The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Which degree and why?

Should i study Business Management or Business Management and Economics at Sheffield?
Do you want to study economics?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by rickyrossman
Do you want to study economics?

i liked economics a level but im not that good at maths and thats what worries me the most. Also i dont know which degree will help me the most
Original post by student01245
i liked economics a level but im not that good at maths and thats what worries me the most. Also i dont know which degree will help me the most

Getting better at your weaknesses, e.g. maths, will help you the most
Original post by Exceptional
Getting better at your weaknesses, e.g. maths, will help you the most

So u think studying business management and economics is better?
So u think studying business management and economics is better?

I think part of university is about challenging yourself, yes. Maths is quite useful, especially for the typical careers people pursue after these kind of degrees. Becoming more comfortable with it at uni is good prep.

I study an Economics degree at the moment and didn't have an A level in Maths (but enjoyed A level Econ). At first it was challenging, but I learned to embrace the challenge and now I enjoy it enough to take optional modules in the Maths department.

Also, my A level Econ teacher discouraged me to study it without doing A level Maths, which made it more daunting. But don't be put off, especially if you enjoy the subject.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think part of university is about challenging yourself, yes. Maths is quite useful, especially for the typical careers people pursue after these kind of degrees. Becoming more comfortable with it at uni is good prep.

I study an Economics degree at the moment and didn't have an A level in Maths (but enjoyed A level Econ). At first it was challenging, but I learned to embrace the challenge and now I enjoy it enough to take optional modules in the Maths department.

Okay thanks very useful. Are u studying at Sheffield?
Okay thanks very useful. Are u studying at Sheffield?

No, I study at Nottingham (although Sheffield was one of my choices). These courses tend to be relatively homogeneous in terms of the material/maths though.
No, I study at Nottingham (although Sheffield was one of my choices). These courses tend to be relatively homogeneous in terms of the material/maths though.

Out of Sheffield, Newcastle, Lancaster, Leicester and York which one do u think is better? And which one the worse?
Reply 9

I didn’t know you were studying maths at Notts. I assumed you were an A-Level student lol.
Out of Sheffield, Newcastle, Lancaster, Leicester and York which one do u think is better? And which one the worse?

I don't think the distinction between any of them in terms of reputation is significant enough to impact your prospects. So, I'd pick based on other factors like the city, campus, extra curricular things (e.g. study abroad, things like the York Award, etc.)

If it were me, I'd probably narrow it down to Lancaster, York and Sheffield, but that's just down to my preferences which might be different for you. :smile:
Original post by Black Water
I didn’t know you were studying maths at Notts. I assumed you were an A-Level student lol.

Nah, finished A levels in 2015. I don't study a degree in Maths, but I take optional modules in the Maths department (you can take optional modules outside your home department each semester). But economics is a quantitative discipline mostly.
I don't think the distinction between any of them in terms of reputation is significant enough to impact your prospects. So, I'd pick based on other factors like the city, campus, extra curricular things (e.g. study abroad, things like the York Award, etc.)

If it were me, I'd probably narrow it down to Lancaster, York and Sheffield, but that's just down to my preferences which might be different for you. :smile:

Reply 13
Nah, finished A levels in 2015. I don't study a degree in Maths, but I take optional modules in the Maths department (you can take optional modules outside your home department each semester). But economics is a quantitative discipline mostly.

Oh right. You finished A-Levels a while ago. Oh, I thought you were studying for a degree in Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending