The Student Room Group

When to start Past Papers? For Bio and Chem AQA Alevel?

Hi guys,

Im in year 13 and I was wondering when the best time to start past papers? I ve heard people saying its too late and people who said they started a month before exams.

Is doing all the Questions by topics tests the same as doing all the past papers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MerkyM
Hi guys,

Im in year 13 and I was wondering when the best time to start past papers? I ve heard people saying its too late and people who said they started a month before exams.

Is doing all the Questions by topics tests the same as doing all the past papers?

Start when you feel in charge of the core material. Do single questions or 20-30-40 min blocks. You cant really move onto exams full time until you get a grip on the core material. Gradually shift your revision to exam papers as the majority as soon as is reasonable 8/6/4 weeks.

Question unlimited time + books

Limited time + books.

Limited time and no books.

Use mark schemes.
Original post by MerkyM
Hi guys,

Too late?!
Reply 3
Original post by sunshine774
Too late?!

Is it actually?
Original post by MerkyM
Hi guys,

Whenever you feel like you understand each and every concept thoroughly! Don't listen to them, it is not late at all!!
Original post by Black Water
Is it actually?

No it can't be it's only February there's plenty of time left as long as you work!:tongue: Do you think it's too late?
Reply 6
No it can't be it's only February there's plenty of time left as long as you work!:tongue: Do you think it's too late?

Oh I thought you were serious lol. No I don’t, I think you can do them in April as well since a lot of exams start in May.
Too late ahh !! We've got time dw
Oh I thought you were serious lol. No I don’t, I think you can do them in April as well since a lot of exams start in May.

No I was just a bit confused lol. Yeah, and A level exams are mostly in June (I only have one exam in May) so there's plenty of time! Are you a student?
Original post by nisha.sri
Too late ahh !! We've got time dw

Yeah dw! I have a friend who said in December he thinks it's too late to start revising :tongue:
Reply 10
No I was just a bit confused lol. Yeah, and A level exams are mostly in June (I only have one exam in May) so there's plenty of time! Are you a student?

Oh, you’re lucky. Yeah most/all of mine are in May. :smile:
Oh, you’re lucky. Yeah most/all of mine are in May. :smile:

Yeah I am!:smile: Oh and you're doing A levels? That's strange. But at least you'll finish earlier!
Reply 12
Yeah I am!:smile: Oh and you're doing A levels? That's strange. But at least you'll finish earlier!

Yeah. I’m doing Maths, FM and Physics. In one week I have one exams for each day for 5 days.
Reply 13
Start doing the AS papers now, and make a spreadsheet of what you got for each paper and what you got wrong (to avoid making same mistakes again)

Start A level past papers about March/April when you finish the content.
Yeah. I’m doing Maths, FM and Physics. In one week I have one exams for each day for 5 days.

Nice :smile: You only have 5 days of exams?!
Reply 15
Nice :smile: You only have 5 days of exams?!

6 actually. I might do a Cert in Finance which will give like 2 more exams maybe.
The most important thing when doing past papers is to have them checked properly. Do one. Get it checked. If you made a mistake ensure that you understand why you made a mistake and try to ensure that you won't make that mistake again. Then repeat.

When to begin this process depends on the availability of someone who can check your papers properly. If they are willing to do one a week, count how many past papers you have access to and then do the math.
Reply 17
I am also year 13 student and doing AQA biology, chemistry and maths. I think that earlier we start better it will be so that we can start as many as we want.
and It depends on ourselves that how we manage time.Personally, I feel that there is not enough time so we have to start soon then we can revise again and again and feel more confident.
And doing past questions is not as much effective as papers I believe.I only do past questions on a particular topic when I am not confident with that topic but doing past papers is much better as in every next question they are asking about something new so you can point out your weakness....

That's only my experience.......
6 actually. I might do a Cert in Finance which will give like 2 more exams maybe.

Lucky mine are over 3/4 weeks!
Reply 19
Lucky mine are over 3/4 weeks!

That’s kind of unlucky. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest