The Student Room Group

I got my first car is it any good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack210
Oh my bad i never knew that you can't do that, i checked the quote with my mum being the main driver and the quote i got was £2163 and then i just checked it with me as the main driver and the quote dropped to £1800 so i thought that this was possible. And everyone's insurance's are different if me and you drove the exact same car but lived in completely different areas then 100% our quotes wouldn't be similar.

Yes, but the point I'm trying to make is that is a higher insurance grouped car, thus that is the difference in insurance (I pay £2100 on my fiesta). We'll never have the same quote price, my areas expensive in general, but for both of us it's highly likely our insurance quotes would go up if we start punching in more powerful cars.

What you can do, is be the policyholder with your mother as a named driver, that makes more sense. If this really is a thing where you can have a main driver and a policyholder be two different people, weird as that sounds to me, check to make sure it still qualifies you for NCB.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by nevershear
Yes, but the point I'm trying to make is that is a higher insurance grouped car, thus that is the difference in insurance (I pay £2100 on my fiesta). We'll never have the same quote price, my areas expensive in general, but for both of us it's highly likely our insurance quotes would go up if we start punching in more powerful cars.

What you can do, is be the policyholder with your mother as a named driver, that makes more sense. If this really is a thing where you can have a main driver and a policyholder be two different people, weird as that sounds to me, check to make sure it still qualifies you for NCB.

I've seen it before, but it's rare. Good point about the NCB, too.
Till you hit someone whilst glancing at your speedo to make sure you're not 1mph over the limit. I know you're probably thinking "yeah but you should follow the speed limit verbatim anyway"

This is also true but the thing is, a gatso will show you mercy, your box won't.

You make an excellent point, maybe just the ordinary non box insurance might actually be safer
Reply 43

Oh i see, thanks for your help! And what is a NCB?
Looks nice
Meh, at least it's not a Fiat 500.

Original post by Jack210
Oh my bad i never knew that you can't do that, i checked the quote with my mum being the main driver and the quote i got was £2163 and then i just checked it with me as the main driver and the quote dropped to £1800 so i thought that this was possible. And everyone's insurance's are different if me and you drove the exact same car but lived in completely different areas then 100% our quotes wouldn't be similar.

As nevershear says, do not take out the policy in someone else's name, if you are indeed the main driver; as if you get found out, the consequences, financially, are very severe.
Original post by Jack210
Oh i see, thanks for your help! And what is a NCB?

Stands for No Claims Bonus. You accumulate them every year you don't claim.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Meh, at least it's not a Fiat 500.

:laugh:

They're everywhere aren't they?
Honestly wish I could ban them vile trash cans on the road. I advise anyone with that car, to get out of the Cars and motoring forum. :P
I mean whilst I did some silly things in my first month getting used to my new power and freedom, over the months despite being fairly set on being a box driver before I passed, I came to the realization I don't actually need a box - the cost and emotional distress potential of totalling a 67 plate car is more than enough incentive to drive properly.
I invested in a dashcam a couple of years back. I usually have it turn itself on automatically. If someone hits me, i want to be able to show who was on the right side of the street. Cheers.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Honestly wish I could ban them vile trash cans on the road. I advise anyone with that car, to get out of the Cars and motoring forum. :P

*exits swiftly* 😣

Are they really that bad? 🤔
Reply 52
17 years old + BMW = pulled over by police on regular basis. Have your licence and insurance details to hand.
Reply 53
Original post by Jack210
I'm 17 have recently got a 2016 BMW 116D M Sport for my first car, is it any good for a first car?

If you're the main policy holder and you bought it yourself at 17. Then no, it's expensive on repairs and maintenance and probably took a chunk out of your savings. Something more economical would be a better fit. Especially given the lack of driving experience.

If you're a named driver and occasionally driving it then yeah? Kinda? I've owned a 120d before and personally thought it was awful so got rid of it after 2 months.

Either way, I'm going to vent again about BMW diluting the prestige of their brand by offering these awful, rattly tiny engines for people who want to buy it for the badge. What a shame.
(edited 6 years ago)
damn how much that cost?
I mean whilst I did some silly things in my first month getting used to my new power and freedom, over the months despite being fairly set on being a box driver before I passed, I came to the realization I don't actually need a box - the cost and emotional distress potential of totalling a 67 plate car is more than enough incentive to drive properly.

What you said basically, it's going to be a car bought out of my own money, so I'd be an extra careful driver in it
Original post by Jack210

Stupid choice for a first car and from what I've read so far, you seem to have no clue what you're doing regarding getting proper insurance. How could the quote possibly be cheaper for you than it is for your mum, especially considering you said she has 3 years NCB?
Original post by Rabbit2
I invested in a dashcam a couple of years back. I usually have it turn itself on automatically. If someone hits me, i want to be able to show who was on the right side of the street. Cheers.

I need to figure out how to get mine to stop running once the car is switched off, I didn't care up until I realized that's why my auto stop start was no longer working.
Original post by nutz99
17 years old + BMW = pulled over by police on regular basis. Have your licence and insurance details to hand.

Incorrect, I’ve been driving around for almost a year in a Range Rover and I’ve never been asked for my license or insurance details. Plus police barely paid any attention to a black guy cruising around in a black RR besides one time a couple bobbies were walking and they asked is that your car” and I simply replied “Yes”

I regularly drive across London, Herts and I’ve driven to Wales, so it’s definitely not a case where I don’t see police frequently. They really have no reason to stop you due to ANPR.
Original post by AtheClassicMan
Incorrect, I’ve been driving around for almost a year in a Range Rover and I’ve never been asked for my license or insurance details. Plus police barely paid any attention to a black guy cruising around in a black RR besides one time a couple bobbies were walking and they asked is that your car” and I simply replied “Yes”

I regularly drive across London, Herts and I’ve driven to Wales, so it’s definitely not a case where I don’t see police frequently. They really have no reason to stop you due to ANPR.

What's the relevant correlation between being black and driving a range rover lol. If I see anyone who looks too young to be in an expensive car my immediate thought is (assuming) if they can afford to have access to that car, the chances are they can afford the insurance on it. Ethnics don't really come into it.

Half the time kids get pulled over driving in flashy cars is because they're driving like an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest