The Student Room Group

Sentence starting

If your convicted of a serious crime and found guilty by a jury. Is it true that your sentence doesn’t start until you acknowledge what you have done and admit your guilt to the authorities/ legal team.
Reply 1
Original post by Gemmaj94
If your convicted of a serious crime and found guilty by a jury. Is it true that your sentence doesn’t start until you acknowledge what you have done and admit your guilt to the authorities/ legal team.

No. No one ever has to say they are guilty for their sentence to start. Your sentence begins once you are sentenced.
Lol no where did you get this infornation? People do 20 year bids and say they are innocent all the way through even after release.
Reply 3
Original post by Got Milk
Lol no where did you get this infornation? People do 20 year bids and say they are innocent all the way through even after release.

I know that I was confirming what I know someone else isn’t disputing it!!
Reply 4
Original post by ruthflame57
No. No one ever has to say they are guilty for their sentence to start. Your sentence begins once you are sentenced.

Thought so thank you.
Reply 5

Original post by Gemmaj94
Thought so thank you.

Yes, although it may include time spent while held on remand before sentencing.

So the sentence time served starts from when the defendent is first remanded in custody, not the date of sentencing. It may also include time spent on bail depending on the bail conditions (e.g. if it includes a curfew).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes, although it will include time spent while held on remand before sentencing.

So the sentence time served starts from when the defendent is first remanded in custody, not the date of sentencing. It may also include time spent on bail depending on the bail conditions (e.g. if it includes a curfew).

Thank you, although I am a Law student and I typically find a straight to the point answer that simply answers the question at hand works best!
Reply 7
Thank you, although I am a Law student and I typically find a straight to the point answer that simply answers the question at hand works best!

Well IANAL :biggrin:

Also note my important edit above. Time spent on remand may not actually count...
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/sentencing-overview

Quick Reply

Latest