The Student Room Group

Corbyn Briefed Communist Spies in Cold War

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Whether it's true or not, Corbyn would be about as useful as Prime Minister as a bucket of pigshit....and I would guess there are lots more skeletons in his cupboard!
Reply 41
Original post by Rinsed
I agree with the second paragraph, this was a man with no access to secrets because no one would have ever trusted him with anything sensitive. Everyone knew his character, he would have divulged to the Russkies as soon as anyone asked, and this is one of the reasons he remains utterly unsuited to power.

But putting his uselessness to one side, he certainly showed a willingness to abet a totalitarian regime.

The fact you have to start speculating and making things up shows how weak your position is.

If you have any evidence Corbyn divulge state secrets to someone he knew was a spy, lets have it.
So 32 years ago an agent, working for the Czech government, cunningly chose as his disguise to be an official diplomatic representative of the Czech government. Wanting a quiet and remote meeting place, with no security presence, they chose the House of Commons. Corbyn, who was a back-bench opposition MP at the time, was then plied with tea, revealing top secret information such as his negative view of the USA and a dislike of Conservative politics.

And that's it!?

Of more interest is the knowledge that during this period Corbyn actively opposed apartheid in South Africa, while Tory Prime Minister Thatcher called the ANC terrorists, and wanted a whites only South Africa. If you want to judge a man by his past that would be a more reliable place to start.
And for those that are brushing off the story as fake news because it's in the sun, express, and mail let's take a security expert in the observer:

http://observer.com/2018/02/new-report-reveals-jeremy-corbyn-was-a-communist-spy-in-1980s/
Reply 44
Original post by Rinsed
I genuinely feel like you didn't read what I wrote. I explicitly said he didn't have secrets to give...

So the title of this thread should be "Corbyn spoke to to a guy from Czechoslovakia 30 odd years ago".

I did that too, a friend mine's dad was an immigrant from Czechoslovakia and I went to his house once and spoke to his dad.
Reply 45
Original post by Jammy Duel
And for those that are brushing off the story as fake news because it's in the sun, express, and mail let's take a security expert in the observer:

http://observer.com/2018/02/new-report-reveals-jeremy-corbyn-was-a-communist-spy-in-1980s/

I think there is a lot of conjecture, Corbyn sounds off about the Tory government to a sympathetic ear 3 times about stuff that was common knowledge.

No doubt the KGB was trying to get influential people on their side and support their aims but was there any evidence Corbyn did anything like that?

So Corbyn told a diplomat in the House of Commons that he didn't like the USA or the tory government?

He must be a communist spy then...

No-one here is using the term 'fake news' - apart from you of course. Old news maybe, or no news, or maybe even one of the increasingly desperate attempts to throw mud and hope that something sticks. The 'Observer' you quote is nothing to do with the respected British Sunday newspaper; the article you link to is an 'opinion' piece from a right-wing American conspiracy site.
Original post by DeBruyne18
So Corbyn told a diplomat in the House of Commons that he didn't like the USA or the tory government?

He must be a communist spy then...

Well done on not reading the article or the original documents. It was well known at the time that talking to a "diplomat" meant talking to a spy and the documents claim Corbyn to have said he is familiar with counterintelligence procedures, in other words he told somebody he knew was probably a spy that he could help beat MI5
Original post by Rinsed
The point of this thread is not that Corbyn was a threat to national security thirty years ago. It's that, given what we know if his character, he would be should he ever get his grubby paws on the levers of power.

This episode speaks to the character of a man who has never met a violently totalitarian state he didn't prefer to the west.

That's pure conjecture.

All that has been established is that Corbyn spoke to a diplomat in the House of Commons and that he didn't like the Tories.

There is absolutely zero evidence for your argument that he was knowingly briefing spies, as your sensationalist thread title suggested.

Which brings me back to the point that you don't really care about this at all. And the great thing about democracy is that if the people decide, he will become PM whether or not you think he is fit to.
Well done on not reading the article or the original documents. It was well known at the time that talking to a "diplomat" meant talking to a spy and the documents claim Corbyn to have said he is familiar with counterintelligence procedures, in other words he told somebody he knew was probably a spy that he could help beat MI5

As another poster said, this spy was so cunning that he pretended to be a diplomat from that country? And Corbyn was so determined to give him secrets that he met him in the House of Commons?

The article you posted is not the UK observer, its a right wing paper that doesn't like Corbyn and as usual goes for the 'Corbyn is to blame for everything' approach
Reply 52
Original post by Rinsed
That is an incredibly selective reading of the story.

You surely must admit that a potential future prime minister setting up meetings with an intelligence agent from a communist regime, and then cropping up in their secret files, is at least newsworthy.

But I doubt you will, because Saint Jeremy can do no wrong and anything which suggests he may not be the incarnation of all that is good in the world must, ipso facto, be a nasty smear.

Tell you what, if you don't want people to question your allegiances, you probably shouldn't spend your entire career supporting your country's enemies.

Grasping at straws aren't you.
Original post by Rinsed
Look, he knowingly consorted with a 'diplomat' (who was later expelled from the country for being a spy) from a totalitarian regime. You're right that there is a degree of conjecture, but it's hardly unfounded conjecture. If you're a politician who behaves in this way you positively invite this sort of story. It's newsworthy.

Will this hurt Corbyn? Probably a little, but if his documented support for the IRA/USSR/Hamas/Maduro/Iran/Cuba et cetera hasn't already brought him down then I doubt this will.

And recourse to 'hurr durr the people will decide' is a cop out. Currently he's behind arguably the most woeful PM in living memory in the polls. Maybe his extremely questionable moral character is one reason why.

He spoke to a diplomat 30 years ago. The head of Czech Security forces today denied what you have claimed - https://www.politico.eu/article/jeremy-corbyn-never-knowingly-met-communist-spy-says-czech-agency/
It's a complete non story and its no surprise to see the Sun, Mail and Express so keen to try and push it. Much like they all dedicated about 15 pages before the election to pretty much call Corbyn a terrorist.

Let's be honest here for a moment. You don't really care about this do you? You don't really believe it either. You're trying to make this nothing event into a huge deal for political purposes.

As for the polls, sure but demographics are not on your party's side. A huge amount of your support is concentrated amongst the elderly while Labour are increasing support among the young and middle aged at quite a rate.

People really are tired of these rather ridiculous lies and smears that the media is trying to push about him. You're right though, were it not for the media acting like this then he would indeed be further ahead in the polls. Remember the fury about when didn't bow enough?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Rinsed
So... you don't think it's newsworthy? Or you don't think he's supported some questionable causes? Or you just don't care?

Its newsworthy for right wing nuts who'll snatch at anything to try to discredit Corbyn.

For normal people, its a non story.
Original post by Rinsed
It hardly refutes the story, all that article says is that Corbyn thought he was a diplomat. Even so, I find the idea that Corbyn was meeting with this guy with absolutely zero thought as to this person's job and allegiance to a totalitarian state somewhat far fetched.

On the other hand, the 'diplomat' he met has now come forward and alleged that Corbyn was a paid informant!

https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/labour-deny-that-jeremy-corbyn-was-a-paid-informant-during-the-cold-war/

So there are legs in the story yet.

There is absolutely no proof.

Again, all that has been established is that Corbyn met a diplomat in the House of Commons. He was allowed to meet a diplomat.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Rinsed
It hardly refutes the story, all that article says is that Corbyn thought he was a diplomat. Even so, I find the idea that Corbyn was meeting with this guy with absolutely zero thought as to this person's job and allegiance to a totalitarian state somewhat far fetched.

On the other hand, the 'diplomat' he met has now come forward and alleged that Corbyn was a paid informant!

https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/labour-deny-that-jeremy-corbyn-was-a-paid-informant-during-the-cold-war/

So there are legs in the story yet.

Need a bit more than the word of one alleged former spook, but it would be tough on Corbyn if it was proved he was a paid informer.
Original post by Rinsed
Thing is, it fits rather well with everything else we know about his past endeavours. I don't see anything to disbelieve, really.

The spy himself may just be looking for attention, but even the parts of the story which have been confirmed, people have lost their careers for less.

People have lost their careers for meeting diplomats in the House of Commons and expressing their disapproval for Tory and Republican policies?

I think you're starting to realise this is a nothing story.
Reply 58
This comes across as little more than a rank attempt at character assassination for what is by all accounts a non-event.
Reply 59
Original post by Rinsed
Not by all accounts, mainly by the accounts of hypocritical Corbyn fans.

I'm not a Corbyn fan so please explain that one?
But speaking of 'hypocritical' how about the government ministers who engage in chin wags with Saudi terrorists? Or the Pakistanis? You know the countries that have actively tried to harm the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending