The Student Room Group

Corbyn Briefed Communist Spies in Cold War

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Rinsed
I think I could argue that the Communist countries did not have the UK's best interests at heart...

As much as this is classic whataboutery, I would agree with you that governments of both stripes have been far too emollient to some pretty nasty regimes. But Corbyn isn't going to change that, is he? He's just going to be chummy with different types of nasty regimes.

Did I say they did...? Nope.
So what if it is? It speaks directly to your argument of his 'hypocrisy'.
Original post by Rinsed
People have lost their careers for meeting communist spies they did not realise were spies, certainly. Some very famous cases in fact.

But the disconnect between the story and what you're responding to is increasingly vast. It's obvious to anyone with an ounce of impartiality this is much more than just some backbencher mouthing off about the government to a diplomat.

It isn't obvious when there's no proof of anything more. It's just certain media outlets speculating.

I also fund it funny that you seem to be implying that you're impartial.
(edited 6 years ago)
I am surprised the Sun ran the story this week. I would have thought they would have saved it up for just before the next general election.
Original post by Rinsed
I simply cannot see you applying this logic to similar, non-Corbyn cases.

For instance, "Trump and his acolytes may have met Russian diplomats during the election, but we have no absolute proof they conspired to do anything. Anything you say looks suspicious is just conjecture. This is a complete non-story and everyone should just move on."

I'm not saying the cases are identical, but it is categorically not the non-story you are desperate to suggest it is just because we currently fall short of a smoking gun.

Actually I do think the Trump Russia things are way overblown. I think the Democrats should focus on winning the next election rather than rerunning the last one.

The current story is a non story and it's quite clear that people are trying to find something to be outraged about.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DeBruyne18
As another poster said, this spy was so cunning that he pretended to be a diplomat from that country? And Corbyn was so determined to give him secrets that he met him in the House of Commons?

The article you posted is not the UK observer, its a right wing paper that doesn't like Corbyn and as usual goes for the 'Corbyn is to blame for everything' approach

You do realise that at the time of was common knowledge that Warsaw pact "diplomats" were actually spies? We also now how the "diplomat" coming out and claiming that Corbyn knew he was a spy, although I'm sure you're going to say the source is the telegraph and so the information is a fabrication

Jeremy Corbyn knew I was a spy and was a Cold War source, says Czech 'diplomat'*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/16/jeremy-corbyn-knew-spy-cold-war-source-says-czech-diplomat/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AqNYhS14PWty
I find it ironic that the media outlets cheerleading this story are the ones that tell their readers to vote for the current Conservative government. That is the very same Conservative government that has no qualms about being very cozy with the authoritarian, Islamic terrorism-funding Saudi Arabian regime.

Original post by Jammy Duel
You do realise that at the time of was common knowledge that Warsaw pact "diplomats" were actually spies? We also now how the "diplomat" coming out and claiming that Corbyn knew he was a spy, although I'm sure you're going to say the source is the telegraph and so the information is a fabrication

Jeremy Corbyn knew I was a spy and was a Cold War source, says Czech 'diplomat'*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/16/jeremy-corbyn-knew-spy-cold-war-source-says-czech-diplomat/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AqNYhS14PWty

There are some really good accounts of the intelligence game that was played out in Europe during the Cold War. You should read them. Then you will realise how ridiculous an article stating Corbyn was "rated number one in Moscow" because he once handed a guy some newspaper cuttings sounds.

I'm no fan of Corbyn, but this really is clutching at extremely small straws.

Apparently the Czech spy has claimed that he organised Live Aid?

Also Ben Bradley, the Tory MP, removed one of his tweets accusing Corbyn of selling secrets to a spy after Labour threatened legal action. It seems that like many, he didn't really believe what he was saying.
Apparently the Czech spy has claimed that he organised Live Aid?

Also Ben Bradley, the Tory MP, removed one of his tweets accusing Corbyn of selling secrets to a spy after Labour threatened legal action. It seems that like many, he didn't really believe what he was saying.

Hmm, this one seems to be a slow burner which could easily go either way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43127527

Another article based on what Corbyn set today.

On another note am I the only one who found what Corbyn said a tad worrying?
Original post by Andrew97
Hmm, this one seems to be a slow burner which could easily go either way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43127527

Another article based on what Corbyn set today.

On another note am I the only one who found what Corbyn said a tad worrying?

If the press is making up lies you are entitled to bite back. He has a point. The right wing media are terrified of a Corbyn government.
If the press is making up lies you are entitled to bite back. He has a point. The right wing media are terrified of a Corbyn government.

I would dispute the point making up lies, I haven’t seen evidence that he didn’t meet this Czech chap. The sun have got hold of a story and haven’t made one up as so to say.

It was the line “change is coming”which sounded slightly sinister. Although I do accept that he would naturally fight back if lies were being spread about him.
I would dispute the point making up lies, I haven’t seen evidence that he didn’t meet this Czech chap. The sun have got hold of a story and haven’t made one up as so to say.

It was the line “change is coming”which sounded slightly sinister. Although I do accept that he would naturally fight back if lies were being spread about him.

He's not denying he met him. He's denying the ridiculous allegations being made about those meetings.
Original post by Rinsed
even the confirmed parts of the story ought to be a scandal.

Here's another part of the story confirmed by the Czech Spy (Google translate of his own words)

What information did Corbyn give you?
- I'll tell you this. I knew what Thatcher would have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and what she would wear for the next day.

Yes, Corbyn, a backbench Labour MP, was able to reveal Margaret Thatcher's lunch menu and fashion choices.

And there's more

Did you also talk about security issues?
- Yes, it was based on the peace movement, and they were receiving reports from the Defense Ministry.

That's right. The Ministry of Defence was briefing CND, at a time when the peace movement tried to close down the nuclear base at Greenham Common.

Not only that, but:

- Through the unions and peace movements, questions were addressed to Nelson Mandel. It is because he and his team have been involved in the preparation of supporting events. We finally made a concert in Wembley. It was funded by Czechoslovakia.
Do you mean Live Aid?
- I did that.
Yes, this spy confirms that Live Aid was funded by the Czech secret police. No wonder it made so much money.

Now can you see why the serious media have barely touched this story? And why your desperation to take it seriously is so entertaining?

Original post by Rinsed

This all said, it is the job of the free press to ask inconvenient questions of mainstream politicians. If he was having friendly lunches..., at the same time their governments were brutally suppressing incipient democratic movements, then the press should absolutely ask why.

Saudi Arabia.... USA.... General Pinochet.... Idi Amin.... Bahrain... All leaders or states that 'were brutally suppressing incipient democratic movements' and some still are. All leaders or states that were either supported by Thatcher or are currently supported by our own current government.
Original post by Rinsed

His thinly-veiled threats towards said free-press are both outrageous and unsurprising, in that context.

Our 'free press' is mostly controlled by right-wing tax exiles. Tell me the name of a national newspaper that is free to print the news without interference from its owner.
Original post by Rinsed
Some Tories have gone a little too apeshit and allowed him to cast the whole epidsode as a smear, when even the confirmed parts of the story ought to be a scandal.

This all said, it is the job of the free press to ask inconvenient questions of mainstream politicians. If he was having friendly lunches with communist spies, at the same time their governments were brutally suppressing incipient democratic movements, then the press should absolutely ask why. His thinly-veiled threats towards said free-press are both outrageous and unsurprising, in that context.

The problem is that the press go far beyond that. The press are meant to carry out investigations and ask questions, of course. However as usual with Corbyn it was a case of the press already deciding Corbyn was guilty and having very little regard for the truth. Hence the ridiculous, sensationalist headlines calling Corbyn a spy who sold our secrets.

Figures in the Tory party giddily joined in without any solid evidence of the accusations they were making and the fact that Ben Bradley deleted his tweet after Corbyn's lawyers threatened legal action is rather telling.

Corbyn in that time period supported a motion in Parliament supporting the striking workers of Czechoslovskia, condemning the actions of the Soviet government. Hardly seems like someone in love with the regime.

I'm glad to see a Labour leader bite back against the press for their lies rather than cow to them.
(edited 6 years ago)

Andrew Neil usually does a good job of holding all to account.
Andrew Neil usually does a good job of holding all to account.

He does. Absolutely had Baker on the ropes there.
German officials have now confirmed that there are no Stasi files on Corbyn.

As I said, this whole thing was a bunch of lies and speculation. An opportunistic attempt to try and brand Corbyn as a traitor based off of next to no evidence.

Yes the press are meant to investigate and ask questions but they're not meant to print outright lies for their own political purposes, such as claiming Corbyn sold secrets to Communist spies.

Andrew Neil did a wonderful job today of putting the Tories on the ropes for opportunistically jumping on the story with no regard for its truth.

A nothing story.
(edited 6 years ago)
And now it transpires that the day the spy claimed to have met Corbyn, that Corbyn was in Chesterfield at a conference and there is video footage from ITV.

This story is falling apart by the seams.

I wonder when the Tories, including those on here ate going to apologise...
(edited 6 years ago)
And now it transpires that the day the spy claimed to have met Corbyn, that Corbyn was in Chesterfield at an ITV event!!

This story is falling apart by the seams.

I wonder when the Tories, including those on here ate going to apologise...

I heard it was the day after his mother died? I must be getting confused with dates. Also a note, I haven't seen Corbyns “rant” be played on any of the major news networks. I only heard it on Nigel Farages show on LBC. Peston said it was because he refused to give interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending