The Student Room Group

Just Celebrating Europeans!

Because a few members felt left out when I made a "celebrate Africans" thread, I've decided to make this one.

Europe is a continent in the Northern hemisphere and has a total population of about 740 million people!

Increasingly, since the 20th century, there has been quite a shift as to what we know call European!

But this thread will focus on celebrating the culture, successes and history of the European people!

So, if you're European -

Celebrate your culture in this thread!

Scroll to see replies

This feels like a very sarcastic thread lol.
Here are some of the ethnic groups I'll discuss in this thread!

Balto-Slavic

Romance

Germanic

Iranic

Celtic

and Indo-Aryan

I love expressing my European identity! I am very proud to call myself European and am not afraid to let people know. (Eurovision is honestly one of my favourite events of the year). I know my family over time have come from Ireland (my nationality is Irish), England, Scotland and Spain but I really wish to find out more about this.
I like pain au chocolats.
1. The Romance Peoples

Whenever I hear the word Romance, I always think of love and relationships and I couldn't be more wrong.

Romance can also refer to the group of peoples spread around Southern Europe! (Also referred to as Latin peoples)

Romance languages are derived from Latin which was spoken by soldiers, settlers, and merchants of the Roman Empire. That being said, Romance languages have been around for a while!

Latin became the dominant native language in continental Western Europe.

Latin also exerted a strong influence in southeastern Britain.

You can people of Romance heritage in Italy, southern France, Spain and Romania (Yes, Romania!)

2. The Genetics of the Romance Peoples

The majority of Romance people share heritage with Northern Africans.

A recent study concluded that the most frequently occurring haplogroup found in Italians was the Semitic "J" Y-DnA which evolved from the expansion of the Middle East.

You may want to research about Assyria and the Ottoman Empire!

3. The significance of the Romance Peoples

Due to colonialism, there are over 800 million native Romance language speakers worldwide!

Furthermore, the Portuguese conquer of Africa in the 1800's led to a very racially ambiguous population in Angola as soldiers from Portugal often raped native-Angolan women. (Similarly you may want to look at the German influence on Namibia)

Latin people have also been responsible for scientific and medical discovery!

Furthermore, Latin people make their mark in the global fashion industry.

Items from Italian designers such as Cavalli, Moschino or Versace can be sold at upwards of $5000 a gown!

Notable people include: Donatella Versace and Corbin Bleu (of Latin descent)

Thanks for reading!

Here are pictures of the very diverse Latin peoples.
“A few members felt left out” who gives a flying ****. These people be doing it all the time so why should we care? Lol.

(1)
Everyone assumes Romania is Slavic because of its position in Europe.
I was guilty of it once until I realized the language is different to the Germanic or Slavic groups.
I then researched, found out more about them. They're very interesting and have an extensive culture! Sad that they're portrayed by the more commonly known Romani groups in England. e.g Gypsies.
Reply 8
I like how knowledgeable you seem to be OP. Look forward to catching up on the African and European thread later.

How do you get time write all this? Are you just copying pasting from somewhere?

I’m trying to improve my writing a story skills and I’d love to learn.
1. The Germanic Peoples

As you can tell from the name, these groups of people are most commonly found in Germany!

Germanic people are an Indo-European linguistic group and can be found in the modern countries of The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, Poland, Austria and Northern France.

Modern Germanic ethnic groups include the Afrikaners, Austrians, Danes, Dutch, English, Faroe Islanders, Flemish, Frisians, Germans, Icelanders, Lowland Scots, Luxembourgers, Norwegians, and Swedes.

Also, Germanic people used to be referred to as "Bell-beakers", Rossen (I believe) and Celts.

2. The Genetics of Germanic People

They are mainly represented by the Y-DNA haplogroup R1B which is also found in many sub-saharan Africans (in higher percentages).

Haplogroup R1B accounts for over 50% of Icelandic males, French males, Swedish males and over 90% of Central African males. (Congo, Cameroon, Chad and Central African Republic).

Modern Germanic peoples include the Afrikaners, Austrians, Danes, Dutch, English, Faroe Islanders, Flemish, Frisians, Germans, Icelanders, Lowland Scots, Luxembourgers, Norwegians, and Swedes.

The facial features of Germanic people tend to be commonly placed as followed;
1. Pale skin
2. Light colored eyes (a high occurrence, 75% of blue eyes in Germans)
3. Thin, straight noses
4. Darker colored hair
5. At a lighter occurrence, curly hair which is often followed with lighter colored hair. This feature is very distinctive for the Germanic peoples and sets them apart from other Europeans!

3. The significance of Germanic people

They are responsible for the introduction of Christianity to the modern world! Many Germanic people have gone on conquests around the world as missionaries.

They created racism. Some historians believe that racism came when the Germanic people started to determine their influence in Europe. The first accounts of racism happened against those from the Catacombs in Eastern Europe.

A Germanic person is also for the murder of 11 million innocent Jews, disabled and ethnic minorities who may have been their own but shared different religious beliefs.

This led to the creation of UNESCO, and also the UNDHR following the tragedies.

The Germanic people have asserted their superiority since and are responsible for the colonial efforts in Africa, the invasion of Australia and the destruction of the Permanent Indian frontier in recent times.

Nevertheless, we have to be thankful for the Germanic people!

Albert Einstein, a Jew has contributed so much to the scientific world today.
John Dalton led to the development of the Atom because he was very wrong in 1804 (GCSE revision ay).
James Chadwick proved the existence of Neutrons in 1932.

Thanks for reading!

Here are pictures of the very diverse group of Germanic people.
(Last picture is of a mixed-race Germanic and Sub-saharan African)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fruli
I like how knowledgeable you seem to be OP. Look forward to catching up on the African and European thread later.

How do you get time write all this? Are you just copying pasting from somewhere?

I’m trying to improve my writing a story skills and I’d love to learn.

I read, I watch a video and I write about them.

Also, I've finished my half-term revision (on Wednesday).
Original post by erratic_deus
Because a few members felt left out when I made a "celebrate Africans" thread, I've decided to make this one.

Europe is a continent in the Northern hemisphere and has a total population of about 740 million people!

Increasingly, since the 20th century, there has been quite a shift as to what we know call European!

But this thread will focus on celebrating the culture, successes and history of the European people!

So, if you're European -

Celebrate your culture in this thread!
thanks for the good intention

however, we "Europeans" (however we may be defined), don't need to celebrate our achievements : they are quite well known already

however, paradoxically, our greatest achievement is that we have, especially in the last 60 years or so, developed a very healthy, critical outlook on our own history, which includes also failures and "dark pages"

to be frank, this is - in my view - by far our greatest achievement, which many other cultures are still very far from approaching...

best
Original post by mariachi
thanks for the good intention

however, we "Europeans" (however we may be defined), don't need to celebrate our achievements : they are quite well known already

however, paradoxically, our greatest achievement is that we have, especially in the last 60 years or so, developed a very healthy, critical outlook on our own history, which includes also failures and "dark pages"

to be frank, this is - in my view - by far our greatest achievement, which many other cultures are still very far from approaching...

best

Thank you! A member of my "celebrate Africans" thread seems to not recognize that the whole source and summit of life is based on the 'greatness' of European people that we forget to see the beauty in other groups.
As a British person, I've become ignorant and I used to think that all Nigerians are Nigerian (well they are) but there are so many different groups which got sidelined and silenced during the 'scramble for Africa'. The very fact that every single country in Africa had their border made by a European too.
I don't know. I talk more about the diverse ethnic groups of Africans which are little known in my other thread. But yeah. Thanks!
Thank you! A member of my "celebrate Africans" thread seems to not recognize that the whole source and summit of life is based on the 'greatness' of European people that we forget to see the beauty in other groups.
As a British person, I've become ignorant and I used to think that all Nigerians are Nigerian (well they are) but there are so many different groups which got sidelined and silenced during the 'scramble for Africa'. The very fact that every single country in Africa had their border made by a European too.
I don't know. I talk more about the diverse ethnic groups of Africans which are little known in my other thread. But yeah. Thanks!
I think however that we should always have very clear that language, culture and ethnicity, although somehow related, are quite different things

so, while it is quite obvious that, linguistically, you can most surely identify Indo-European languages, it is next to impossible to speak of a European "race", or even simply a European culture

in reality, peoples have been traveling, migrating, fighting and mixing, influencing each other to such extents that the idea of "pure" races or cultures is vastly imaginary

best

Nobody needs to be told to celebrate Europeans. European achievement is all around us. If they had a problem with you celebrating Africans, that's their inadequacy showing.

Not really.

The concept of a European changed much more during the colonial era, and of course when the Russian Tsar got Russia included into the common understanding of Europe.

If you are referring to mass immigration, that is increasingly opposed in most of Europe. Besides, we already historically had large non-white populations in Europe - such as the muslims in Spain.

Balto-Slavic

Romance

Germanic

Iranic

Celtic

and Indo-Aryan

This sounds like a 4chan race theory thread, except with the twist that half the images of "Europeans" are half-black (which makes it a bit confusing about what you are trying to show with the images of people).

If you wanted to be thorough, I challenge you to write about the Roma people (gypsies), who are often excluded, but have been in Europe for millenia.

1. The Romance Peoples

How can you talk about the Romance Peoples without at least a cursory nod at the Roman Empire, the Renaisance, the Spanish Empire, or Catholocism?

A recent study concluded that the most frequently occurring haplogroup found in Italians was the Semitic "J" Y-DnA which evolved from the expansion of the Middle East.

Again, what you are doing is really odd.

And I don't know what your sources are, but in Italy, the most common y-haplogroup is R1b, the same as in most of Western Europe.

http://www.transpacificproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Y-Haplogroups-World-Map.jpg

This did indeed originate from the Middle East, because that is where the European peoples came to Europe from.

They are mainly represented by the Y-DNA haplogroup R1B which is also found in many sub-saharan Africans (in higher percentages).

Uhh... what are your sources?

Haplogroup R1B is far more common in Western Europe than Africa.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Haplogroup_R1b_%28Y-DNA%29.PNG

They are responsible for the introduction of Christianity to the modern world! Many Germanic people have gone on conquests around the world as missionaries.

They created racism. Some historians believe that racism came when the Germanic people started to determine their influence in Europe. The first accounts of racism happened against those from the Catacombs in Eastern Europe.

A Germanic person is also for the murder of 11 million innocent Jews, disabled and ethnic minorities who may have been their own but shared different religious beliefs.

The Germanic people have asserted their superiority since and are responsible for the colonial efforts in Africa, the invasion of Australia and the destruction of the Permanent Indian frontier in recent times.

This is just so weird.

The Germanic peoples did not spread Christianity to the world nearly as forcefully as the Romantics (the Spanish and Portuguese).

The Germanics did not "create racism". That is just so ridiculous that I'm not going to bother expanding on it.

And what about a cursory nod to exploration (Vikings, spaceflight, landing on the moon), science (I get that there are too many achievements to list, but you could pick a couple, such as fertilizers and quantum mechanics), tech (computers, the internet), if something as mundane as fashion is apparently noteworthy?

Original post by mariachi
I think however that we should always have very clear that language, culture and ethnicity, although somehow related, are quite different things

so, while it is quite obvious that, linguistically, you can most surely identify Indo-European languages, it is next to impossible to speak of a European "race", or even simply a European culture

in reality, peoples have been traveling, migrating, fighting and mixing, influencing each other to such extents that the idea of "pure" races or cultures is vastly imaginary

best

The idea of a "pure" colour does not exist, yet we find it very useful to speak of a red "colour" for example.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hurrah to Europe and all the countries in it, to amazing technological advancements, the biggest and most powerful empires ever and some of the richest cultures around the world with a interesting history that goes back a very long time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Europeans are great:biggrin:

Nobody needs to be told to celebrate Europeans. European achievement is all around us. If they had a problem with you celebrating Africans, that's their inadequacy showing.

Not really.

The concept of a European changed much more during the colonial era, and of course when the Russian Tsar got Russia included into the common understanding of Europe.

If you are referring to mass immigration, that is increasingly opposed in most of Europe. Besides, we already historically had large non-white populations in Europe - such as the muslims in Spain.

Balto-Slavic

Romance

Germanic

Iranic

Celtic

and Indo-Aryan

This sounds like a 4chan race theory thread, except with the twist that half the images of "Europeans" are half-black (which makes it a bit confusing about what you are trying to show with the images of people).

If you wanted to be thorough, I challenge you to write about the Roma people (gypsies), who are often excluded, but have been in Europe for millenia.

1. The Romance Peoples

How can you talk about the Romance Peoples without at least a cursory nod at the Roman Empire, the Renaisance, the Spanish Empire, or Catholocism?

Again, what you are doing is really odd.

And I don't know what your sources are, but in Italy, the most common y-haplogroup is R1b, the same as in most of Western Europe.

http://www.transpacificproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Y-Haplogroups-World-Map.jpg

This did indeed originate from the Middle East, because that is where the European peoples came to Europe from.

Uhh... what are your sources?

Haplogroup R1B is far more common in Western Europe than Africa.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Haplogroup_R1b_%28Y-DNA%29.PNG

This is just so weird.

The Germanic peoples did not spread Christianity to the world nearly as forcefully as the Romantics (the Spanish and Portuguese).

The Germanics did not "create racism". That is just so ridiculous that I'm not going to bother expanding on it.

And what about a cursory nod to exploration (Vikings, spaceflight, landing on the moon), science (I get that there are too many achievements to list, but you could pick a couple, such as fertilizers and quantum mechanics), tech (computers, the internet), if something as mundane as fashion is apparently noteworthy?
(edited 6 years ago)

This led to the creation of UNESCO, and also the UNDHR following the tragedies.

They created racism.
Blatantly false, aristotle called all non greeks slaves, plenty of cultures and nationalities have considered other races inferior before Germany was even a thing or it was more than a few tribes.

You say since is that since ww2? if not Germany is not responsible for colonial efforts in Africa, Portugal and Spain and to blame at first certainly not Germany. They did not invade Austrialia, that was Britain. The destruction of the Permanent frontier was not the Germans it was the Americans (you could argue that they are a large mix of Europeans)
Same with christianity, you could argue it was protestantism but certainly not christianity

I hope this is a bad joke
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance

You say since is that since ww2? if not Germany is not responsible for colonial efforts in Africa, Portugal and Spain and to blame at first certainly not Germany. They did not invade Austrialia, that was Britain. The destruction of the Permanent frontier was not the Germans it was the Americans (you could argue that they are a large mix of Europeans)

I hope this is a bad joke

She is actually talking about the Germanic people, which includes the English and most Americans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending