The Student Room Group

Who else is applying to do a Publishing Postgrad?

Hello!

I'm applying to do a Masters in Publishing next year. Would be great to chat to others who are either applying for or are in the middle of their publishing postgrad. It's terrifying but exciting! I'm planning to apply to both Edinburgh Napier and Stirling.

Where are folks applying? What are you highlighting on your personal statement?

Best,

Kat
Original post by ohdontpanic42
Hello!

I'm applying to do a Masters in Publishing next year. Would be great to chat to others who are either applying for or are in the middle of their publishing postgrad. It's terrifying but exciting! I'm planning to apply to both Edinburgh Napier and Stirling.

Where are folks applying? What are you highlighting on your personal statement?

Best,

Kat

You may want to check out this forum as well though there may be more undergrads. You want to talk about why this course, what your skills and experiences are and how they led you to this course, what your academic interests are and how you hope to develop them, why you, why this uni and dept and what your career plans are.
Original post by alleycat393
You may want to check out this forum as well though there may be more undergrads. You want to talk about why this course, what your skills and experiences are and how they led you to this course, what your academic interests are and how you hope to develop them, why you, why this uni and dept and what your career plans are.

Thanks I'll check out the forum!
Reply 3
Hey! I already applied to the master and got accepted for next year! I'm thinking of applying to Brookes and Kingston as well.
In my personal statement I talked about my passion for publishing, what I would add to the program and some relevant professional I've had. Don't overthink it, just say why you want to study Publishing at UofS and it should be fine!
I am! I have got an offer from Stirling and am currently applying to UCL and Edinburgh Napier! As I don't have much industry experience, i've tried to highlight how some of my studies in my undergrad relate to publishing. Don't really know where my favourite is so far!
Reply 5
Original post by yannmh
Hey! I already applied to the master and got accepted for next year! I'm thinking of applying to Brookes and Kingston as well.
In my personal statement I talked about my passion for publishing, what I would add to the program and some relevant professional I've had. Don't overthink it, just say why you want to study Publishing at UofS and it should be fine!

Hi! I’m applying too and I’m terrified bc my Bachelor’s degree was in a different field. Plus does anyone know how competitive this course is? I’m just really nervous because I want this to work so badly—I just wish how much experience we’re expected to have before going into it. If anyone has words of wisdom, including OP please please share 🙏🏽🙏🏽
Reply 6
Hi! I’m applying too and I’m terrified bc my Bachelor’s degree was in a different field. Plus does anyone know how competitive this course is? I’m just really nervous because I want this to work so badly—I just wish how much experience we’re expected to have before going into it. If anyone has words of wisdom, including OP please please share 🙏🏽🙏🏽
Original post by GrammarGirl
I am! I have got an offer from Stirling and am currently applying to UCL and Edinburgh Napier! As I don't have much industry experience, i've tried to highlight how some of my studies in my undergrad relate to publishing. Don't really know where my favourite is so far!

Ah exciting! I have offers from Stirling and Ed Napier - how are you deciding between your choices?
Ah exciting! I have offers from Stirling and Ed Napier - how are you deciding between your choices?

I honestly have no idea at this point! I got an offer from UCL last week and I am so torn between there and Stirling - so many pro and cons of both! The price of london is just so off putting but the course looks the best suited for me. I'm currently studying in Scotland so Stirling ticks that box for sure as i'd like to stay up here if possible! I might go to the Stirling post-grad open day in March. How are you doing it? Have you got a favourite? (:
I honestly have no idea at this point! I got an offer from UCL last week and I am so torn between there and Stirling - so many pro and cons of both! The price of london is just so off putting but the course looks the best suited for me. I'm currently studying in Scotland so Stirling ticks that box for sure as i'd like to stay up here if possible! I might go to the Stirling post-grad open day in March. How are you doing it? Have you got a favourite? (:

Congrats! I'm from London and have heard great things about the courses there, but I'm actually trying to establish myself in the Scottish scene (I did my undergrad in Scotland, worked in the London publishing scene and am ready to return North!)

I'm living abroad so I won't be able to make the open days which is frustrating so I'm talking to lots of alumni and researching online as much as possible. I go back and forth between my choices every other day haha! What resources are you using to make your decision? I feel like finding forums or first hand experiences of the courses is a bit tricky.
(edited 6 years ago)
Congrats! I'm from London and have heard great things about the courses there, but I'm actually trying to establish myself in the Scottish scene (I did my undergrad in Scotland, worked in the London publishing scene and am ready to return North!)

I'm living abroad so I won't be able to make the open days which is frustrating so I'm talking to lots of alumni and researching online as much as possible. I go back and forth between my choices every other day haha! What resources are you using to make your decision? I feel like finding forums or first hand experiences of the courses is a bit tricky.

Thank you! (: I completely agree with you, the Scotland scene is definitely where I want to be as well! Where was your undergrad? I'm loving being in Scotland for mine too (: Honestly have no idea about finding information, youre probably right on the money! I've just tried finding some alumni too and reading what people say about each, but am also struggling finding these too really! I'm hoping the open day in Stirling will shed some light because as of now, i'm at a loss haha!
Thank you! (: I completely agree with you, the Scotland scene is definitely where I want to be as well! Where was your undergrad? I'm loving being in Scotland for mine too (: Honestly have no idea about finding information, youre probably right on the money! I've just tried finding some alumni too and reading what people say about each, but am also struggling finding these too really! I'm hoping the open day in Stirling will shed some light because as of now, i'm at a loss haha!

My undergrad was at The University of Glasgow so I visited Edinburgh a fair bit and Stirling a few times too. I was expecting to come across more forums or blogs about the experience but resources aren't as easy to find as I'd hoped. I know that either way publishing is a small world and I'm excited to meet lots of like-minded folk. You probably already know about it but I would highly recommend joining the SYP wherever you decide to go. I did a few events with the London branch and it was a great way to stay in the know and meet future collaborators. :smile:
My undergrad was at The University of Glasgow so I visited Edinburgh a fair bit and Stirling a few times too. I was expecting to come across more forums or blogs about the experience but resources aren't as easy to find as I'd hoped. I know that either way publishing is a small world and I'm excited to meet lots of like-minded folk. You probably already know about it but I would highly recommend joining the SYP wherever you decide to go. I did a few events with the London branch and it was a great way to stay in the know and meet future collaborators. :smile:

Ah that's awesome! UoG has some stunning buildings, I love it! I go to St Andrews so not too far from Edinburgh or Stirling either! (: I'm hoping at the open day they'll be current students I can chat to, so I can always rely the information to you if you'd like? Yes, i'm a member - really informative outlet for sure, they're having their conference at the beginning of March and i'm so tempted to go along to it!
Ah that's awesome! UoG has some stunning buildings, I love it! I go to St Andrews so not too far from Edinburgh or Stirling either! (: I'm hoping at the open day they'll be current students I can chat to, so I can always rely the information to you if you'd like? Yes, i'm a member - really informative outlet for sure, they're having their conference at the beginning of March and i'm so tempted to go along to it!

Wow that would be super helpful, thank you! I saw that Nicola Sturgeon is a keynotes speaker - sounds like a fabulous opportunity! Let me know how it is if you end up going. 😊
Hey guys! Hi! International student here with a question that is making me quite anxious.

Applied to MA Publishing, and during the mandatory interview, received an offer for the upcoming September 2018 intake. I was instructed by the department to wait for the official offer letter to be provided by the UCL Admissions.

However: I had indicated in my application that I had taken postgraduate MA units at a local university. As you know, the application requires that you submit TOR + Certificates of weighted averages. (i also have work experience in the respective industry that I want to study)

A week or so after my interview, I get an email from UCL Admissions asking when I would finish that prior MA. So answering honestly, I reply saying that since I had discovered MA in Publishing, and though I had finished all course work for the previous MA, I wasn't going to finish the previous course.

Six weeks after I completed my application (including interview) I make an enquiry regarding my application (It hadn't progressed past 'being assessed' on portico) and received a reply from UCL Admission: "you are being reassessed due to the information that you will not finish your [first] MA. This will take one or two more weeks."

Has this happened to anyone before? D: huhuh

((i'm obviously super scared, so if you have any idea about what i should reasonably expect, let me know :frown: ))
Hi everyone :smile: I might be a bit early with this cause I'm still an undergrad, but I really want to apply for a masters in publishing, possibly with some kind of focus on book publishing. I'm an international student from Italy currently studying at Cardiff University. I would love to stay in the U.K. for my masters as well, but my parents are pushing for me to go back to Italy. Publishing postgrad courses in Italy are very competitive and it's a lot more difficult to get in than in the U.K., but I'm not sure about the quality of the teaching and career opportunities. As for U.K. universities, I'm torn between Stirling, Edinburgh Napier and Uni of Edinburgh (which is not publishing but book history so similar field anyway). I would love UCL but it's quite expensive and also I'm afraid the London scene might be a bit too competitive job-wise. If you've ever been to an open day or have any knowledge of the unis I've listed, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the quality of the teaching. Do you think the fact that Stirling and Napier are not Russel Group might make a difference to the quality of the course? I personally don't believe in the myth of RG unis, but my parents do so I think I need some kind of reassurance. It's quite a big decision for me because with brexit and all if I choose to go back to Italy it might be a bit trickier to go back to the U.K. afterwards. I could use all the help and advice you can offer! Thanks in advance
Reply 16
Original post by sbrizio1
Hi everyone :smile: I might be a bit early with this cause I'm still an undergrad, but I really want to apply for a masters in publishing, possibly with some kind of focus on book publishing. I'm an international student from Italy currently studying at Cardiff University. I would love to stay in the U.K. for my masters as well, but my parents are pushing for me to go back to Italy. Publishing postgrad courses in Italy are very competitive and it's a lot more difficult to get in than in the U.K., but I'm not sure about the quality of the teaching and career opportunities. As for U.K. universities, I'm torn between Stirling, Edinburgh Napier and Uni of Edinburgh (which is not publishing but book history so similar field anyway). I would love UCL but it's quite expensive and also I'm afraid the London scene might be a bit too competitive job-wise. If you've ever been to an open day or have any knowledge of the unis I've listed, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the quality of the teaching. Do you think the fact that Stirling and Napier are not Russel Group might make a difference to the quality of the course? I personally don't believe in the myth of RG unis, but my parents do so I think I need some kind of reassurance. It's quite a big decision for me because with brexit and all if I choose to go back to Italy it might be a bit trickier to go back to the U.K. afterwards. I could use all the help and advice you can offer! Thanks in advance

Hey!

Well, it really depends on where you'd like to study, and what you'd like to focus on. Be sure to check the class programs in detail and the choice of optional modules as well, they are a big part of your degree. You can also google the lecturers and professors to see if you're interested by their research.
I have applied to Stirling, Napier and Oxford Brookes.
I have been to Stirling and it is a nice city. It is very small and quiet. They have a breathtaking campus outside of the city and the facilities are nice even though they could refresh the buildings.
I did not visit Napier, but was not really convinced by their poor choices in optional modules.
As for Brookes I loved it. First, of all Oxford is an amazing city, small but with a lot of things going on. Second, the uni is amazing, 2 km outside the centre. The facilities are great the campus is modern and beautiful. I met 3 people studying publishing there and they told me they were very happy with their choice.

As you may have guessed I am going to Brookes in September, and I could then tell you about the course in detail. What I encourage you to do is to try and find current as well as previous students of the unis and ask them if they like/liked the course and what doors opened for them once they finished it!
Original post by yannmh
Hey!

Well, it really depends on where you'd like to study, and what you'd like to focus on. Be sure to check the class programs in detail and the choice of optional modules as well, they are a big part of your degree. You can also google the lecturers and professors to see if you're interested by their research.
I have applied to Stirling, Napier and Oxford Brookes.
I have been to Stirling and it is a nice city. It is very small and quiet. They have a breathtaking campus outside of the city and the facilities are nice even though they could refresh the buildings.
I did not visit Napier, but was not really convinced by their poor choices in optional modules.
As for Brookes I loved it. First, of all Oxford is an amazing city, small but with a lot of things going on. Second, the uni is amazing, 2 km outside the centre. The facilities are great the campus is modern and beautiful. I met 3 people studying publishing there and they told me they were very happy with their choice.

As you may have guessed I am going to Brookes in September, and I could then tell you about the course in detail. What I encourage you to do is to try and find current as well as previous students of the unis and ask them if they like/liked the course and what doors opened for them once they finished it!

Thank you so much! I've heard of Brookes but never actually looked into it because I know I'd be frowned upon by my parents since "it's not Oxford uni" :rolleyes:. I actually happen to be taking a trip to Oxford next month for family reasons. I might as well kill two birds with a stone and have a look around the uni area!
Reply 18
Original post by sbrizio1
Thank you so much! I've heard of Brookes but never actually looked into it because I know I'd be frowned upon by my parents since "it's not Oxford uni" :rolleyes:. I actually happen to be taking a trip to Oxford next month for family reasons. I might as well kill two birds with a stone and have a look around the uni area!

Yes you should definitely do that. And to reassure your parents, Brookes does not have the same focus as Oxford, it was a polytechnic school until 26 years ago.
Check out their website, you can book a free campus tour to get a better idea of the uni!
Good luck with everything.
Reply 19
Original post by athena88

As most entry requirements state, you can enter an MA in Publishing with any background, as long as you got good grades. Also if you don't have much experience it is not really a problem either, just explain what you like so much about publishing and talk about what you would like to do! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending