The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Best Sheffield uni accomodation??

I have an offer from Sheffield and think I will go there in September. At the last open day I only looked around the city accomodation (Allen Court) and really liked it but since then I have seen online and heard from someone who attends currently that I should go for Endcliffe or Ranmoor.

Is Endcliffe the best option? It does look great socially however it is a 30 minute walk from the uni according to google maps, however is the longer walk worth it?
Original post by rosiebowen37
I have an offer from Sheffield and think I will go there in September. At the last open day I only looked around the city accomodation (Allen Court) and really liked it but since then I have seen online and heard from someone who attends currently that I should go for Endcliffe or Ranmoor.

Is Endcliffe the best option? It does look great socially however it is a 30 minute walk from the uni according to google maps, however is the longer walk worth it?

Wait for actual students and take these with a pinch of salt, but theres some reviews here. If you arent sure then visit again or use google street map to get an idea of the journey. remember its hilly. Plenty of great areas you can move out to in second year.

Also look at student videos on youtube.

https://www.studentcrowd.com/best-halls-l1005841-s1008426-the_university_of_sheffield-sheffield
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Personally I would go for Endcliffe, it's sort of the hub for first year students and the large majority of house parties or pre-drinks will be in Endcliffe, or a 5-10 minute walk away in Ranmoor, and if you end up having to go to Allen court for one it's not really out the way, it's in an area you're probably still familiar with, and if you're going clubbing afterwards it's on your way. On the other hand if you stay in Allen Court you have to trek up to the many house parties in Endcliffe and you're probably then going to end up coming back into town.

As you will be in uni most days, going shopping in town is pretty accessible even if you live as far as Endcliffe or Ranmoor, worst case scenario you can take a bus for £1 each way.

Once you start walking around Sheffield a lot, you will be thankful for all the practice you've gotten from those 30 minute walks.

That said, Allen Court has the bonus of some extra sleep each day (unless you're a med student), and it's more convenient for if you spontaneously want to eat out or quickly need to get some supplies.
Reply 3

Honestly I wouldn't recommend Allen Court. I know some people who ended up there because they applied through clearing and while it was great that they were so close to uni, they were definitely out of the student bubble.
The ideal place to be is Endcliffe/Ranmoor. The majority of first years will be in one of the two so it makes things a lot easier for meeting up with friends and going to pre drinks and parties. Means you can meet up more spontaneously and last minute without trekking for 30 mins. It takes less than 5 mins to get from Ranmoor to Endcliffe as they're both on the same road. They're both approx 10 minute walk from Broomhill which is a lovely area with supermarkets, pubs, bars and shops so it's very convenient if you want to nip out. Ranmoor to the Student Union takes around 25 minutes, Endcliffe is around 20. Not going to lie, the walk can get quite boring when you do it every day so I used to get the bus quite a lot. It's pretty cheap, was £1 when I was there and they came every 5-10 mins.
The longer walk is definitely worth it to be in Endcliffe/Ranmoor. Obviously you'd meet people in Allen Court but the majority of people you meet on your course and on nights out will likely be from Endcliffe/Ranmoor so it's nice to be so close to everyone. I was in Ranmoor and preferred it to Endcliffe (I had mates in Endcliffe so I was there all the time) but I would still recommend putting Endcliffe as your first choice. If you get a place then that's great and you'll have a fantastic time but if not then you'll be put in a Ranmoor flat with other students who choice Endcliffe as their first choice. So you'll be with just as sociable people. The only difference is Ranmoor is smaller but I thought it was actually better that way because you got to know everyone a bit easier. The reason why I wouldn't recommend putting Ranmoor as your preference is because they'll assume you want a quiet flat and will put you with unsociable people. That happened to a couple of my mates.

I'm a postgrad student at Sheffield, living in Endcliffe. I also did my undergrad here and lived in Endcliffe for my first year. Personally I really enjoy it and it only takes me about 20 minutes to get to uni from halls so it's really not that bad. Plus it's a really nice area and the walk's a perfect excuse to get in a bit of exercise.

I've really enjoyed living in Endcliffe as I've found it super social and as a result, easy to make friends.
My mate lives in Allen Court and loves living there as it's super close to uni. Endcliffe is alright too and would suit you more if you're interested in the social scene.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending