The Student Room Group

DSA Allowance and Sleep Apnea / Type 2 Diabetes

Does the conditioned mentioned in the subject count as a disabliity?
Original post by tyw7
Does the conditioned mentioned in the subject count as a disabliity?

To get DSA, your condition must be long term (ie, you can't claim for a broken leg) and must affect your ability to study. DSA won't pay for costs you have as a student or everyday disability costs. (such as prescriptions, hospital appointments, etc) They'd only pay for costs you have because you're a disabled student. (note taker, study mentor, text to speech software, etc)

Not knowing anything about the condition itself, I can't comment on whether you'd qualify. But it has to be long term and affect your ability to study.
DSA allowance for a student? I was under the impression that it was just a disability grant for the stuff Tiger Rag mentioned?

I have Crohn's disease, it does not affect me academically but my university has never prompted me regarding it. If you are a student, I would imagine you could only get help stuff that would possibly hinder your studies.
Reply 3
To count as a disability, under the terms of the 2010 Equality act, a condition must substantially affect your ability to carry out day to day tasks.

If you're asking for the purposes of DSAs, you will need to ask your doctor/nurse practitioner or similar health professional to provide written confirmation of your diagnosis and a description of how the condition(s) affect your ability to carry out day to day tasks, or a copy of your post age 16 psychologist's report if your're claiming for a learning difficulty such as Dyslexia. If you're accepted as eligible for DSAs, you'll be invited to book a study needs assessment and it is in this that the effects your condition has on your studies will be looked at.
Reply 4
It doesn't really affect me day to day. Their application process was a bit confusing about what count and what didn't count.
Original post by tyw7
It doesn't really affect me day to day. Their application process was a bit confusing about what count and what didn't count.

If it doesn't really affect you day to day, you won't get it.
Reply 6
OK fair enough. And though so.

Quick Reply

Latest