The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Medicine

Hi,

I've completed my GCSEs last year, I achieved 2 A*s, 1 A in Biology, chemistry and Physics. I achieved 9 in Maths, 6 in English Language, B in Business Studies, C in History. I am going to choose uni with low GCSEs weighting:

Bristol
Dundee
Exeter
Glasgow
Keele
Plymouth
Newcastle

Im currently studying A levels Biology, Chemistry and Law. Does anyone have any disagreements regarding the choices of universities that I'm going to apply for this year:

Thanks
What are your predicted A-Level grades?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
AAA
Just make sure you get the highest possible UKCAT result. It is objectively hard, begin studying right after you finish your AS exams.
Remember a medicine offer is a medicine offer no matter where you go, about 60% of med applicants don't get an offer at all, so play it safe and work hard.
Original post by tremen222
Just make sure you get the highest possible UKCAT result. It is objectively hard, begin studying right after you finish your AS exams.
Remember a medicine offer is a medicine offer no matter where you go, about 60% of med applicants don't get an offer at all, so play it safe and work hard.

Thanks, I guess the hard part is trying to find universities to play to my strengths....
For Exeter, they shortlist you on your predicted grades so it might be a good idea to move them up a bit. Also check the university requirements as some uni's need you to be predicted A*, A, A. When I was researching previously, I read that Liverpool look at A*s and A's with the same number of points. Also don't worry about GCSE's that much, lot's of uni's look at you holistically - Personal statement, UKCAT/BMAT, A level predicted grades etc.
Hope this is helpful! :smile:
Original post by luqman12673863
Hi,

I've completed my GCSEs last year, I achieved 2 A*s, 1 A in Biology, chemistry and Physics. I achieved 9 in Maths, 6 in English Language, B in Business Studies, C in History. I am going to choose uni with low GCSEs weighting:

Bristol
Dundee
Exeter
Glasgow
Keele
Plymouth
Newcastle

Im currently studying A levels Biology, Chemistry and Law. Does anyone have any disagreements regarding the choices of universities that I'm going to apply for this year:

Thanks

Remember you have the choice of 4 universities, for medicine. It is reccommended for medical applicants who prefer a university with a "low GCSE weighing", to choose Keele. Keele may not boast an extravagent reputation overall, however provide the best facilities for medicine. Moreover, at the end of the day you're going to become a medic, and the aptient will not ask you, during their operation, the university which you graduated from. The consequences will be the same. Having said this, it is important that you select a university which has a prefferential method of teaching. For example, I prefer the tutorial system, since I like to express my methodology and opinions regarding a topic, verbally to a tutor. I enjoy academic discussions regarding topics and news related articles; in addition to the collegiate system. Therefore my choices will be adapated and conformed to choosing Oxford, Durham, Imperial and Kings.

It is not about getting from A to B, it is about the journey you take.
The only thing I would say is unless you are going to be predicted 3A* s and a very high UKCAT, Exeter is a very risky choice. This is speaking from experience. Exeter's cut off point this year was 3A*s and a UKCAT of 2670.
Original post by Stardust987
The only thing I would say is unless you are going to be predicted 3A* s and a very high UKCAT, Exeter is a very risky choice. This is speaking from experience. Exeter's cut off point this year was 3A*s and a UKCAT of 2670.

I didn't realise Exeter had a cut-off. I don't think they do as they have reserve interviews happening in the last week of February, which are for those people that got the predicted grades but their UKCAT was a bit lower.
Still, students have to have 3A*s predicted.
Still, students have to have 3A*s predicted.

Yeah that's true. Of if you have achieved 2A*s , 1A and above, you will also be considered as well I think. Where did you apply?
Original post by AthenaSphinx
Yeah that's true. Of if you have achieved 2A*s , 1A and above, you will also be considered as well I think. Where did you apply?

Exeter- rejected pre-interview. I am predicted A*,A*,A, A and have a UKCAT of 2620.
Plymouth-Offer
St George's-Offer
Bristol- Still waiting
Exeter- rejected pre-interview. I am predicted A*,A*,A, A and have a UKCAT of 2620.
Plymouth-Offer
St George's-Offer
Bristol- Still waiting

Woah, that's amazing! Congratulations on the offers you got, you must be so happy! I'm sure you will get Bristol, it's probably a matter of time :smile:. Which university is your first choice?
Woah, that's amazing! Congratulations on the offers you got, you must be so happy! I'm sure you will get Bristol, it's probably a matter of time :smile:. Which university is your first choice?

Thank you! Plymouth is my first choice and Bristol is my second I think. What about you?
Thank you! Plymouth is my first choice and Bristol is my second I think. What about you?

I applied to Barts, UEA, UCL and Exeter. I love all the uni's I applied to, I am just hoping for one offer tbh
I applied to Barts, UEA, UCL and Exeter. I love all the uni's I applied to, I am just hoping for one offer tbh

Hopefully you will have an offer soon. :smile: The waiting is horrible.
Hopefully you will have an offer soon. :smile: The waiting is horrible.

Thank you, yeah I hope so. The waiting is terrible:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending