The Student Room Group

How much student earn while studying in hatfield?

Hii, I am planning to study in university of hertfordshire this year, I wanted to know how much I will be able to earn(minimum or average) while studying?
Original post by Ms_10
Hii, I am planning to study in university of hertfordshire this year, I wanted to know how much I will be able to earn(minimum or average) while studying?

Hi @Ms_10

It's great you're planning on studying with us. There's plenty of jobs you can do during your studies such as being an ambassador for the university, working within the Students Union or in the local area. There's a limit on how many hours you can work whilst you are studying, which is usually 15 hours a week.

Thanks,
Heather
Reply 2
Hi, I think the time limit is 20 hours a week. Will I be able to earn around 150 pounds a week?
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi @Ms_10

It's great you're planning on studying with us. There's plenty of jobs you can do during your studies such as being an ambassador for the university, working within the Students Union or in the local area. There's a limit on how many hours you can work whilst you are studying, which is usually 15 hours a week.

Thanks,
Heather
Original post by Ms_10
Hi, I think the time limit is 20 hours a week. Will I be able to earn around 150 pounds a week?

Hi Ms_10

It will depend on the number of hours per week and rate of pay. Here's some of the jobs currently advertised through the students' union to give you an idea of pay: https://hertfordshire.su/jobs/browse/

Thanks,
Heather
Reply 4
Thanks for replying. I had one more question.
I am coming their with my 2 friend we have planned to live off campus and we r planning to live cheap so, how much it will cost us per month including rent, food, bills? Just a average no. Per person.
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi Ms_10

It will depend on the number of hours per week and rate of pay. Here's some of the jobs currently advertised through the students' union to give you an idea of pay: https://hertfordshire.su/jobs/browse/

Thanks,
Heather
Original post by Ms_10
I am coming their with my 2 friend we have planned to live off campus and we r planning to live cheap so, how much it will cost us per month including rent, food, bills? Just a average no. Per person.

No worries. @Michelle Bieger could you share your experiences?
Original post by Ms_10

So to give you an idea and some tips...

Rent
The Student's Union list of houses to rent is quite useful when you're new to the area, as I know they can be very helpful with guiding you through the process of renting. I personally haven't used them--I have used Wrights estate agents (located in town centre). I've had a great experience with them--they have a lot of properties in South Hatfield (the area behind the petrol station located on Bishops Rise), are always kind, and have been very flexible and informative for first-time renters.

I've lived with three other students, so my rent reflects that--it will be cheaper than yours as you are only living with two others. (Facebook is a good place to scout for people if you do decide to live with more people.) The best places to look at are South Hatfield (very residential, so it's a bit further out from the Uni, but it's only 15 minutes or so to College Lane and the price makes it worth it), or if you're willing to live a bit further out, by Asda. DeHav as a general rule is a bit pricier. I've found that rents for

Usually I would say to start trying to find a place ASAP, but with on-campus accommodation being so available I believe there's an abundance of off-campus housing for the taking for next year, so you can take a little more time to figure this out this year.

Food
This is the one that most varies based on what kind of person you are! I tend to average about £15 a week, but I quite like Aldi (located across from the back of the Galleria, on the DeHav side) as I find it suitable for most of my needs and of more than sufficient quality! I think I'm in the average, leaning on frugal, side when it comes to this. The general range is £10-25, with £10 still being doable though definitely not ideal.

If you have access to car, Tesco is also around in the area and is good value for money; there's also an Asda in town centre and a Co-Op/One Stop on Bishops Rise if you're looking for a quick, convenient trip. If you're looking at a £10-15 range, I would stick with Aldi--it's much harder to achieve this kind of budget in Asda--there's just too much distraction in the aisles and misleading 'deals' :biggrin:

Going out
My going-out or "fun" budget is the most expensive part of living here, I think. We have two pubs that are most frequented by students in Hatfield (there are more in Old Hatfield that are definitely worth a trip to, but are more of a splashout!)--Elehouse on campus, and Wetherspoons by Aldi. Elehouse is good value for money--as an example, you'd be looking at £5-7 for a burger and a beer. There's a lot of deals on at campus during the week--Cheeky Wednesdays at the Forum is cheap if you buy tickets in advance online (£5 entry, deals on drinks), Style Bar is half-price cocktails on a Friday, and Ele has drinks deals that vary from week to week as well! If you plan in advance, there's tons to do on the "going out" side and even more to do in the general area (eg. going to St. Albans, London...etc.).

Bills
Luckily I have a deals-savvy housemate that has taken care of this for me for the past three years! What we do is we have a dedicated bank account for bills, which gets direct debited by the utilities we choose and which we put in £50 a month in. At the end of each semester or so, we usually get some money back from the utilities--usually around £30-45, as we update the meter readings and the utilities find that they've overcharged us (they debit you based one estimations of how much you've used). Probably the best deal for internet is Virgin Media (they're prevalent in the area, have fiber optic, and are quite good for customer service and installing everything for you). As for utilities--ours might not be the best deal for you; I would check out this link for guidance on choosing and switching to get the best deal. Make sure if you can to get a smart meter for gas/electric (it helps keeps costs down once you've realized how much you've already used up for the day...)

I know that was quite long, but this is all the kind of stuff that I wish someone had told me before I started! I hope you find this useful, and if you have any more questions please feel free to let me know!

Quick Reply

Latest