The Student Room Group

The media has portrayed a killer of 17 innocent people as a victim!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erratic_deus
What you're talking about makes no sense at all.

How is losing your mother to a sickness at age 18 - a warning sign?

How is having autism - a warning sign?

How is being adopted - a warning sign?

These aren't warning signs, these are "the media is making him out to be a victim of circumstance sign".

Studying his life and his behaviour throughout life can show us where things went wrong. We can’t just slap a big “killer” on his file and call it a day. We need to understand why people like him do what they do so we can prevent it from happening.

Things that happen to you (autism, death of parent) aren’t warning signs, but the actions from them could be. E.g. lashing out when people try to comfort him about his mother (hypothetical)

Again, it isn’t making him a victim. It’s trying to figure out why he did it, to do that we have to look into his life. The press considers those to be key traits of his life. There’s a difference between excuses and reasons.
First of all why are ethnic minority offenders not getting any of these nice power points displayed on national television about what they're missing in their lives.

He was a member of a white supremacist group and he killed 17 innocent people and shot several others. This is what we need to know and this is what he should be sentenced on!

Also, I'm autistic, I've been bullied before and I don't have a father but I'm not going to go and shoot anyone for my own problems! I'm not a victim! I have morals and common sense and I am very empathetic.

He is a white male terrorist and needs to be portrayed as such!

He doesnt count as a terrorist at the moment.
I havent seen them portray him as a victim but a messed up individual that had a grudge after being expelled from school.
They always have power points and infomatics.
Original post by Cod3tte
You don't need a motive.
He caused terror to 17 innocent people and families. Not to mention everyone else at the scene.
Therefore he is a terrorist.

Nope. Terrorism is driven by an ideology. Murder is not the same as terrorism.
Original post by Cod3tte
You don't need a motive.
He caused terror to 17 innocent people and families. Not to mention everyone else at the scene.

By definition, you're wrong. If it turns out that yes, he did this with a political goal/agenda in mind, then he's a terrorist. Before getting ahead of ourselves, we should wait for all the details to emerge. It makes for a more informed, accurate discussion (which is what we should all want in a debate!).
Original post by Cod3tte
Why is it whenever a person of colour does something like this, he is deemed a terrorist.

Whenever a white person does so, he is considered "mentally ill".

No sorry, you're not mentally ill, you're also a terrorist.

Whilst you make a good point about media representation of PoC, a terrorist is defined by the use of crime in order to achieve a political objective, not just anyone who commits mass murder.
Original post by Cod3tte
You don't need a motive.

No, he’s currently a mass murder. The defenition of terrorist mentions that there has to be a political, religious, social or ideological objectives. There is no evidence of this.
Original post by MrDystopia
By definition, you're wrong. If it turns out that yes, he did this with a political goal/agenda in mind, then he's a terrorist. Before getting ahead of ourselves, we should wait for all the details to emerge. It makes for a more informed, accurate discussion (which is what we should all want in a debate!).

The guy was apart of a white supremacist group.
An ideology that white people are superior to everyone else.
How do we know white supremacy wasn't his motive?
Original post by Cod3tte
How do we know white supremacy wasn't his motive?

We don't, as far as I know his motive hasn't been revealed yet. Hence why I said it's best to wait before jumping to conclusions.
Reply 48
Original post by Cod3tte
You don't need a motive.

Only in your world. That means someone who has thrown a brick through your window, is a terrorist, as presumably, you're going to be in fear. So they have caused terror. So you're saying that he is a terrorist? hahahaha
Original post by jdddd
Only in your world. That means someone who has thrown a brick through your window, is a terrorist, as presumably, you're going to be in fear. So they have caused terror. So you're saying that he is a terrorist? hahahaha

Is white supremacy not a motive?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cat_mac
Studying his life and his behaviour throughout life can show us where things went wrong. We can’t just slap a big “killer” on his file and call it a day. We need to understand why people like him do what they do so we can prevent it from happening.

Things that happen to you (autism, death of parent) aren’t warning signs, but the actions from them could be. E.g. lashing out when people try to comfort him about his mother (hypothetical)

Again, it isn’t making him a victim. It’s trying to figure out why he did it, to do that we have to look into his life. The press considers those to be key traits of his life. There’s a difference between excuses and reasons.

How do I add it to the ignore list?

The only reason a white male would kill 17 people on a very fine and seemingly marvelous day is if they were evil. He deserves the death penalty.
Is he not Hispanic?
Reply 52
Original post by Cod3tte
Is white supremacy not motive?

Its not been proved in Court so no. So just because he is 'supposedly' in a white supremacist group that is his indefinite motive? If so why did he target a school, killing people from all backgrounds, colour and ethnicities and not target blacks and only kill blacks?
Original post by Cod3tte
Is white supremacy not motive?

Could be, but we don’t know that yet.
Reply 54
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Is he not Hispanic?

I think so.
Original post by jdddd
Its not been proved in Court so no. So just because he is 'supposedly' in a white supremacist group that is his indefinite motive? If so why did he target a school, killing people from all backgrounds, colour and ethnicities and not target blacks and only kill blacks?

Exactly, like I said earlier the guy is still alive. So the media have to be careful in what they say about him, they can make accusations before a trial has taken place.
He is a victim but that doesn't mean what he did was right. What he did was disgusting and horrific and every other adjective and he should be punished for it, locked up for life, but at the end of the day he's still mentally ill.

Original post by Cod3tte
White privilege.

White privilege isn't a thing.

Furthermore, this isn't a race issue - it's an issue about gun control debates. He isn't being called a terrorist or thug or anything other than mentally unstable and a freak loner because then they'd have to address gun issues.
Reply 57
Original post by Andrew97
Exactly, like I said earlier the guy is still alive. So the media have to be careful in what they say about him, they can make accusations before a trial has taken place.

Lets just say, we are lucky these people are not our Judges and Juries.
How do I add it to the ignore list?

The only reason a white male would kill 17 people on a very fine and seemingly marvelous day is if they were evil. He deserves the death penalty.

yo the death penalty is unethical yo
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Is he not Hispanic?

Hey! I may not study genetics but I know quite a bit and I can say that the hispanic peoples aren't a race but a divisional group. They can be black, white or asian. This particular hispanic is white! He also has the phenotypes of a typical west european/distant native american.

Quick Reply

Latest