The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont think its all about the defending or knowing the context of the situation . Its one of her against 4-5 of you, so obviously if someone sees that, then they would want to get involved regardless if they dont know whats going on
Reply 81
Original post by yourgyalsmcm
Oh my ****ing days, why did people have to derail this thread....

So childish, it's actually interesting:s-smilie:

Indeed.

They initially were under false pretences of being ‘sarcastic’.

They have just revealed how it was more of a personal agenda, as they seem annoyed about something the OP did yesterday, so it’s almost as a way of getting back at her.

Very childish.
(edited 6 years ago)
The thing is, it hasnt been just this thread, some of the previous ones both of you have had arguements and issues going on. She started a thread on Africans, her choice but then someone commented about the thread not being about 'Whites' no need for that whatsoever. Her thread, her topic
Reply 83
Original post by cat_mac
Yep. I have screenshots from when she admitted to be disregarding my points only because i’m a white girl. I was on her side of the conversation and she came at me because i’m visibly white, and came for a black girl who agreed with me saying “why are you agreeing with the white girl and not with me” lmao. She throws insults and wrongful accusations then acts like she did nothing wrong.

If they didn’t see what went on then I get their beef, but they shouldn’t just jump into discussions with guns blazing like they know sh*t.

Fair enough but that has nothing to do with an otherwise very informative thread. Why would you WANT to click on her thread to only start a fight when there are much better things you could be doing? You might as well report her if you want, then keep it moving.
Original post by FloralLuxe
im sorry for @ing you but no one gives a flying **** that you’re a white girl.

Except OP, multiple times yesterday. Her entire point against me was that i’m white, she failed to dispute anything I actually said. No one gave a flying **** that she was a black girl either, until she repeatedly used it as a way of avoiding responsibility for how she was behaving. But I doubt you care since you jumped in firing insults like you knew sh*t! :facepalm:
nah we aint all african, bit of a silly thing to say. youre really going to say that a snow white norwegian with blonde hair and blue eyes is african lmao?? the fact we all have very, very distant ancestors from there doesnt make you african. even current african people probably have ancestors from europe and elsewhere.
Although I do not agree with the comments she made yesterday at all, at least give her a break. She just wanted to make a thread about something she felt passionate about.

However, my advice that I gave you on that thread still stands because this will be a frequent recurrence unfortunately. Good luck Miss erratic.

1. The somali people

First off, I'll address the confusion between Somalian and Somali.
Somali is a tribe in Somalia.
Over 95% of Somalians are Somali. This is how the term became interchangeable.
Somalians is anyone from Somalia, the remaining ethnogroups of Somalians can be Afar, Oromo or even Maasai.

Now for the Somali people.

Somalis are an ethnic group inhabiting the Horn of Africa.

The overwhelming majority of Somalis speak the Somali language, which is part of the Cushitic branch of the Afroasiatic family.

They are predominantly Sunni Muslim. A Somali diaspora community is also found in parts of the Middle East, North America, Oceania and Europe.

An Ancient Chinese document from the 9th century AD referred to the northern Somalia coast which was then part of a broader region in Northeast Africa known as Barbara (Eritrea today, Axum and New Kingdom then), in reference to the area's Berber (Hamitic) inhabitants

Ancient rock paintings, which date back 5000 years, have been found in the northern part of Somalia. These engravings depict early life in the territory.

According to most scholars, the ancient Land of Punt and its inhabitants formed part of the ethnogenesis (the formation) of the Somali people.

Also, The exact number of speakers of Somali is unknown, sources suggest upwards of 7 million and I guess this is what you get when you have such a diverse community within an ethnogroup!

Also: Unfortunately the majority of Somali people live in absolute poverty!

2. The genetics of the somali people

Somalis are ethnically of Hamitic ancestry (Caucasoid), but have genealogical traditions of descent from various Arabian patriarchs associated with the spread of Islam.
The five major clan families within the Somali tribe are the Darod, Dir, Hawiye, Isaaq and the Rahanweyn. Minor Somali clans include Benadiri.

On a lesser note, I believe I may have Isaaq somali ancestry. Of which I'm proud of!

The Somali people commonly have the haplogroup E3B1B which is also found in many Italians (specifically Sicilians) today!

According to mtDNA studies by Holden, a significant proportion of the maternal lineages of Somalis consists of the M1 haplogroup.

This mitochondrial group is very common among Ethiopians and North Africans, particularly Egyptians and Algerians.

Criticism of Somalis due to genetics:

Somali people have been criticised in the past and aren't viewed as black by African Americans due to their genetics and their features!
However we can all agree that despite the differences, Somalians are Africans and so are the Somalis!

Spoiler

3. The significance of the somali people

Somalis have a rich musical heritage centered on traditional Somali folklore. Most Somali songs are pentatonic.

Somalis have old visual art traditions, which include pottery, jewelry and wood carving.
Furthermore, In the medieval period, affluent urbanites commissioned local wood and marble carvers to work on their interiors and houses. Intricate patterns also adorn the mihrabs and pillars of ancient Somali mosques.

Football is the most popular sport amongst Somalis. Important competitions are the Somalia League and Somalia Cup. The Ocean Stars is Somalia's multi-ethnic national team.

Traditionally, Somali men typically wear the macawis. It is a sarong that is worn around the waist. On their heads, they often wrap a colorful turban or wear the koofiyad, which is an embroidered fez.

Somali cuisine varies from region to region and consists of a fusion of diverse culinary influences. It is the product of Somalia's rich tradition of trade and commerce. Despite the variety, there remains one thing that unites the various regional cuisines: all food is served halal. There are therefore no pork dishes, alcohol is not served, nothing that died on its own is eaten, and no blood is incorporated in their food!

Somali scholars have for centuries produced many notable examples of Islamic literature ranging from poetry to Hadiths!

Somali architecture is a rich and diverse tradition of engineering and designing. It involves multiple different construction types, such as stone cities, castles, citadels, fortresses, mosques, mausoleums, towers, tombs, tumuli, cairns, megaliths, menhirs, stelae, dolmens, stone circles, monuments, temples, enclosures, cisterns, aqueducts, and lighthouses. Any visit to Bosaso will surely tell the story!

Notable somalis include: Yasmin Warsame, Omar Ali and Mo Farah!

Thanks for reading!

Here are a few pictures of the very diverse group of Somalis. I have tried to find a picture of the different people per clan!
Original post by gampslaw123
nah we aint all african, bit of a silly thing to say. youre really going to say that a snow white norwegian with blonde hair and blue eyes that theyre african lmao?? the fact we all have very, very distant ancestors from there doesnt make you african. even current african people probably have ancestors from europe and elsewhere.

Please see this DNA test of a white girl and a white boy.

[video="youtube;47XTgjpYocw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47XTgjpYocw[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1r4Cvi1K4E
Original post by cat_mac
Except OP, multiple times yesterday. Her entire point against me was that i’m white, she failed to dispute anything I actually said. No one gave a flying **** that she was a black girl either, until she repeatedly used it as a way of avoiding responsibility for how she was behaving. But I doubt you care since you jumped in firing insults like you knew sh*t! :facepalm:

This is a different thread and here YOU are acting like you know it all. You could’ve done this anywhere else but you decide to do it here and to go on about how you basically feel victimised. Cry somewhere else.
Reply 90
*yawn*

You're obviously biased here :lol:
Reply 91
This is a different thread and here YOU are acting like you know it all. You could’ve done this anywhere else but you decide to do it here and to go on about how you basically feel victimised. Cry somewhere else.

Exactly.
This thread will make white people who have 0000000000000.1% Black african in them think they’re allowed to say the n word.
Reply 93
Original post by k.n.h.
You're obviously biased here :lol:

I do believe that separate matters and disputes should only be contained in their respective threads and grudges shouldn't be rigidly held to the point of unnecessary argument, otherwise it'll just create a ****storm
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by erratic_deus

First off, I'll address the confusion between Somalian and Somali.
Somali is a tribe in Somalia.
Over 95% of Somalians are Somali. This is how the term became interchangeable.
Somalians is anyone from Somalia, the remaining ethnogroups of Somalians can be Afar, Oromo or even Maasai.

Wow! I’d didn’t know this. So interesting. What can you tell me about Somalia vs Somaliland?
Original post by Fruli
Exactly.

:smile:
Same here, what else do you know?
Original post by lonyeka
Wow! I’d didn’t know this. So interesting. What can you tell me about Somalia vs Somaliland?

I guess you could compare it to people in London wanting to become a different country due to a difference in political agreements (e.g Brexit).
Original post by erratic_deus
I guess you could compare it to people in London wanting to become a different country due to a difference in political agreements (e.g Brexit).

Could that be possible in the forseeable future?
They why didnt you just report it if it was 'bullying'?

Latest

Trending

Trending