The Student Room Group

100 pound calculator for further maths and maths (2008 spec)- worth it? alternatives?

Hi, as the title says I am considering the following 100 pound calculator for my edecxel (2008 spec) exams in further maths and maths.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-CG50-CASIO-Graphic-Calculator/dp/B071S1HRM7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518816008&sr=8-2&keywords=casio+graphical+calculator&dpID=51bUajwFfXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

For my A-levels I need to get A*A* in further maths and maths and so anything that may improve my exam performance I am strongly considering. The calculator is very expensive though.
So, can you recommend alternative graphical calculators usable in an edexcel maths/further maths exam, which are cheaper ( I don't really care for colour display,3D-plotting,...)?

Scroll to see replies

you don't need a graphical calculator to get an A* though so save your money. (everyone in my school used scientific calculators which are £10 and some managed to get A*s for edexcel 2008 spec)
Original post by bluenotewitt
Hi, as the title says I am considering the following 100 pound calculator for my edecxel (2008 spec) exams in further maths and maths.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-CG50-CASIO-Graphic-Calculator/dp/B071S1HRM7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518816008&sr=8-2&keywords=casio+graphical+calculator&dpID=51bUajwFfXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

For my A-levels I need to get A*A* in further maths and maths and so anything that may improve my exam performance I am strongly considering. The calculator is very expensive though.
So, can you recommend alternative graphical calculators usable in an edexcel maths/further maths exam, which are cheaper ( I don't really care for colour display,3D-plotting,...)?

I'd imagine a calculator at that price range can perform symbolic/algebraic calculus. Calculators that have this function are banned, so whatever you buy, make sure it meets that rule.

As @bigcook said, you're better off saving your money.

Spoiler

Reply 3

loooool you really want a 100 pound calculator for A-levels???? **** man I passed my Bachelors and MSc in aeronautical engineering with a 10 pound casio hahahahah
Original post by bigcook
you don't need a graphical calculator to get an A* though so save your money. (everyone in my school used scientific calculators which are £10 and some managed to get A*s for edexcel 2008 spec)

Really? I have been looking into other threads on this topic on tsr and I found the opinions on this to be quite varied. Even if there is only a smal chance the calculator may make exams easier for me I would certainly consider them (money aside)!
Reply 5
Casio fx-991es, is the one I used. You really don't need much more

I have that calculator. The 3D plotting is only really useful for FP3. The matrices and graphing functions are very useful, and the screen is pretty good for a calculator. But honestly, I mostly use it to play Pokemon.
Reply 7
numbers is numbers
Original post by Nagromicous
I have that calculator. The 3D plotting is only really useful for FP3. The matrices and graphing functions are very useful, and the screen is pretty good for a calculator. But honestly, I mostly use it to play Pokemon.

Are you referring to the 2008 spec FP3? Is the calculator quite bulky/obvious?
Reply 9
Original post by Blue_Cow
I'd imagine a calculator at that price range can perform symbolic/algebraic calculus. Calculators that have this function are banned, so whatever you buy, make sure it meets that rule.

This particular calculator is fine for A Level but I've never seen the need to spend that much on a graphics calculator for A Level.
Original post by Notnek
This particular calculator is fine for A Level but I've never seen the need to spend that much on a graphics calculator for A Level.

Whoops :colondollar: I didn't click on the link :facepalm2::facepalm::facepalm2:

I don't know anyone w/ a calculator THAT expensive for A-Levels either.
Are you referring to the 2008 spec FP3? Is the calculator quite bulky/obvious?

No, I'm referring to 2004 MEI FP3. It's fairly bulky, but I don't really see why that would be an issue. I took a picture for comparison: http://puu.sh/zpht9/4fb7ab55e6.jpg
Original post by Azzor
loooool you really want a 100 pound calculator for A-levels???? **** man I passed my Bachelors and MSc in aeronautical engineering with a 10 pound casio hahahahah

Why should I not consider something that may help me in my exams and help me get into my university, just for the sake of my pride? If it can help me, I will consider it. No matter how that makes me look.
Original post by Nagromicous
No, I'm referring to 2004 MEI FP3. It's fairly bulky, but I don't really see why that would be an issue. I took a picture for comparison: http://puu.sh/zpht9/4fb7ab55e6.jpg

Honestly, I would recommend it if you don't already have a graphical calculator and it's within your budget. When I first got a graphical calculator it exceeded my expectations by far.
Reply 16
Why should I not consider something that may help me in my exams and help me get into my university, just for the sake of my pride? If it can help me, I will consider it. No matter how that makes me look.

I am not saying you shouldn't buy it, just that it's not worth it. Better save money and learn properly how to do the stuff. Idk man, if you think it will be of help just buy... :redface:
I know someone who got 100 UMS in all his modules with the standard grey cheap casio calculator.

I know someone else who was on track for Oxbridge in every way and then messed up his maths A level with the best calculator combination possible. Most people who use graphics calculators tend to try to compensate for one of their weaknesses with it, which isn't the best idea when a real tough question comes in and shakes you to your core knowledge.
Original post by crimniam
numbers is numbers

Thanks, I will take that I will take that advise along with me :biggrin:

this cost less than a tenner second hand.

Quick Reply

Latest