The Student Room Group

Revision

How do you guys revision.I have been revising like for so long like make notes and reading text books and the information is not staying in my brain
Reply 1
Ugh i have a similar problem, nothing is sticking, i can't even do past papers for my A level physics because i dont understand how the markscheme has the answer it does. 😫.
Working through questions literally step by step has done me well so far, and i dont suppose you do physics (at either A level or Gcse) but there's this website that's just for physics if anyone needs it - its brilliant.
www.antoinine-education.co.uk
Reply 2
Everyone learns differently so just try and stick with it i suppose, i heard somewhere that the more engaged your senses are the better your memory - like if you read a textbook, say it out loud, chew some gum, have a scented candle going, all at the same time your brain will take in more information.
This was just some speech given to me by a talker at my school, he was famous for memorisng pi though, so he probably knows his stuff 😂
Reply 3
Original post by Lucie J
Ugh i have a similar problem, nothing is sticking, i can't even do past papers for my A level physics because i dont understand how the markscheme has the answer it does. 😫.
Working through questions literally step by step has done me well so far, and i dont suppose you do physics (at either A level or Gcse) but there's this website that's just for physics if anyone needs it - its brilliant.
www.antoinine-education.co.uk

Thank for some reason the link isn’t working
Also is a level physics good cuz I hear everyone saying you have to good at maths to do it k
Reply 4
Yeah it is pretty heavy on with the maths, a lot of forumlas and manipulating them etc, but its super interesting. Unfortunately its freakishly hard.
Reply 5
Original post by Lucie J
Yeah it is pretty heavy on with the maths, a lot of forumlas and manipulating them etc, but its super interesting. Unfortunately its freakishly hard.

I was thinking on taking when I do a levels but I’m not good at maths.
What other a levels do take and also sorry for asking but what grade did u get for gces
Reply 6
Its ok xx and i take physics, computer science, and maths, i take bio as well but ill be dropping that in about a week.
I got A* for the 3 sciences, and RE, i got an 8 in maths, a 7 in Eng lit, a 6 in Eng lang, an A in both history and French.
Original post by Lucie J
Its ok xx and i take physics, computer science, and maths, i take bio as well but ill be dropping that in about a week.
I got A* for the 3 sciences, and RE, i got an 8 in maths, a 7 in Eng lit, a 6 in Eng lang, an A in both history and French.

Wow...how did you revise for history and french. I can revise for history and like learn the information but i need help on how to answer exam questions. French, i dont know how to revise.
Reply 8
Original post by AS02x
Wow...how did you revise for history and french. I can revise for history and like learn the information but i need help on how to answer exam questions. French, i dont know how to revise.

Same I hate languages I can’t stand it
Reply 9
Original post by Lucie J

Wow that is amazing for a levels I’m planing to take biology and chemistry but Idk if I should take geogly or geography as there Both the same
For history i was literally the same, answering the questions was so hard, eventually i just started going through past papers and writing a plan for each question (as in bullet point lists with really concise versions of everything i thought i could say about the question for the earlier/ easier questions, then tables that compare for later questions) and i never bothered writing out the full essay because i really didnt expect to get the kind of grade i did so i just made sure that for every question id be able to write down some information, then to hell with PEEZWEL ( i dunno if you know what that means - im not crazy its just one of those stupid ways of organising a paragraph). i know some of my friends who got the A* used mind maps and flashcards that were colourful and had little pictures on them for information, then did what i did with plans but actually wrote essays and went back to teachers for help with structure.

As for french, theres this app called memrise that was really good that helps with reading and listening, also flashcards with little drawrings for words (my friend who i revised french with was ground breaking bad at drawring, we couldnt even tell what she'd drawn most of the time, but its the action of drawring that helps you remember apparently). I found writing a paragraph out that youve made up about a random topic (like those annoying times you had to describe a holiday or something) is actually really good for vocab, and you can take that a step further so its super helpful by using google translate to learn to actually say it out loud - id recomended this the most cos it did me wonders in the listening exam. xx good luck with everything
Original post by Jpatel70
Wow that is amazing for a levels I’m planing to take biology and chemistry but Idk if I should take geogly or geography as there Both the same

Id say it tottally depends on what your interested in, liking the subject is so important, but for now dont even stress about choosing your a levels for definate - if youve picked 2 out of 3 then your doing better than i was 😂😂. In the half term you could look up the spec for geology and geography online, and just see which you prefer - no mattter that you put on your sixthform application you can change the subject up until a few weeks into the course for most places. Actually applying to the place you wanna go is whats most important.
My best friend does geography, she says she's shocked at how hard it is compared to GCSE, but its still her fav lesson and she takes maths (soon to be dropped she hates it 😂) bio and chem. Chem is very hard apparently, but if that's your thing then go for it, itll be possible. Bio is pretty good, its really cool the kind of detail you go into for literally everything - one of the first topics is what makes up a cell membrane.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending