The Student Room Group

Dropping subject - Trinity College Cambridge

I have received an offer of A*A*A at Trinity. Currently, I am taking 4 subjects at A-level. However, I am planning to drop one. Do I have to inform the college of my decision or will, since they only offered me on three subjects, they be legally obliged to take me anyway if I make the grades?

Any help would be appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123Master321
I have received an offer of a*a*a at Trinity. Currently, I am taking 4 subjects at A-level. However, I am planning to drop one. Do I have to inform the college of my decision or will, since they only offered me on three subjects, they be legally obliged to take me anyway if I make the grades?

It probably won't affect your offer but it is a good idea to inform them so that you can;t be accused of withholding info.
Original post by alleycat393
It probably won't affect your offer but it is a good idea to inform them so that you can;t be accused of withholding info.

Is withholding info an actual admissions term?

The offer criteria were essentially that across the four subjects I need A*A*A (+1,1 in STEP) and the way I see it, all I need to do is make that and it doesn't matter how I do?
Oh and @Doonesbury since you seem to know a bit about applications.
Is withholding info an actual admissions term?

The offer criteria were essentially that across the four subjects I need A*A*A (+1,1 in STEP) and the way I see it, all I need to do is make that and it doesn't matter how I do?

I don't know if it is actual admissions term. You can find each uni's admissions policies through their websites. Yes that's what your offer means but I don't see any harm in letting them know. Beside, they made the offer on the basis that you were doing 4 subjects and not 3 so your circumstances have changed. What is stopping you? All you have to do is email [email protected]
I have received an offer of A*A*A at Trinity. Currently, I am taking 4 subjects at A-level. However, I am planning to drop one. Do I have to inform the college of my decision or will, since they only offered me on three subjects, they be legally obliged to take me anyway if I make the grades?

Original post by FriarTuck
This isn't from Pembroke but I'm sure it applies similarly to all colleges. This was written in my offer letter:

"1. You must complete the qualifications as outlined in your UCAS application and obtain the following examination results by 31 August of this year (unless explicitly specified, these results are required from the qualifications you listed as not yet completed):

If you propose to vary any of the information in the "qualifications not yet completed or certificated" section of your UCAS application, you are required to inform both UCAS and the College with full details by 30 April of this year. "

I'm not sure if Pembroke has a different deadline but you should contact them asap have to see if they will be okay with you dropping the AS.

I've quoted a response I gave to another poster that asked the same sort of thing a while back so I think it applies here too :-) . You have to inform all your choices in UCAS if you intend to change any of the qualifications you said you were going to take in UCAS
I don't know if it is actual admissions term. You can find each uni's admissions policies through their websites. Yes that's what your offer means but I don't see any harm in letting them know. Beside, they made the offer on the basis that you were doing 4 subjects and not 3 so your circumstances have changed. What is stopping you? All you have to do is email [email protected]

I understand that but logically to me it doesnt make sense for this arrangement not to be possible, as although they made the offer thinking I was taking 4 subjects what is to stop me from 'mentally' dropping the subject instead and failing it, the result is the same. I understand there's no harm but in terms of logistics I really want to be able to drop the 4th subject and focus on my other three ASAP.
I understand that but logically to me it doesnt make sense for this arrangement not to be possible, as although they made the offer thinking I was taking 4 subjects what is to stop me from 'mentally' dropping the subject instead and failing it, the result is the same. I understand there's no harm but in terms of logistics I really want to be able to drop the 4th subject and focus on my other three ASAP.

Right we're just going round in circles now. You have been advised about what you need to do. If you choose not to that's up to you but you do risk losing your place over not informing the unis that your circumstances have changed. Good luck!
Original post by FriarTuck
I've quoted a response I gave to another poster that asked the same sort of thing a while back so I think it applies here too :-) . You have to inform all your choices in UCAS if you intend to change any of the qualifications you said you were going to take in UCAS

This was very much appreciated. I think my action will be as follows:

1) Inform by e-mail to both my firm and insurance choice asking them if this is possible
2) Inform UCAS to the same effect
Right we're just going round in circles now. You have been advised about what you need to do. If you choose not to that's up to you but you do risk losing your place over not informing the unis that your circumstances have changed. Good luck!

Yes thank you, I will inform the unis first that Im planning to discontinue the 4th subject. I will then contact UCAS. Would you recommend contacting all unis or just the firm and insurance choices?
Yes thank you, I will inform the unis first that Im planning to discontinue the 4th subject. I will then contact UCAS. Would you recommend contacting all unis or just the firm and insurance choices?

You need to do it through UCAS and all your options will get the update.
You need to do it through UCAS and all your options will get the update.

And at that point I presume the unis can choose to withdraw the offer. If that were the case, could I then revoke my decision to drop the subject?
Reply 12
Hi,

I was literally in the same situation as you (although my offer is in NatSci!), the grade requirements A*A*A, so as I didn’t need my fourth A level, I decided to drop one. I just emailed the admissions tutor (Stacey Smith) and asked her if it would affect my offer - she said it wouldn’t. So I’d email them beforehand just to receive confirmation as to whether would affect your offer, which I doubt it will.
Original post by TunaPal
Hi,

I was literally in the same situation as you (although my offer is in NatSci!), the grade requirements A*A*A, so as I didn’t need my fourth A level, I decided to drop one. I just emailed the admissions tutor (Stacey Smith) and asked her if it would affect my offer - she said it wouldn’t. So I’d email them beforehand just to receive confirmation as to whether would affect your offer, which I doubt it will.

Oh thank you!!! It's great that you are in the same position. I have just emailed Stacey Smith and given that your offer has not changed this is very good news for me, what did she tell you to do (contact UCAS,etc)
Reply 14

Oh and @Doonesbury since you seem to know a bit about applications.

And at that point I presume the unis can choose to withdraw the offer. If that were the case, could I then revoke my decision to drop the subject?

You have to contact any university offering you, or yet to make a decision, about any changes to your application *in advance*. Before contacting UCAS.

So yes, contact your College now and ask if it will be ok to drop a subject. They might say yes, they might say no, but you can't just drop a subject unilaterally. It would potentially void your application.
(edited 6 years ago)

As above. Your steps should be:
Email all admissions tutors to check which decisions will be affected
Make a final decision about whether to drop the subject or not
Update UCAS
Not too sure where it lies here, but I think you may have to inform the college/uni of your intent, it may be less messy if the subject you intend to drop is not listed as part of your offer.
Reply 17
As above. Your steps should be:
Email all admissions tutors to check which decisions will be affected
Make a final decision about whether to drop the subject or not
Update UCAS

Yup, and then re-email the universities/college to confirm they've made the change. I don't think updating UCAS on it's own will automatically notify the universities/college.
Original post by Doonesbury
You have to contact any university offering you, or yet to make a decision, about any changes to your application *in advance*. Before conacting UCAS.

So yes, contact your College now and ask if it will be ok to drop a subject. They might say yes, they might say no, but you can't just drop a subject unilaterally. It would potentially void your application.

Ok thank you, I have contacted Cambridge and will do the same for my insurance(which only offered me on 3 subjects and specified which they had to be). Then and only then will I contact UCAS. Given @TunaPal was in a similar situation and dropped successfully, I think that this arrangement should be possible. Thank you for the help.
Original post by Doonesbury
Yup, and then re-email the universities/college to confirm they've made the change. I don't think updating UCAS on it's own will automatically notify the universities/college.

How long does it take for UCAS to make the change?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending