The Student Room Group

Just Celebrating Africans!

Every single person in this planet has an African ancestor!

We are all Africans and every single person should also respect Africa, the most diverse continent in the world!

Home to every single race on the planet!

If you're a Berber, Hadharem, Yoruba, Tuareg, Igbo, Iteso, Cushite, Tigray, Rashaida, Nilote, Xhosa, Oromo, Zulu or Maasai and so forth!

Celebrate your culture in this thread.

I don't know everything about Africa, but I do have an extensive knowledge of its peoples and the sub-groups within it.

I'll also try to inform people of the beautiful diverse groups within Africa and their history as much as I can.

But hey! There's a youtuber who I follow that is also a very credible source of information : Masaman

Scroll to see replies

1. The Hadharem peoples

Also known as Hadhrami, the Hadharem peoples are a little known Semitic branch of people found mainly in Eastern Africa + Yemen!

Hadharem people generally speak Hebrew, Tigrinya or even Amharic!

Notable Hadharem people include Mari Alkatiri and the notorious Bin Laden family. Although this shouldn't stain your perception of the Hadharem people!

2. The genetics of the Hadharem peoples

Hadharem people have an ever-growing presence in Israel, South Yemen and the coast of the Horn of Africa.
The linguistics of the Hadharem peoples also changes depending on region.
One thing that sets apart Hadharems from other Africans is their distinct facial structure!

Hadharem people have a strong east african (cushitic) influence despite the fact that the majority of them are based in Yemen.

Groups of Hadharem appear all over East Africa! With some being in Uganda, Kenya, Somalia and outside East Africa, some Hadharem people blend in with Indonesians and Saudi Arabians!

3. The significance of the Hadharem peoples

Hadharem people have suffered from persecution in the past, specifically those that identify as Jews.
The vast majority of Hadharem now live in Israel and many others who make up part of the diaspora community live all over Africa!
Many Hadharem people who have converted to Islam are scholars in the community and are quite significant members of the largest religion in the world!

Thanks for reading!

Here is a picture of a Hadharem boy in East Africa!
Ummm I think Christianity is the largest religion in the world, not Islam.
1. The Maasai peoples

A well known Nilotic group found in Kenya is the ever-present Maasai group!

Maasai people have been studied frequently by scientists and are known to be one of the most 'interesting' tribes in Africa (I beg to differ lol)

The Maasai people have traditionally stood against slavery and lived alongside most wild animals with an aversion to eating game and birds.

They also speak a Nilo-Saharan language and many can speak in Swahili or Luganda (dependent on Region)

Maasai society is strongly patriarchal in nature, with elder men, sometimes joined by retired elders, deciding most major matters for each Maasai group.

2. The genetics of the Maasai peoples

Many Maasai people have the observed haplogroup E1B1B!

Maasai people are distinguished by their tallness, their dark rich skin and their facial structure. Which differs from other bantu groups in Africa.

They account for only about 0.7 percent of Kenya's population, with a similar number living in Tanzania.

The Samburu is the closest to the Maasai in both language and cultural authenticity.

3. The significance of the Maasai peoples

Due to an increase in Maasai population, the Maasai were forced to develop new ways of sustaining themselves.
Many Maasai people began to cultivate maize and other crops to get by, a practice that was culturally viewed negatively
Many Maasai have moved away from the nomadic life to positions in commerce and government.

Notable figures include : Edward Lowassa who was prime minister of Tanzania!

Thanks for reading!

Here is a picture of a Maasai male in his beautiful tribal clothing!
1. The Yoruba peoples

The yoruba constitute over 40 million people in total and make up 21% of Nigeria's population.

They are also part of the Bantu group.

The Yoruba tribe shares borders (within Nigeria) with the Bariba, Nube, Ebira and Edo groups in Nigeria.

Significant Yoruba populations can be found in other West African countries such as Ghana.

The Yoruba are traditionally a very religious people, and are today pluralistic in their religious convictions!

Yoruba drums are also used quite often in pop culture! Notable artists include: WizKid

2. The genetics of the Yoruba peoples

Yoruba people or descendants can be found all over the world especially in the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States, Cuba, Brazil, Latin America, and the Caribbean.

Yoruba people have historically been spread around the globe by the combined forces of the Atlantic slave trade and voluntary self migration.

The Yoruba present the highest dizygotic twinning rate in the world (4.4% of all maternities) which is about 50 to 1000 births!

Historically, Yoruba tribes have been around (recorded) since the European definition of Middle ages! (7th Century).

3. The significance of the Yoruba peoples

The Yoruba take immense pride in their attire, for which they are well known. Clothing materials traditionally come from processed cotton by traditional weavers.

The Yoruba are also famous for their magnificent terra cotta works throughout the 12th and 14th century; artists also earnests their capacity in making artwork out of bronze.

Notable figures include: David Oyelowo (Selma), Babatunde Olatunji (Drummer) and Ibeyi (a mixed-race duo artist)

Thanks for reading! Here is a picture of a beautiful Terra-Cotta sculpture.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Can we celebrate other cultures?
Original post by Phillip Banks
Can we celebrate other cultures?

Of course you can. I want to also make a thread on "Just Celebrating Asians" but I'll leave you to it (if you want).

There are many diverse groups in Asia, it isn't exactly just Indian, Chinese and Russian!

If I was to make one, I'd focus on the Dravidian groups and its tribes, the Indo-Europeans, the Mongolics and the Eurasians (Let's not forget the Tibetans! haha)

I may make one on Europeans, however I'll focus on the Europeans who aren't exactly "celebrated" e.g the Eastern Europeans, Italians, Iberians.

Good luck! Also I'd recommend you learn about the groups first. I pretty much know a lot about every single continent. Maybe its because of my Asperger's. I've gone too much into detail.
1. The Tuareg peoples

The Tuareg peoples are a large Berber ethnic group found primarily in North Africa!

They speak Afro-Asiatic languages such as Tamash and are native to Southern Algeria, Mali and Burkina Faso!

Tuareg society has traditionally featured clan membership and the Tuaregs have been called the "blue people" for the indigo-dye colored clothes they traditionally wear and which stains their skin.

The majority are semi-nomadic Muslim people and they are believed to be descendants of the Berber natives of North Africa! How interesting (if you're into anthropology)

2. The genetics of the Tuareg peoples

E1b1b is the most common paternal haplogroup among the Tuareg. Which, if you read my previous post you'd notice that most Maasai members also possess this haplogroup!

According to mtDNA analysis, the Tuareg peoples in Libya predominantly carry the H1 haplogroup (61%).
This is the highest global frequency found so far of the maternal strongly supporting the Y-dna Adam theory!

So what does this mean? They share the same haplogroups as pretty much every Western European yet they are found in Africa! Awesome!

3. The significance of the Tuareg peoples

You know, ever since I found out about Tuaregs I've been so fascinated with them and their culture. Any trip to Morocco or Algeria will surely showcase the significance of this Berber sub-group!
They've contributed significantly to the Astronomical community and they are also well known for their nomadic architecture. They may have invented tents!

Notable figures include Brigi Rafini, prime minister of Niger!

Thank you for reading!

Here is a picture of a person of Tuareg origin!
Reply 8
Please tell us about the cheddar man.

Also tell us why modern day Jews are white, rather than mainly Arab or Black.

Not saying there are no coloured Jews. I just notice more Caucasian Jews.
Original post by Fruli
Please tell us about the cheddar man.

Also tell us why modern day Jews are white, rather than mainly Arab or Black.

Not saying there are no coloured Jews. I just notice more Caucasian Jews.

Those are Ashkenazi or Sephardic jews.
I can talk more about them, but I'll make a separate thread!

What I know is that Ashkenazi jews predominately make up Israel, they identify is Israeli but they're eastern european diaspora.

Sephardic jews are mainly from the Iberian region!

These two groups of Jews both moved to Israel post 1945. They're very interesting groups!

If you want, please check out this; [video="youtube;SZAfdrPuj74"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAfdrPuj74[/video]
Reply 10
Can you post about the Igbos - thanks!
Original post by lonyeka
Can you post about the Igbos - thanks!

Oh yeah! The southern-nigerians, of course I'll post about them.
I'm just regathering information so everything I say is accurate!
Reply 12
Yep :lol: But hey, at least this thread is positive and isn't as controversial.. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by erratic_deus
Those are Ashkenazi or Sephardic jews.
I can talk more about them, but I'll make a separate thread!

What I know is that Ashkenazi jews predominately make up Israel, they identify is Israeli but they're eastern european diaspora.

Sephardic jews are mainly from the Iberian region!

These two groups of Jews both moved to Israel post 1945. They're very interesting groups!

If you want, please check out this; [video="youtube;SZAfdrPuj74"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAfdrPuj74[/video]

Thank you. Always been interested in this question.

Are there any Jewish museums in London that you might recommend.

I’m talking while history of Israelites, not just holocaust
Reply 14
Start one. I’d be curious to see it.
Reply 15
To be fair, white people should celebrate their own culture and shouldn’t need another race to do it for them.

No, we don’t think it’s racist for you to celebrate st George’s day.

Fill your boots.
I thought it was obvious that was a joke.Clearly not.
Original post by k.n.h.
Yep :lol: But hey, at least this thread is positive and isn't as controversial.. :smile:

Wait for it.......
Lo I agree with that. For me it has happened on a number occasions to at a point were im like 'What do ppl actually do for fun these days'
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Lo I agree with that. For me it has happened on a number occasions to at a point were im like 'What do ppl actually do for fun these days'

Hey this doesn't have anything to do with my thread.
Stop.

Latest

Trending

Trending