The Student Room Group

Citroen C1

What are people’s opinions as a first car for this one?

Very recently passed my test first time (manual) so this will be my first car. My age is mid 20s.

I was told that my insurance will likely be cheaper when it comes to my age (not being classed as young and inexperienced...just inexperienced).

I’ve got a bit of money but don’t want to blow it all on a car (with rent etc) so looking at a car valued at around £8000.

Does anyone have any opinions on the C1 from experience? Is it reliable etc? Or does anyone have any alternative suggestions, it’s not something I want to rush into.

Thanks in advance!
It's French.

I don't really need to say much more.

E: Alternatives? Well is that the size you want to stick to (the Seat MII and VW Up are good choices from that segment), or will any cheap to run hatchback do? Also grats on passing your test.
Original post by nevershear
It's French.

I don't really need to say much more.

E: Alternatives? Well is that the size you want to stick to (the Seat MII and VW Up are good choices from that segment), or will any cheap to run hatchback do? Also grats on passing your test.

Wait, are French manufacturers a bad thing? I know next to nothing about cars haha.

I looked online for reviews on Citroen cars and it seemed to score pretty high except on performance/power where it gets around 4/10...but I’m not looking to speed away from others really.

Size doesn’t really play a big part for me (got no kids etc so don’t need family size as of yet). Probably just want something with modern interior and looks nice. Was also looking at options from the Peugeot range.

Thanks for the comment!
Reply 3
Original post by accountant-future
Wait, are French manufacturers a bad thing? I know next to nothing about cars haha.

Well that depends.. how often do you use the electrics on your car?
Reply 4

Very recently passed my test first time (manual) so this will be my first car. My age is mid 20s.

I was told that my insurance will likely be cheaper when it comes to my age (not being classed as young and inexperienced...just inexperienced).

I’ve got a bit of money but don’t want to blow it all on a car (with rent etc) so looking at a car valued at around £8000.

Does anyone have any opinions on the C1 from experience? Is it reliable etc? Or does anyone have any alternative suggestions, it’s not something I want to rush into.

Thanks in advance!

Au contraire, the Citroen C1 is actually a joint venture with Toyota. More specifically the car is built in the same factory as the Toyota Aygo. Toyota are responsible for the engineering which gives it far more credibility, and it scores very high on the reliability index.

The Citreon C1 is a fine first car if you just want a little run about, but it lacks performance for long journeys - limited to only 1.0 and 1.2L engines. However this makes it very good on insurance and amazingly cheap to run. I like it, but I wouldn't want to spend £8K on one. I think it makes a better used buy than new/near new.
Original post by Menrva
Au contraire, the Citroen C1 is actually a joint venture with Toyota. More specifically the car is built in the same factory as the Toyota Aygo. Toyota are responsible for the engineering which gives it far more credibility, and it scores very high on the reliability index.

The Citreon C1 is a fine first car if you just want a little run about, but it lacks performance for long journeys - limited to only 1.0 and 1.2L engines. However this makes it very good on insurance and amazingly cheap to run. I like it, but I wouldn't want to spend £8K on one. I think it makes a better used buy than new/near new.

This confirms only that they have tainted Toyota and that they can also no longer be trusted.

Thanks in advance!

My sister has recently had one and she loves hers. They are in a low insurance group as well. They arent my cup of tea, but everyone cant like everything.
Nissan micras are good as well. They are worth looking into.
Original post by Emma:-)
My sister has recently had one and she loves hers. They are in a low insurance group as well. They arent my cup of tea, but everyone cant like everything.
Nissan micras are good as well. They are worth looking into.

The new Micra is stunning.

But if anyone asks, I never wrote that.
Original post by nevershear
The new Micra is stunning.

But if anyone asks, I never wrote that.

They are stunning though. Its nothing to be ashamed of.
I had one as a curtesy car a month ago for the day while mine was in under warranty (mine is one of the later ones of the old shape, it will be 2 years old in may). I have to say it was really good to drive and i really didnt want to give it back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending