The Student Room Group

I am depressed and not motivated to do anything. Please help! :(

I have felt like this constantly for the past 4 weeks. Tbf it has been on and off for the past 10 months but it is at it's worst now. I haven't been to the gym in over 2 weeks and have zero motivation to do college work or any extra work. No motivation tactics that normally work are helping. I literally have no idea what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phillip Banks
It is probably best to head to your GP.

what would they do?
Original post by Phillip Banks
You obviously have an ongoing issue. A GP could provide better advice than an online student forum.

Fair enough, i may just wait it out till college starts again. If it continues then I will.
Original post by Ryanthom100
Fair enough, i may just wait it out till college starts again. If it continues then I will.

Definitely head to your GP. The cause could be multiple things. It could be that you might benefit from antidepressants.

I personally felt the same. A complete lack of motivation to coincide with physical tiredness. Turned out I had something called hypothyroidism (Thyroid controls your energy levels) and have been feeling much more capable since taking the meds I was given.

It’s been ongoing for some time for you so best to get it seen to!
Original post by FloralHybrid
Definitely head to your GP. The cause could be multiple things. It could be that you might benefit from antidepressants.

I personally felt the same. A complete lack of motivation to coincide with physical tiredness. Turned out I had something called hypothyroidism (Thyroid controls your energy levels) and have been feeling much more capable since taking the meds I was given.

It’s been ongoing for some time for you so best to get it seen to!

I will wait till college starts but it seems that i may have that. I'm just not willing to admit I have. I want to be motivated naturally tbh, not by pills.
Have you tried watching motivational speeches? TED Talks are brilliant, or just generally anything motivational-related on Youtube.

More of a short-term solution, but can always help until you're ready to see a GP about it.
Reply 6
I will wait till college starts but it seems that i may have that. I'm just not willing to admit I have. I want to be motivated naturally tbh, not by pills.

How do you feel otherwise about things at the moment? Are you doing things you want and like to do; do you feel there is something missing?
I have felt like this constantly for the past 4 weeks. Tbf it has been on and off for the past 10 months but it is at it's worst now. I haven't been to the gym in over 2 weeks and have zero motivation to do college work or any extra work. No motivation tactics that normally work are helping. I literally have no idea what to do :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that. :hugs:

I'd definitely recommend going to see a GP about the depression. Depression can be a real b*tch. Also, if you ever need to just talk to someone, the Samaritans helpline (116 123) is fantastic; it's free, confidential, available 24/7, and doesn't appear on phone bills.

One thing you could try is setting yourself one small task for each day and, if you complete that task, your day’s been a success - regardless of what else happens. To start, the task may just be getting out of bed, having a shower, and getting dressed. Then, over time, you can add new tasks.
Original post by euphrosyne
Have you tried watching motivational speeches? TED Talks are brilliant, or just generally anything motivational-related on Youtube.

More of a short-term solution, but can always help until you're ready to see a GP about it.

Tried motivational videos/speeches (didn't work). May try TED talk a more tho
Just DOOOOOOO IT
Original post by craigish
How do you feel otherwise about things at the moment? Are you doing things you want and like to do; do you feel there is something missing?

I can't find a job atm and cba to do volunteer work unless it's related to computing. I have been weirdly obsessed with this girl for the past 10 months who goes to my college which may be one cause. Boredom is also another, having hardly any college work doesn't help. Even then, I struggle to do it because of how unmotivated I am :frown:
Tried motivational videos/speeches (didn't work). May try TED talk a more tho

You should give it a go. Sit in bed, stick some headphones in and just try to relax while listening to other people tell their stories. It can be so therapeutic.

The "popular talks of all time" is a good place to start :h:
Original post by ChocCheesecake
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that. :hugs:

I'd definitely recommend going to see a GP about the depression. Depression can be a real b*tch. Also, if you ever need to just talk to someone, the Samaritans helpline (116 123) is fantastic; it's free, confidential, available 24/7, and doesn't appear on phone bills.

One thing you could try is setting yourself one small task for each day and, if you complete that task, your day’s been a success - regardless of what else happens. To start, the task may just be getting out of bed, having a shower, and getting dressed. Then, over time, you can add new tasks.

I'm not too keen about talking to someone over a phone tbh, i would prefer face to face. I emailed my college student support anonymously about everything and i'm still waiting for a reply (it's been over 2 days now).

That normally doesn't work for me, unless i am given a task I wont be bothered to do anything...
Original post by euphrosyne
You should give it a go. Sit in bed, stick some headphones in and just try to relax while listening to other people tell their stories. It can be so therapeutic.

The "popular talks of all time" is a good place to start :h:

I will check one out before I go to sleep, thanks :smile:
Depressions a whore you need help from a doctor. You might be prescribed anti depressants to help with your mood, sleep, energy and whatnot but you’ve got to be careful with them because instead of resolving your problem once and for all it may aggravate it.. no better than a doctor to give you the necessary orientation to handle it
[video="youtube;yVG3C1b43uo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVG3C1b43uo[/video]

It’s not that the pills give you motivation. It’s that they give you the serotonin / dopamine you’re lacking, which in turn gives you the strength to motivate yourself. It’s a chemical imbalance - Nothing at all to be ashamed of. x
I can't find a job atm and cba to do volunteer work unless it's related to computing. I have been weirdly obsessed with this girl for the past 10 months who goes to my college which may be one cause. Boredom is also another, having hardly any college work doesn't help. Even then, I struggle to do it because of how unmotivated I am :frown:

Well, I know exactly what that is like and, trust me, I really don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong. It's easy in today's world to think you've got a serious problem if you aren't livin' it up every second of the day and you don't have a care in the world.

Not to undermine the suggestions of others, visiting your GP isn't a bad idea, and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but what I'm trying to say is don't panic just because things aren't great or even normal.

The job and girl thing, don't underestimate what that can do. It can make you feel pretty *****y.

Are you happy with your course at college?
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not too keen about talking to someone over a phone tbh, i would prefer face to face. I emailed my college student support anonymously about everything and i'm still waiting for a reply (it's been over 2 days now).

That normally doesn't work for me, unless i am given a task I wont be bothered to do anything...

That’s understandable. :smile:

The Samaritans have a bunch of branchs around England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales (https://www.samaritans.org/branches) where you can talk to people face to face.
Original post by FloralHybrid
It’s not that the pills give you motivation. It’s that they give you the serotonin / dopamine you’re lacking, which in turn gives you the strength to motivate yourself. It’s a chemical imbalance - Nothing at all to be ashamed of. x

Yeah true. I guess I'm just afraid of going to a doctor for some strange reason

Quick Reply

Latest