The Student Room Group

Advice for applying to medicine

Scroll to see replies

To reassure you, I took Bio, Chem, Maths and French at AS. I got a B in maths and dropped it (wasn't enjoying it anyway). Now I've applied and I have 2 offers for Medicine! Sometimes other subjects can make you stand out - the majority of applicants do the 2 sciences and maths but it is in no way necessary to!
Good luck x
Original post by Wandering_Panda
I’m currently in year 12 taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Art (thinking of taking all four as A Levels. However, if I’m to drop one, it will most likely be maths) with my AS exams coming up soon. After just completing my mocks, I gained B’s (nearing A’s) across the board.
In my GCSEs I achieved two 8’s, one 9, one A and five A*.
Following what I’ve said, does anyone have any advice or tips for applying to medicine please? Anything would be really appreciated (work experience, my subjects, applications or UKCAT etc etc)

I say look for work experience that involves talking to people, for example even working in a shop for a bit is useful because you get to talk about leadership,teamwork and communication all from the same work experience.
Original post by BeccaHeritage
To reassure you, I took Bio, Chem, Maths and French at AS. I got a B in maths and dropped it (wasn't enjoying it anyway). Now I've applied and I have 2 offers for Medicine! Sometimes other subjects can make you stand out - the majority of applicants do the 2 sciences and maths but it is in no way necessary to!
Good luck x

That is reassuring but the only difference is that you still have 3 academic subjects and if I drop Maths, I will only have 2 ( i don’t think Art is an academic). But it is good to know that Maths isn’t an necessity. If you don’t mind me asking, What unis did you apply for?
Original post by Danielaprice123
I say look for work experience that involves talking to people, for example even working in a shop for a bit is useful because you get to talk about leadership,teamwork and communication all from the same work experience.

I have done volunteering at a charity shop for 6 months for my DofE last year but all I did was make sure the clothes were facing the correct way on the rail and sweep the floor. I will try and find some volunteer work over summer but my last experience didn’t really involve much teamwork or communication at all
I have done volunteering at a charity shop for 6 months for my DofE last year but all I did was make sure the clothes were facing the correct way on the rail and sweep the floor. I will try and find some volunteer work over summer but my last experience didn’t really involve much teamwork or communication at all

I thought that some of my work experience was good but some of it was similar to you, didn’t really do much, and it’s not helpful for when writing your personal statement and going for interviews. I would say doing some work experience in care home or get a summer job in a retail shop or something. I remember some medical schools telling me that they’d rather prefer you showed skills than for you to have hospital work experience and do nothing. Hospital work experience is very good though so if you manage to organise some, definitely go for it but be proactive and talk to the patients.
That is reassuring but the only difference is that you still have 3 academic subjects and if I drop Maths, I will only have 2 ( i don’t think Art is an academic). But it is good to know that Maths isn’t an necessity. If you don’t mind me asking, What unis did you apply for?

I still wouldn't think you would be at a disadvantage for having art. As the entry requirements say, the 3rd A Level can be anything just not critical thinking or general studies. In fact, if you are asked about it, saying you find Art a way to relax, they would like that!
I applied to Leicester, Southampton, Bristol and St George's, offers from Leicester and Southampton.
Was going to hammer home that A-Level Maths =/= more offers. More academic subjects =/= more offers. AAA = more offers/opportunities, so do what you need to get that.

Also look at recent long term volunteering that you can reflect on. Try a hospice or even a go back to a charity shop; though the latter is often viewed as less caring, you can still try and get some communication experience out of it (and possibly bolster you confidence when it comes to interviews as you've had practice talking to strangers). I had a friend who started off volunteering in a hospital shop and managed to get a more 'caring' volunteer position by forming connections.
Reply 27
I still wouldn't think you would be at a disadvantage for having art. As the entry requirements say, the 3rd A Level can be anything just not critical thinking or general studies. In fact, if you are asked about it, saying you find Art a way to relax, they would like that!
I applied to Leicester, Southampton, Bristol and St George's, offers from Leicester and Southampton.

Which one are you planning on picking?
I’m currently in year 12 taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Art (thinking of taking all four as A Levels. However, if I’m to drop one, it will most likely be maths) with my AS exams coming up soon. After just completing my mocks, I gained B’s (nearing A’s) across the board.
In my GCSEs I achieved two 8’s, one 9, one A and five A*.
Following what I’ve said, does anyone have any advice or tips for applying to medicine please? Anything would be really appreciated (work experience, my subjects, applications or UKCAT etc etc)

Hi there,

It looks like you've been provided some great advice already from reading through your thread.

Work experience is important when applying for medical school and any care related volunteering would be highly beneficial.

You could also look at organisations who need volunteers such as the The Red Cross and The St John's Ambulance Service.

I would also suggest contacting your local NHS Trust as they may have some work experience or volunteering schemes available to young people.

If you would like to look into this further I would recommend having a chat with one of our advisers who are available every day from 8am until 10pm - https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Best of luck!

Sophie - National Careers Service
Original post by ax12
Which one are you planning on picking?

that's a good question ahaha I'm not sure as I really didn't expect an offer from Southampton, I felt my interview went terribly so I had assumed I would take Leicester but now I'm not sure!
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

It looks like you've been provided some great advice already from reading through your thread.

Work experience is important when applying for medical school and any care related volunteering would be highly beneficial.

You could also look at organisations who need volunteers such as the The Red Cross and The St John's Ambulance Service.

I would also suggest contacting your local NHS Trust as they may have some work experience or volunteering schemes available to young people.

If you would like to look into this further I would recommend having a chat with one of our advisers who are available every day from 8am until 10pm - https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Best of luck!

Sophie - National Careers Service

Thank you ever so much, I’ll definitely look into contacting the people you suggested above
I thought that some of my work experience was good but some of it was similar to you, didn’t really do much, and it’s not helpful for when writing your personal statement and going for interviews. I would say doing some work experience in care home or get a summer job in a retail shop or something. I remember some medical schools telling me that they’d rather prefer you showed skills than for you to have hospital work experience and do nothing. Hospital work experience is very good though so if you manage to organise some, definitely go for it but be proactive and talk to the patients.

Ok, I’m glad I’m not the only one who has had naff work experience. I’ll try a retail shop but I was hoping to go down to my local pharmacy to see if I could get work experience there
Ok, I’m glad I’m not the only one who has had naff work experience. I’ll try a retail shop but I was hoping to go down to my local pharmacy to see if I could get work experience there

Definitely yeah a pharmacy is good too but make sure you do stuff where you can lead or work in a team or something like that, and even in school take part in societies/clubs if you have them or be part of something where you can work in a team or lead. As you’ve realised the emphasis is on the skills!!
that's a good question ahaha I'm not sure as I really didn't expect an offer from Southampton, I felt my interview went terribly so I had assumed I would take Leicester but now I'm not sure!

Well done with you offers!! At least you’re in the position where you have an option. When applying, do you only apply for Medicine or do you have back up options. I’m not very clear on how the whole process works as my Schools Careers advisor has a been unable to come into school.
Well done with you offers!! At least you’re in the position where you have an option. When applying, do you only apply for Medicine or do you have back up options. I’m not very clear on how the whole process works as my Schools Careers advisor has a been unable to come into school.

You have 4 medicine choices and 1 back up course. You can do all 5 medicine but that’s risky.
Definitely yeah a pharmacy is good too but make sure you do stuff where you can lead or work in a team or something like that, and even in school take part in societies/clubs if you have them or be part of something where you can work in a team or lead. As you’ve realised the emphasis is on the skills!!

Woah ok, I didn’t realise it could be a simple as that. I’m going to help coach our schools junior netball. team. I’be also been a part of the England Netball Pathway for 7 years. Would that show my capability to work as a team?
You have 4 medicine choices and 1 back up course. You can do all 5 medicine but that’s risky.

That makes sense, thanks 👍🏽

you can only put down 4 clinical options so you can only put medicine as 4/5 of your choices (meaning you also cannot put dentistry or vet as your 5th choice). You don't have to put a 5th choice but a lot of people who do will put biomedical sciences (some universities will offer a transfer from this course onto the medicine course so it can be a good alternative route)
Woah ok, I didn’t realise it could be a simple as that. I’m going to help coach our schools junior netball. team. I’be also been a part of the England Netball Pathway for 7 years. Would that show my capability to work as a team?

Yeah definitely, that’s really good stuff you have there. Just make sure you remember the times where you showed the skills and what you did and when you had stressful situations and how you dealt with it. Have a note down so you don’t forget. They tend to ask in interviews these type of questions and it’s good to have solid examples.
Original post by Volibear
But the transfer pathway is incredibly competitive and you need to have very good first year grades to even stand a chance.

yes but if you don't get the grades at A Level it is worth knowing that you have another option earlier than graduate entry as obviously that is so competitive as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending