The Student Room Group

Just Celebrating Africans!

We are all Africans and every single person should also respect Africa, the most diverse continent in the world!

Home to every single race on the planet!

Africa has 3000 distinct ethnic groups, 2000 languages.
Home to the most genetically diverse people on Earth.
So diverse that two Africans are more genetically different from each other than a Chinese and a European are from each other!

If you make up one of the over 3000 groups -

Celebrate your culture in this thread!

I don't know everything about Africa, but I do have an extensive knowledge of its peoples and the sub-groups within it.

I'll also try to inform people of the beautiful diverse groups within Africa and their history as much as I can.

Furthermore, I'd really like the posts on here to be positive. As the current media stance on Africa is very negative and always has been!

In this thread, I'll try to post about the different ethnic group in Africa, their genetics and their significance!

If you want to get your culture or if you're particularly interested in one culture I haven't talked about - Please do recommend them in the comments!

And please don't make fun of any the tribal clothing, language, culture or religions of any of the groups I mention here!

Even if you might not agree with their way of life, it is very important to respect them as fellow human beings who are rarely represented in the media in a positive light.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

1. The Hadharem peoples

Also known as Hadhrami, the Hadharem peoples are a little known Semitic branch of people found mainly in Eastern Africa + Yemen!

Hadharem people generally speak Hebrew, Tigrinya or even Amharic!

Notable Hadharem people include Mari Alkatiri and the notorious Bin Laden family. Although this shouldn't stain your perception of the Hadharem people!

2. The genetics of the Hadharem peoples

Hadharem people have an ever-growing presence in Israel, South Yemen and the coast of the Horn of Africa.
The linguistics of the Hadharem peoples also changes depending on region.
One thing that sets apart Hadharems from other Africans is their distinct facial structure!

Hadharem people have a strong east african (cushitic) influence despite the fact that the majority of them are based in Yemen.

Groups of Hadharem appear all over East Africa! With some being in Uganda, Kenya, Somalia and outside East Africa, some Hadharem people blend in with Indonesians and Saudi Arabians!

3. The significance of the Hadharem peoples

Hadharem people have suffered from persecution in the past, specifically those that identify as Jews.
The vast majority of Hadharem now live in Israel and many others who make up part of the diaspora community live all over Africa!
Many Hadharem people who have converted to Islam are scholars in the community and are quite significant members of the largest religion in the world!

Thanks for reading!

Here is a picture of a Hadharem boy in East Africa!
1. The Maasai peoples

A well known Nilotic group found in Kenya is the ever-present Maasai group!

Maasai people have been studied frequently by scientists and are known to be one of the most 'interesting' tribes in Africa (I beg to differ lol)

The Maasai people have traditionally stood against slavery and lived alongside most wild animals with an aversion to eating game and birds.

They also speak a Nilo-Saharan language and many can speak in Swahili or Luganda (dependent on Region)

Maasai society is strongly patriarchal in nature, with elder men, sometimes joined by retired elders, deciding most major matters for each Maasai group.

2. The genetics of the Maasai peoples

Many Maasai people have the observed haplogroup E1B1B!

Maasai people are distinguished by their tallness, their dark rich skin and their facial structure. Which differs from other bantu groups in Africa.

They account for only about 0.7 percent of Kenya's population, with a similar number living in Tanzania.

The Samburu is the closest to the Maasai in both language and cultural authenticity.

3. The significance of the Maasai peoples

Due to an increase in Maasai population, the Maasai were forced to develop new ways of sustaining themselves.
Many Maasai people began to cultivate maize and other crops to get by, a practice that was culturally viewed negatively
Many Maasai have moved away from the nomadic life to positions in commerce and government.

Notable figures include : Edward Lowassa who was prime minister of Tanzania!

Thanks for reading!

Here is a picture of a Maasai male in his beautiful tribal clothing!
1. The yoruba people

The yoruba constitute over 40 million people in total and make up 21% of Nigeria's population.

They are also part of the Bantu group.

The Yoruba tribe shares borders (within Nigeria) with the Bariba, Nube, Ebira and Edo groups in Nigeria.

Significant Yoruba populations can be found in other West African countries such as Ghana.

The Yoruba are traditionally a very religious people, and are today pluralistic in their religious convictions!

Yoruba drums are also used quite often in pop culture! Notable artists include: WizKid

2. The genetics of the Yoruba peoples

Yoruba people or descendants can be found all over the world especially in the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States, Cuba, Brazil, Latin America, and the Caribbean.

Yoruba people have historically been spread around the globe by the combined forces of the Atlantic slave trade and voluntary self migration.

The Yoruba present the highest dizygotic twinning rate in the world (4.4% of all maternities) which is about 50 to 1000 births!

Historically, Yoruba tribes have been around (recorded) since the European definition of Middle ages! (7th Century).

3. The significance of the Yoruba peoples

The Yoruba take immense pride in their attire, for which they are well known. Clothing materials traditionally come from processed cotton by traditional weavers.

The Yoruba are also famous for their magnificent terra cotta works throughout the 12th and 14th century; artists also earnests their capacity in making artwork out of bronze.

Notable figures include: David Oyelowo (Selma), Babatunde Olatunji (Drummer) and Ibeyi (a mixed-race duo artist)

Thanks for reading! Here is a picture of a beautiful Terra-Cotta sculpture.
1. The Tuareg peoples

The Tuareg peoples are a large Berber ethnic group found primarily in North Africa!

They speak Afro-Asiatic languages such as Tamash and are native to Southern Algeria, Mali and Burkina Faso!

Tuareg society has traditionally featured clan membership and the Tuaregs have been called the "blue people" for the indigo-dye colored clothes they traditionally wear and which stains their skin.

The majority are semi-nomadic Muslim people and they are believed to be descendants of the Berber natives of North Africa! How interesting (if you're into anthropology)

2. The genetics of the Tuareg peoples

E1b1b is the most common paternal haplogroup among the Tuareg. Which, if you read my previous post you'd notice that most Maasai members also possess this haplogroup!

According to mtDNA analysis, the Tuareg peoples in Libya predominantly carry the H1 haplogroup (61%).
This is the highest global frequency found so far of the maternal strongly supporting the Y-dna Adam theory!

So what does this mean? They share the same haplogroups as pretty much every Western European yet they are found in Africa! Awesome!

3. The significance of the Tuareg peoples

You know, ever since I found out about Tuaregs I've been so fascinated with them and their culture. Any trip to Morocco or Algeria will surely showcase the significance of this Berber sub-group!
They've contributed significantly to the Astronomical community and they are also well known for their nomadic architecture. They may have invented tents!

Notable figures include Brigi Rafini, prime minister of Niger!

Thank you for reading!

Here is a picture of a person of Tuareg origin!
Original post by k.n.h.
A duplicate thread? I'm confused, why? :confused:

Negative comments on the other one, I think
1. The Igbo People

The Igbo are an ethnic group native to the present-day south-central and southeastern Nigeria.

In rural Nigeria, Igbo people work mostly as craftsmen, farmers and traders. 70% of Nigeria's industry is based on the manufacturing of goods (Gcse Geography) and Igbo people are often favored by their geographical position in Nigeria to cultivate and manufacture crops.
Furthermore, the Niger Delta is found in the Igbo region and is supported by Shell. A trans-national corporation.

Before British colonial rule in the 20th century, many Nigerians including Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo identified as Muslims. They became overwhelmingly Christian under colonization.

In the wake of decolonization, the Igbo developed a strong sense of ethnic identity.

During the Nigerian Civil War of 1967–1970 the Igbo territories seceded as the short-lived Republic of Biafra.

In modern day context, there is somewhat of a social-stigma that Igbo people perceive themselves as "proud" and they've asserted themselves in society as business magnates in the NEE of Nigeria.

2. The genetics of Igbo people

The Igbo in Nigeria are found in Anambra, Benue, Delta and Rivers State.

The Igbo language is predominant throughout these areas, although Nigerian English (the national language) is spoken as well.

Prominent towns and cities in Igboland include Aba, Enugu (considered the 'Igbo capital')

A significant number of Igbo people have migrated to other parts of Nigeria, such as the cities of Lagos, Abuja, and Kano.

There is no genetic evidence to suggest that Igbo people are different to any other Nigerians. They're just separated groups. E.g You could compare it to Conservatives and Labourers in the UK!

3. The significance of Igbo people

After the Nigerian-Biafran War, many Igbo people emigrated out of the indigenous Igbo homeland in southeastern Nigeria due to an absence of federal presence, lack of jobs and poor health-care services!

A large amount of the African population of China are Igbo-speaking and are mainly businessmen trading between factories in China and southeastern Nigeria, particularly Enugu.

Igbo culture includes the various customs, practices and traditions of the people.

The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano was published in London, England, written by a former slave of Igbo heritage. I really recommend you read this book, as I have been touched by it and it is rightfully controversial for highlighting the atrocities commited against blacks in 1700s England!

Another book I've read from an Igbo author is "Why I'm no longer talking to white people about race" written by Reni Eddo-Lodge.

So all in all, Igbo people are quite eccentric and come in all shapes and forms.
I'm really sorry though that so many (due to their position in western Africa) were bought and sold as slaves.

Igbos have lost over 3.5 million people and over £50bn due to white interference! (NASlaveTrade)
They still however hold prominent position today and are reshaping Africa!

Notable Igbo include: Buchi Emecheta and Tinie Tempah (UK music industry)

Thank you for reading!

Here are pictures of the Igbo people, its culture and beautiful origins!
Original post by k.n.h.
Probably. Don't see how it's going to stop the 'negative' comments flooding on here in the long run though...

True but she had to try
On the Hadharem post you state that Islam is the largest religion in the world. I’m not sure it is, more people practice Christianity. Other than that interesting and nice to learn about others.
Original post by Andrew97
On the Hadharem post you state that Islam is the largest religion in the world. I’m not sure it is, more people practice Christianity. Other than that interesting and nice to learn about others.

And here he is
(edited 6 years ago)
Please keep the debate respectful and make sure posts adhere to the TSR Community Rules. Thank you.
1. The somali people

First off, I'll address the confusion between Somalian and Somali.
Somali is a tribe in Somalia.
Over 95% of Somalians are Somali. This is how the term became interchangeable.
Somalians is anyone from Somalia, the remaining ethnogroups of Somalians can be Afar, Oromo or even Maasai.

Now for the Somali people.

Somalis are an ethnic group inhabiting the Horn of Africa.

The overwhelming majority of Somalis speak the Somali language, which is part of the Cushitic branch of the Afroasiatic family.

They are predominantly Sunni Muslim. A Somali diaspora community is also found in parts of the Middle East, North America, Oceania and Europe.

An Ancient Chinese document from the 9th century AD referred to the northern Somalia coast which was then part of a broader region in Northeast Africa known as Barbara (Eritrea today, Axum and New Kingdom then), in reference to the area's Berber (Hamitic) inhabitants

Ancient rock paintings, which date back 5000 years, have been found in the northern part of Somalia. These engravings depict early life in the territory.

According to most scholars, the ancient Land of Punt and its inhabitants formed part of the ethnogenesis (the formation) of the Somali people.

Also, The exact number of speakers of Somali is unknown, sources suggest upwards of 7 million and I guess this is what you get when you have such a diverse community within an ethnogroup!

Also: Unfortunately the majority of Somali people live in absolute poverty!

2. The genetics of the somali people

Somalis are ethnically of Hamitic ancestry (Caucasoid), but have genealogical traditions of descent from various Arabian patriarchs associated with the spread of Islam.
The five major clan families within the Somali tribe are the Darod, Dir, Hawiye, Isaaq and the Rahanweyn. Minor Somali clans include Benadiri.

On a lesser note, I believe I may have Isaaq somali ancestry. Of which I'm proud of!

The Somali people commonly have the haplogroup E3B1B which is also found in many Italians (specifically Sicilians) today!

According to mtDNA studies by Holden, a significant proportion of the maternal lineages of Somalis consists of the M1 haplogroup.

This mitochondrial group is very common among Ethiopians and North Africans, particularly Egyptians and Algerians.

Criticism of Somalis due to genetics:

Somali people have been criticised in the past and aren't viewed as black by African Americans due to their genetics and their features!
However we can all agree that despite the differences, Somalians are Africans and so are the Somalis!

Spoiler

3. The significance of the somali people

Somalis have a rich musical heritage centered on traditional Somali folklore. Most Somali songs are pentatonic.

Somalis have old visual art traditions, which include pottery, jewelry and wood carving.
Furthermore, In the medieval period, affluent urbanites commissioned local wood and marble carvers to work on their interiors and houses. Intricate patterns also adorn the mihrabs and pillars of ancient Somali mosques.

Football is the most popular sport amongst Somalis. Important competitions are the Somalia League and Somalia Cup. The Ocean Stars is Somalia's multi-ethnic national team.

Traditionally, Somali men typically wear the macawis. It is a sarong that is worn around the waist. On their heads, they often wrap a colorful turban or wear the koofiyad, which is an embroidered fez.

Somali cuisine varies from region to region and consists of a fusion of diverse culinary influences. It is the product of Somalia's rich tradition of trade and commerce. Despite the variety, there remains one thing that unites the various regional cuisines: all food is served halal. There are therefore no pork dishes, alcohol is not served, nothing that died on its own is eaten, and no blood is incorporated in their food!

Somali scholars have for centuries produced many notable examples of Islamic literature ranging from poetry to Hadiths!

Somali architecture is a rich and diverse tradition of engineering and designing. It involves multiple different construction types, such as stone cities, castles, citadels, fortresses, mosques, mausoleums, towers, tombs, tumuli, cairns, megaliths, menhirs, stelae, dolmens, stone circles, monuments, temples, enclosures, cisterns, aqueducts, and lighthouses. Any visit to Bosaso will surely tell the story!

Notable somalis include: Yasmin Warsame, Omar Ali and Mo Farah!

Thanks for reading!

Here are a few pictures of the very diverse group of Somalis. I have tried to find a picture of the different people per clan!
1. The Xhosa peoples

The Xhosa (Khoi-san) people are a Bantu ethnic group of Southern Africa mainly found in the Eastern and Western Cape, South Africa, and in the last two centuries throughout the southern and central-southern parts of the country.

There is a small but significant Xhosa community in Zimbabwe, where their language, Xhosa, is recognised as a national language.

The Xhosa people are divided into several tribes with related yet distinct heritages.

The main tribes are AmaGcaleka, AmaRharhabe, ImiDange, ImiDushane, and AmaNdlambe.

In addition, there are other clans found near or amongst the Xhosa people such as AbaThembu, AmaBhaca, AbakoBhosha and AmaQwathi that are distinct and separate tribes which have adopted the Xhosa language and the Xhosa way of life.

So you may be wondering what the Amas are. Ama just means 'a lot of'. If I said 'AmaBhulu' that would be me referring to the clan Bhulu and the fact that there are a lot of them!

The name "Xhosa" comes from that of a legendary leader and King called Xhosa.

The Xhosa people refer to themselves as the AmaXhosa, and to their language as isiXhosa.

Presently approximately 8 million Xhosa are distributed across the country, South Africa, and the Xhosa language is South Africa's second-most-populous home language, after the Zulu language, to which Xhosa is closely related.

History: The pre-1994 apartheid system denied Xhosas South African citizenship, but enabled them to have self-governing "homelands" such as Transkei.

Many Xhosa live in Cape Town, East London and Port Elizabeth.

Xhosa is a tonal language of the Bantu family.

While the Xhosas call their language "isiXhosa", it is usually referred to as "Xhosa" in English.

Among its features, the Xhosa language famously has fifteen click sounds, originally borrowed from now extinct Khoisan languages of the region. Xhosa also has eighteen click consonants!

Here is a video: [video="youtube;baEiWB2aM9Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baEiWB2aM9Y[/video]

2. The genetics of the Xhosa people

The ancient origins, anatomical, linguistic and genetic distinctiveness of southern African San and Khoikhoi people are matters of confusion and debate. They are variously described as the world’s first or oldest people; Africa’s first or oldest people, or the first people of South Africa.

They are in fact two evolutionary related but culturally distinct groups of populations that have occupied southern Africa for up to 140,000 years. Their first-people status is due to the fact that they commonly retain genetic elements of the most ancient Homo sapiens.

If you want to know the origins of the human race, look to the Khoisan people!

The origins of the Khoisan people also disprove theories of race!

The Y-DNA haplogroup of all Khoi-San peoples is A.
They are our y-dna Adam!

A common paternal lineage is, A3 or A2M6.

3. The significance of the Xhosa people

The Nama Step Dance is a Nama-Khoisan dance based in identity, indigenous knowledge and culture.

It suggests cultural and social immersion filled with artistic/symbolic signs.

It is a lively dance which is passed down from generation to generation and expresses the essence of social interaction and a Nama-Khoisan livelihood.

The Khoisan people were among many who were dispossessed by colonial and other Dutch-peoples in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Following the end of apartheid, the South African government allowed Khoisan families to pursue land claims which existed prior to 1913.

Constitutional reform enabled Khoisan people to pursue further claims to land from which their direct ancestors were removed prior to 9 June 1913.

A famous Xhosa man is Nelson Mandela!

Thanks for reading!

Here are some images of the Xhosa people!
1. The Kanuri people

The Kanuri people (a.k.a Kanouri, Kanowri and Yerwa) are sub-Saharan Bantu ethnic group living largely in the lands of the former Kanem and Bornu Empires in Niger, Nigeria and Cameroon.

Those generally termed Kanuri include several subgroups and dialect groups, some of whom feel themselves distinct from the Kanuri.

Most trace their origins to ruling lineages of the medieval Kanem-Bornu Empire, its client states or provinces.

In contrast to neighboring Toubou or Zaghawa pastoralists, Kanuri groups have traditionally been sedentary, engaging in farming, fishing the Chad Basin, and engaged in trade and salt processing.

The Kanuri became Muslims in the 11th century.

Kanem became a centre of Muslim learning and the Kanuri soon controlled all the area surrounding Lake Chad and a powerful empire called Kanem Empire, which reached its height in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries when they ruled much of Middle Africa.

Following the downfall of the Bornu Empire and the Scramble for Africa in the 19th century, the Kanuri were divided under the rule of the British, French and German Empires.

2. The genetics of the Kanuri people

The largest population of Kanuri reside in the northeast corner of Nigeria, where the ceremonial Emirate of Bornu traces direct descent from the Kanem-Bornu empire, founded sometime before 1000 CE.

Some 3 million Kanuri speakers live in Nigeria, not including the some 200,000 speakers of the Manga or Mangari dialect.

The Nga people in Bauchi State trace their origins to a Kanuri diaspora.

Originally a pastoral people, the Kanuri were one of many Nilo-Saharan groups indigenous to the Central South Sahara, beginning their expansion in the area of Lake Chad in the late 7th century, and absorbing both indigenous Nilo-Saharan and Chadic (Afro-Asiatic) speakers.

3. The significance of the Kanuri people

In Nigeria, famous post-independence Kanuri leaders include the politicians Kashim Ibrahim, Ibrahim Imam, Zannah Bukar Dipcharima, Shettima Ali Monguno, Abba Habib,Muhammad Ngileruma, Baba Gana Kingibe, former GNPP leader Waziri Ibrahim, and the former military ruler, Sani Abacha.

As you can tell, the Kanuri people are strongly linked to politics across West Africa!

In Niger, Kanuri political leaders include the former Prime Minister of Niger Mamane Oumarou, and the former President of Niger, Mamadou Tandja.

Notable Kanuri people include: Sani Abacha

Thanks for reading!

Here are some images;
Reply 15
Thank you for this and the time you've put into it. I had no idea there was this much diversity
1. The Rashaida peoples

*A lesser known group*

The Rashaida, Rashaayda or Bani Rashid (Arabic: بني رشيد, الرشايدة‎) is a tribe of ethnic Bedouin Arabs descending from Banu Abs native to the Hejaz region of Saudi Arabia.

They currently inhabit Yemen, Jordan, Eritrea, Sudan, Libya and Tunisia.

There isn't much known about the Rashaida tribe, and they've also integrated into communities within the gulf of Aden and the horn of Africa, so it is quite hard to tell what has come about from this group of people!

History: In 1846, many Rashaida migrated from the Hejaz region in present-day Saudi Arabia into what is now Sudan, Kuwait, Ras Al Khaimah and Umm Al-Quwain, United Arab Emirates after tribal warfare had broken out in their homeland.

This resulted in the deaths of over 1 million Rashaida men and women.

The current recorded populus is just at 0.2 million people today!

They are present in other Arab countries too, such as Egypt, Libya, Palestine.
'Large numbers of Bani Rasheed are also found on the Arabian Peninsula.'

2. The genetics of the Rashaida people

The Bani Rasheed are descendants of the Banu Abs tribe.

The Banu Abs are of the Northern Arabized Arabs, meaning they descend from Adnan.

The Rashaida believe that they are the direct relatives of Ishmael! Which you'll learn about in the old testament! Or in earlier Islamic scriptures.

The Rashaida people are Hamitic in origin (Caucasoid) and possess the E3B1B gene.
They are closely linked to Somali people and rightfully so, these groups have encountered each other quite a lot in history!

Ancient Arabic texts describe the meeting of the Banu Abs to the Barbaras in the creation of Aksum (or Axum).

You can learn more about Axum and the (then) large territories here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axum

3. The significance of the Rashaida people

The Rashaida keep their traditional dress, culture, customs, camel breeds and practice of Sunni Islam.

The racing camel breeds of the Rashaida tribe are prized all over Sudan and the Arabian Peninsula and fetch very high prices.

The tribe is known for its independence and bravery, as it had been called one of the Jamarat of the Arabs, or the most powerful tribes that took no allegiance to anyone but themselves.

The earliest stories regard tales of war and chivalry before Islam, in the famous war of Al-Dahhas wil Ghabraa, between them and their cousins Banu Thibyaan, which had lasted almost 40 years.

Spoiler

The modern Rashaida tribe is quite small and scattered across the region of East and North Africa.
Significant populations of this tribe can be found in Eritrea and Sudan!

In addition, branches of the tribe can be found in the US, Indonesia and even Israel!

Members and descendants of the tribe may carry the tribal name or some variation thereof, such as:
Alabsi, Al-Absy, al-Absy, Al'Absy, Al Absy, Al-Absi, al-Absi, Al'Absi, Al Absi, Absy, Absi, Absey, Abzi.

So, if you ever meet someone called "Al Absy" - ask them if they're a member of the Rashaida tribe!
This just means son of "Abs". Remember, Rashaida people believe that they are directly related to Ishmael, in the old testament!
Original post by Bobeth
Thank you for this and the time you've put into it. I had no idea there was this much diversity

You'r e welcome and thanks for reading!
Reply 18
Upon reflection, my fave African is Titi Camara. Loved that guy.
1. The Maghrebi people

The Maghreb or the Maghrebians are the native inhabitants of the Maghreb in Northwest Africa.
Maghrebis were known in medieval times as Roman Africans or Moors.

The term Moor is derived from Mauri, the Roman name for the Berbers of Roman Mauretania or (if you guessed it) Mauritania.

The Maghreb used to be majority Christian however the domination of Christianity ended when Arab invasions brought Islam in 647.

Carthage fell in 698 (I wish I could make another thread about the GREATNESS of Carthage) and the remainder of the region followed in subsequent decades.

There are over 110 million Maghrebi people living all over the world today (primarily in North africa)

Recently, the Christian community of Berber or Arab descent has experienced significant growth, and conversions to Christianity, especially Evangelicism of the Word has seen a 2015 study estimate that over 380,000 Muslims converted to Christianity in Algeria!

Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, and Libya established the Maghreb Union in 1989 to promote cooperation and economic integration within the countries.

It was envisioned initially by the late Muammar Gaddafi (RIP) of Maghrebi descent who wanted to link African currency to gold but was met with strong criticism by the French and the US.

Spoiler

2. The genetics of the Maghrebi people.

Maghrebi are defined as North Africans with moderate Alpinid and Nordic influence.

A significant proportion of the Rif Berbers, Kabyles and Chouias have blue or green eyes.

The highest occurrence of Maghrebi people is in Libya and Tunisia.

The Y-chromosome genetic structure of the Maghreb population seems to be linked to the geography.

Research has proven that the Y-DNA haplogroup E3B1B and J, which are common among Afroasiatic-speaking populations in Africa and the Middle East, are frequent in the Maghreb; especially the haplogroup E-M215 (formerly E1b1b1b, E-M81 and E3b1b) which is typical of the indigenous Berber populations.

In some parts of Tunisia, E1b1b-M215 can peak at 100% of the population. Followed by Haplogroup J, which is typically Middle Eastern, which can reach frequencies of 40% in the region, and has its highest density founded in the southwestern Arabian Peninsula.

These Y-DNA haplogroups are observed in both Berber and Arabic speakers.

So are North Africans Arab? No.

Arabs (those in the middle east) are North Africans who have migrated outwards in the Westward expansion of Africa! They now have their own linguistics, cultures and practices which have developed overtime.

3. The significance of the Maghrebi people.

How could I talk about their significance without mentioning Col. Gaddafi.

This section will talk about him and his influence over the Maghreb.
The largest irrigation system in the world also known as the great man made river was designed to make water readily available to all Libyan’s across the entire country.
It was funded by the Gaddafi government and it said that Gaddafi himself called it ”the eighth wonder of the world”.

When a Libyan woman gave birth, she was given a loan of 5000 USD. This was because Gaddafi believed that the maternal death of women in Libya was too high (accounted for 6.9% of all deaths in 1972).
This may not seem big now, but back then - it was everything!

Electricity was free in Libya and there weren't any electric bills!

Libya also had its own State bank, which provided loans to citizens at zero percent interest by law and they had no external debt.

So why did he die - and why did the French support his execution?

Before the fall of Tripoli and his untimely demise, Gaddafi was trying to introduce a single African currency linked to gold.
Following in the foot steps of the late great pioneer Marcus Garvey who first coined the term ”United States of Africa”.

Gaddafi wanted to introduce and only trade in the African gold Dinar a move which would have thrown the world economy into chaos.
He was viewed as a terrorist and African nationalist as a result since he threatened to withdraw Libyan oil from the market.

The Dinar was widely opposed by the ‘elite’ of today’s society and who could blame them.

African nations would have finally had the power to bring itself out of debt and poverty and only trade in this precious commodity.

They would have been able to finally say ‘no’ to external exploitation and charge whatever they felt suitable for precious resources.

It has been said that the gold Dinar was the real reason for the NATO led rebellion, in a bid to oust the outspoken leader.

--

More on Maghrabi people and their significance.

Under Gaddafi, Libya could boast one of the best healthcare services in the Middle East and Africa. Also if a Libyan citizen could not access the desired educational course or correct medical treatment in Libya they were funded to go abroad.

Source: http://911-truth.net/other-books/Muammar-Qaddafi-Green-Book-Eng.pdf

Maghrebis have settled mainly in the industrial regions in France, especially in the Ile de France and Mediterranean regions.

Many famous French people such as Édith Piaf, Isabelle Adjani, Arnaud Montebourg, Alain Bashung, Dany Boon and many others have Maghrebi ancestry.

If you're french and you've done a DNA test which has shown you have more than 5% north african ancestry, I really recommend you research your lineage and find out more about the Maghrebi!

So, thank you for reading!

Here are some pictures of the Maghrebi peoples!

Quick Reply

Latest