The Student Room Group

I got my first car is it any good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack210
The policy will be on my mother's name and i will be the additional driver on the policy and the website that i got my quote on asked who will be the main driver out of me and my mum, i selected my name and the insurance came to 1800

That's a pretty decent quote for a first timer, hope you drive well with it
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I wouldn't have such a flashy car myself if I was your age, as the chances of crashing in the 1st year of driving is 1 in 5. But it certainly is a nice car.

Can I ask, why you didn't just go for a car every 17 year old goes for, such as a, cheaper to insure, Corsa or Fiesta?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what I'm planning as my first car :laugh:
Original post by Jack210
Oh i see, hopefully i won't crash, I'm going to very careful in the way i drive

OP, you will say that today, tommorow it will be a different story.

Please do be careful.

I do agree with the above posters that you should have gone with a corsa, fiesta or a renault especially for you for the first time.

All the best! 😀
Reply 23
Thank you!
Reply 24
ooo i would love to know what you're planning on getting :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by MiszshorTea786
OP, you will say that today, tommorow it will be a different story.

Please do be careful.

I do agree with the above posters that you should have gone with a corsa, fiesta or a renault especially for you for the first time.

All the best! 😀

Thank you, i will be careful :smile: and i understand that i should've gotten a corsa or fiesta however my mum bought it for me so i can't change that now
6000196771147.jpg
Bish please, get on my level. Then we'll talk.
Original post by Jack210
ooo i would love to know what you're planning on getting :smile:

Hopefully a Jaguar XF 2.2, my insurance is more than yours but I don't have anybody else on my policy
Reply 28
Wow that is a lovely car, i love jaguar's :smile: Hopefully you'll have fun with it :smile: The insurance must be really high on that! What quote have you got on it so far?
You really need a response to this? Someone has a small pe... actually I better not say that.

I had a BMW at the age of 17 too, but is there any need to show everyone how mummy and daddy practically bought you a car? Great achievement mate :wink:
Original post by Jack210
Wow that is a lovely car, i love jaguar's :smile: Hopefully you'll have fun with it :smile: The insurance must be really high on that! What quote have you got on it so far?

It's £2.5K, which is bleh but do-able...
2,5k? Sorry to interrupt I get why and all but having a black box not reduce it for you?
2,5k? Sorry to interrupt I get why and all but having a black box not reduce it for you?

That IS with a black box, without it is a bit more expensive (about £500 more) but I've heard so many bad things about black boxes I don't know if I'd get it
Reply 33
Original post by Jack210
Basically i ran the qoute as follows:

Policy holder will be my mum who drives another car and has 3 years no claim discount.

I will be additional driver ~ i said that i hold a full license for under a month even though i have not passed yet (i did this to see how much it'll cost once i have passed)

I will also be the main driver

Original post by Jack210
Basically i ran the qoute as follows:

Policy holder will be my mum who drives another car and has 3 years no claim discount.

I will be additional driver ~ i said that i hold a full license for under a month even though i have not passed yet (i did this to see how much it'll cost once i have passed)

I will also be the main driver

This sounds a bit dodgy - are you sure you've ran the quote correctly? Why is the policy not in your name if you're the main driver and you own the car?
Original post by Jack210
The policy will be on my mother's name and i will be the additional driver on the policy and the website that i got my quote on asked who will be the main driver out of me and my mum, i selected my name and the insurance came to 1800

You can't be the main driver whilst someone else is the policy holder. What you're doing is illegal and will invalidate the insurance, thus being a one way ticket to cancelled insurance, 6 points, losing your license and that's assuming you don't crash the car. My first car is 140bhp and I did some pretty dumb things with it in my 2nd/3rd week because I underestimated the power in 2nd gear (we're talking nearly overshooting into metal barriers whilst turning), the fact the car is still in one piece is because I survived that initial month or two of madness, but I've had enough near misses. I wouldn't wish that kind of fear on anyone. However my car is a 1l, that is a 1.6 turbo, your insurance is going to be ridiculous once you start telling the truth. I'm not going to imply you can't drive it, most people in my area learn in one of those cars due to bill plant, but you won't have an instructor to save you from your mistakes. Also really silly to buy a car before you pass and know what the (real) insurance is. You say you'll drive sensibly, that's a really difficult promise to make in your first month when you discover power (it's also why they aren't recommended first cars, because if you drive something you can happily graze and scrape, there ain't any power to enjoy)

But hey as a plus, at least she didn't buy you a Corsa.

I have a feeling this is bait anyway. I'm 24, that car would cost me £3600 to insure w/o a box (2900 with one) (without my on record accident). And we're talking a dog tier policy for that kind of money.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's the car itself then.

Blackbox can be annoying but I guess if you want it cheap you have to tolerate it.

I've had it for 2 years now. It's getting uninstalled next month. 😁 Like everything you have the pros and cons.

You will be restricted a bit in terms of speed and turns and what have you, but you get used to it after a while.
Original post by Jack210
I'm going to keep the car for 3-4 years and i'll have a black box only for the first year

Changing cars every few years makes the dealers [and the tax man] rich. If you like what you've got, learn how to take care of it, and do so. You will soon become an expert on that make/model. The clowns at a dealership work on all kinds of rolling stock day in and day out. They NEVER get a chance to become familiar with anything. Since you work on only one specific car, you'll know more about it than anyone at a dealership possibly could. Shop manuals are cheap (compared to mechanic's fees). Buy several (by different publishers). If one doesn't cover it, another might. Find an owner's group on the internet. Sometimes they can really help you out - particularly when you are getting started. I've got a 1964 MGB, and my daily driver is a 1982 Diesel Jetta. I wasn't much of a diesel mechanic when i bought it, but i am now. Keep em rolling.. Cheers.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's the car itself then.

Blackbox can be annoying but I guess if you want it cheap you have to tolerate it.

I've had it for 2 years now. It's getting uninstalled next month. 😁 Like everything you have the pros and cons.

You will be restricted a bit in terms of speed and turns and what have you, but you get used to it after a while.

If It makes me a safer driver that's less likely to have an accident I'll guess I'll have to secede to the power of the black box for a year of two...
Till you hit someone whilst glancing at your speedo to make sure you're not 1mph over the limit. I know you're probably thinking "yeah but you should follow the speed limit verbatim anyway"

This is also true but the thing is, a gatso will show you mercy, your box won't.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by nevershear
You can't be the main driver whilst someone else is the policy holder. What you're doing is illegal and will invalidate the insurance, thus being a one way ticket to cancelled insurance, 6 points, losing your license and that's assuming you don't crash the car. My first car is 140bhp and I did some pretty dumb things with it in my 2nd/3rd week because I underestimated the power in 2nd gear (we're talking nearly overshooting into metal barriers whilst turning), the fact the car is still in one piece is because I survived that initial month or two of madness, but I've had enough near misses. I wouldn't wish that kind of fear on anyone. However my car is a 1l, that is a 1.6 turbo, your insurance is going to be ridiculous once you start telling the truth. I'm not going to imply you can't drive it, most people in my area learn in one of those cars due to bill plant, but you won't have an instructor to save you from your mistakes. Also really silly to buy a car before you pass and know what the (real) insurance is. You say you'll drive sensibly, that's a really difficult promise to make in your first month when you discover power (it's also why they aren't recommended first cars, because if you drive something you can happily graze and scrape, there ain't any power to enjoy)

But hey as a plus, at least she didn't buy you a Corsa.

I have a feeling this is bait anyway. I'm 24, that car would cost me £3600 to insure w/o a box (2900 with one) (without my on record accident). And we're talking a dog tier policy for that kind of money.

Oh my bad i never knew that you can't do that, i checked the quote with my mum being the main driver and the quote i got was £2163 and then i just checked it with me as the main driver and the quote dropped to £1800 so i thought that this was possible. And everyone's insurance's are different if me and you drove the exact same car but lived in completely different areas then 100% our quotes wouldn't be similar.

Quick Reply

Latest