The Student Room Group

The media has portrayed a killer of 17 innocent people as a victim!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cod3tte
Is white supremacy not a motive?

White supremacy is a motive! Correct!
Reply 61
Original post by unknown_usr
He is a victim but that doesn't mean what he did was right. What he did was disgusting and horrific and every other adjective and he should be punished for it, locked up for life, but at the end of the day he's still mentally ill.

White privilege isn't a thing.

Furthermore, this isn't a race issue - it's an issue about gun control debates. He isn't being called a terrorist or thug or anything other than mentally unstable and a freak loner because then they'd have to address gun issues.

The argument 'white privilege' hahahaha im done. If he was Black it would go the same way. He would not be labelled as a terrorist. If he was a member of a black supremacist and killed people and not labelled as a terrorist would you say 'Black privilege'? No thought not so shut up.
Original post by erratic_deus
How do I add it to the ignore list?

The only reason a white male would kill 17 people on a very fine and seemingly marvelous day is if they were evil. He deserves the death penalty.

If you don’t understand the importance of criminal psychology in preventing crime, that’s your problem. As a society we need to understand why things happen in order to prevent them, if we just call everyone who does a bad thing evil and write them off, it keeps us vulnerable to it happening again.

Learning about his life is important in the investigation, whether you like it or not.
Original post by unknown_usr
He is a victim but that doesn't mean what he did was right. What he did was disgusting and horrific and every other adjective and he should be punished for it, locked up for life, but at the end of the day he's still mentally ill.

White privilege isn't a thing.

Furthermore, this isn't a race issue - it's an issue about gun control debates. He isn't being called a terrorist or thug or anything other than mentally unstable and a freak loner because then they'd have to address gun issues.

If it isn't a thing, then why is it every time a person of colour does something like this, he is deemed a terrorist, but a white person is labelled "mentally ill"?

Why did the media not call Darren Osborn a terrorist, his intention was to kill Muslims. Or that man who shot black people in a church in America, he clearly stated he wanted to start a race war, yet oh no, he's not a terrorist! He's mentally ill!
Original post by cat_mac
If you don’t understand the importance of criminal psychology in preventing crime, that’s your problem. As a society we need to understand why things happen in order to prevent them, if we just call everyone who does a bad thing evil and write them off, it keeps us vulnerable to it happening again.

Learning about his life is important in the investigation, whether you like it or not.

1. He's white
2. He believes he is superior
3. He joined a white supremacist group

We need to make sure all white supremacists are put away into prisons and refused to buy guns before this rubbish could happen again!
Reply 65
Hey! I may not study genetics but I know quite a bit and I can say that the hispanic peoples aren't a race but a divisional group. They can be black, white or asian. This particular hispanic is white! He also has the phenotypes of a typical west european/distant native american.

I can confirm Hispanic is a race.
Original post by Cod3tte
Why did the media not call Darren Osborn a terrorist, his intention was to kill Muslims

The BBC article on his verdict* did..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cod3tte
If it isn't a thing, then why is it every time a person of colour does something like this, he is deemed a terrorist, but a white person is labelled "mentally ill"?

Why did the media not call Darren Osborn a terrorist, his intention was to kill Muslims. Or that man who shot black people in a church in America, he clearly stated he wanted to start a race war, yet oh no, he's not a terrorist! He's mentally ill!

I'm not well versed in these individual cases but I'd still argue it's not a race thing. Again, we're talking about this particular case whereupon it's more likely that mental illness and social alienation as well as a rough home life is the root cause of this incident.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by George____t
It's important to try and understand criminals so as to understand what leads them to crime. Whilst criminals like him should not be portrayed as a victim as he has clearly made his own choices, we should be doing more as a society to prevent young people becoming like him. In this sense, his background is important.

Nevertheless I completely get that PoC aren't given the same treatment which is clearly a problem.

I agree with this

Also, OP just because you have autism too doesn't mean you understand. Most mental conditions effect people in different ways, and just because you are an empathetic person, doesn't mean that another person with autism may not have their empathy inhibited by the condition. He did a terrible thing and will be punished accordingly (depending on how you view the justice system). The fact that he has a mental illness may well have been a factor in why he did what he did.
Original post by jdddd
I can confirm Hispanic is a race.

Hispanic is not a race.
Reply 70
1. He's white

We need to make sure all white supremacists are put away into prisons and refused to buy guns before this rubbish could happen again!

So that indefinitely his motive? If that is his motive, why did he not target blacks?
Hispanic is not a race.

yes it is
1. He's white

Exactly! Instead they get their cases sugarcoated.

Oh no, no, no, he's not a terrorist. The poor boy is just mentally ill.

Here's the truth:
He's a racist, piece of scum that needs to be locked up for life.
1. He's white

Yes, and the same goes for black supremacists! They don't get the slandering in the media that the white supremacists do but are equally deserving of it.
1. He's white

Literally no relevance to what I said but okay! Honestly like talking to a brick wall. :banghead:
Reply 75
Reply 76
Original post by Cod3tte
Exactly! Instead they get their cases sugarcoated.

Oh no, no, no, he's not a terrorist. The poor boy is just mentally ill.

Here's the truth:
He's a racist, piece of scum that needs to be locked up for life.

Why don't you ever answer my replies? No argument? Playing the race card?
Original post by Cod3tte
Is white supremacy not a motive?

It's a potential motive. Holding extremist views does not mean all actions are performed with the intent of furthering those views. He'll stand trial and be judged by those qualified to do so, ascertaining his motives properly, not by the hysterical responses of the chattering masses: the Americans do not live in a system of mob justice any more than we do.
Reply 78
Incorrect.

Just because you're a white supremacist doesn't mean your no.1 target is the black race and its peoples.
White supremacists are pretty much every white-settler of European descent who lived in America before the 1910s and didn't speak up about race-related issues.

So white supremacists want to kill everyone then?
Original post by jdddd
Why don't you ever answer my replies? No argument? Playing the race card?

Playing the race card, of course you'd say that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending