The Student Room Group

I don’t get a maintenance because I’m Spanish, shall i still go to uni

I’ve had the idea to go to uni for quite a while to study modern languages (I speak Spanish and Russian) to perfect my Russian and get extra knowledge in Japanese. Uclan (not the most prestigious university) accepted me, and i was gonna accept their offer until i found out I won’t get any maintenance help because I’ve been in the uk for less than 5 years. My parents could send me around 200 pounds and i could work part time,my question is, is it worth the struggle for a Uclan degree? Could i even afford it?
Original post by Martamak
I’ve had the idea to go to uni for quite a while to study modern languages (I speak Spanish and Russian) to perfect my Russian and get extra knowledge in Japanese. Uclan (not the most prestigious university) accepted me, and i was gonna accept their offer until i found out I won’t get any maintenance help because I’ve been in the uk for less than 5 years. My parents could send me around 200 pounds and i could work part time,my question is, is it worth the struggle for a Uclan degree? Could i even afford it?

Have you ever thought about studying in Scotland. By being an EU citizen, you would have the same rights as Scottish citizens by being able to apply for a free university education
Reply 2
Plus as far as i know you need really good grades for Scotland. Shall i just give up on uni? D:
Well your wrong, To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the EU, the EU overseas territories, elsewhere in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course. If I was going to Apply, more Scottish university's are now looking not only at your grades but your personal statement
Plus as far as i know you need really good grades for Scotland. Shall i just give up on uni? D:

You won't get anywhere in life if you don't try, it's like if you don't ask, you don't get
That's only for residents of the UK, it's kind of sad actually that university costs in the rest of the UK but it's free here, like I would like to go to Glasgow Uni, but I've kind of thought about going to LSE, such a dilemma fml
Reply 6
Original post by Respect.Global
You won't get anywhere in life if you don't try, it's like if you don't ask, you don't get

I am so lost right now :frown:
I am so lost right now :frown:

You'll be fine, Just have an amazing personal statement, like make up stuff to make yourself sound great, you'll find your feet. Dm me if you have to

Hi Martamak,

An EU student's entitlement to funding is dependent on their circumstances and where they plan to study.

An EU National studying in England, Wales and Northern Ireland who does not have the relevant 5 years residency within the United Kingdom will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only.

The EEA Migrant Worker team assess students who do not meet the required standard core eligibility requirements, if you or your EU/EEA family member are working in the UK.

If so you may be entitled to full support, including a maintenance loan, as a Migrant Worker.

To be considered as a Migrant Worker you need to have been,

Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of your course.

Ordinary resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course.

You must continue working throughout your studies.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending