The Student Room Group

Further Maths

Is it possible to do the new A-Level Maths with the old AS/A-Level Further Maths?
Reply 1
I'm gunna finish off the old as maths then start the new a-level further maths next year, dont know about the other way around tho
Reply 2
Original post by aceplayyt
I'm gunna finish off the old as maths then start the new a-level further maths next year, dont know about the other way around tho

Oh right. I was just wondering. Do you know anyone else who could help?
Reply 3
Original post by ASTR0
Oh right. I was just wondering. Do you know anyone else who could help?

not really and why would you want to do the new a level maths havent you done the old one
Reply 4
not really and why would you want to do the new a level maths havent you done the old one

Ok thank you. Isn’t it vice versa as well then? You’re doing the old maths but the new fm?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Yh you should be able to since they are two different subjects
Reply 6
Original post by ASTR0
Is it possible to do the new A-Level Maths with the old AS/A-Level Further Maths?

How is further maths at alevells?
Reply 7
Yh you should be able to since they are two different subjects

Are you sure? I thought you couldn’t do that.
Reply 8
Reply 9
Can you clarify? You have to do A level maths with A level Further Maths; you can't just do FM, they're two different subjects. You'll have to do both as the new spec now, as there is some changes in the content.
Reply 10
Original post by bjt1882
Can you clarify? You have to do A level maths with A level Further Maths; you can't just do FM, they're two different subjects. You'll have to do both as the new spec now, as there is some changes in the content.

Oh ok. I meant the new Maths with the old fm but thanks.
Original post by ASTR0

No. You can't be awarded an A level in old specification further maths without completing the old specification maths A level. You can't do old spec AS FM unless you complete at least old spec AS Maths.

You can do new spec maths and new spec AS further maths this year.

You could, as aceplayyti plans, do old spec maths this year and new spec further maths next year. In the new spec the qualifications are independent of each other. AQA, Edexcel and OCR have all confirmed this is ok (though there will be some gaps in knowledge due to spec differences that might need to be addressed)
Reply 12
Original post by gdunne42
No. You can't be awarded an A level in old specification further maths without completing the old specification maths A level. You can't do old spec AS FM unless you complete at least old spec AS Maths.

You can do new spec maths and new spec AS further maths this year.

You could, as aceplayyti plans, do old spec maths this year and new spec further maths next year. In the new spec the qualifications are independent of each other. AQA, Edexcel and OCR have all confirmed this is ok (though there will be some gaps in knowledge due to spec differences that might need to be addressed)

Ok thank you. Can you take different exam boards for Maths and Further Maths?
Original post by ASTR0
Ok thank you. Can you take different exam boards for Maths and Further Maths?

Why would you want to?

You could do it with old spec but your exams office should confirm your unit choices are acceptable to your FM examiner and you won't be able to mix and match results to optimise your grades.

I haven't asked about new spec but since they are now entirely independent qualifications with no overlap of content I can't see there's any reason to prevent it.
Reply 14
Original post by gdunne42
Why would you want to?

You could do it with old spec but your exams office should confirm your unit choices are acceptable to your FM examiner and you won't be able to mix and match results to optimise your grades.

I haven't asked about new spec but since they are now entirely independent qualifications with no overlap of content I can't see there's any reason to prevent it.

Thanks. I was asking about the new spec.
I don't understand why you'd want to do any of what you are asking but yes, you could do different exam boards for new spec Maths and Further Maths.
Reply 16
Original post by Compost
I don't understand why you'd want to do any of what you are asking but yes, you could do different exam boards for new spec Maths and Further Maths.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest