The Student Room Group

pls inspire me to do medicine at uni!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hania04
Okay, that’s perfect.
I’m not sure, I’m struggling to pinpoint it. I have a feeling it’s worrying about not getting the A Level requirements and resitting them are ridiculously expensive!! I assume there’s no other way around it if you don’t get the grades? Also, the personal statement writing seems slightly daunting hahah!

That is the case for any course. E.g. it happened to me when I applied to Cambridge, I questioned myself so much over whether I would get A*AA and in the end I ended up with 4A*s haha. It pushes you. Also personal statement is going to be a problem for any university and any course! It is unfortunately one of thsoe things you just have to do
Reply 21
Original post by fingerscrossed-3
I would say that the fear of rejection/applying is there whatever you apply for - my friend applied for maths and was basically guaranteed 5 offers with her grades yet she was still terrified. The process is pretty stressful but if it's really what you want to do then go for it because you will only regret it if you don't! Good luck 😊
Btw I applied for 2018 entry, had 4 interviews and currently have 1 offer (and 1 rejection :/ ) so if you have any questions I'm happy to help

Yeah, I agree for sure! I think that’s my main issue. Aw, thank you! Congrats on the offer!! Two more to go yet, good luck!!
Just do what you enjoy
Reply 23
Original post by DrXavier
That is the case for any course. E.g. it happened to me when I applied to Cambridge, I questioned myself so much over whether I would get A*AA and in the end I ended up with 4A*s haha. It pushes you. Also personal statement is going to be a problem for any university and any course! It is unfortunately one of thsoe things you just have to do

Wow, that’s impressive!! I have a feeling it’s a lot of general uni application nerves rather than specific to medicine. UKCAT is quite nerve wracking though
Original post by hania04
Wow, that’s impressive!! I have a feeling it’s a lot of general uni application nerves rather than specific to medicine. UKCAT is quite nerve wracking though

That is true the admissions tests are a test for the nerves indeed! But again it isn't the be all and end all, the likelihood is, provided you work for them, you will do okay. At least okay enough to be interviewed haha
Medicine shouldn't be equated to other sciences and please consider its very social, ethical and intimate aspects as a prospective Medical applicant.
Medicine is non-identical to other sciences.
You can't resolve a problem in Medicine perfectly but as a Medic, you'd always want to do the best you can.
Is it in your character to do so? If you like having a clear and concise answer then maybe Medicine isn't for you.
You can't get away with having no respect for professionals, individuals who may be your patients and you can't work in Medicine without empathy otherwise you'd have learnt nothing from the profession and the work experiences which you'd have taken.

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 26
That is true the admissions tests are a test for the nerves indeed! But again it isn't the be all and end all, the likelihood is, provided you work for them, you will do okay. At least okay enough to be interviewed haha

God yeah, i’d like to think so. Hardly surviving a levels, don’t know why I’m considering uni 😰
Original post by hania04
God yeah, i’d like to think so. Hardly surviving a levels, don’t know why I’m considering uni 😰

yeaaah this conversation might be good once you have done some exams :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by erratic_deus
Medicine shouldn't be equated to other sciences and please consider its very social, ethical and intimate aspects as a prospective Medical applicant.
Medicine is non-identical to other sciences.
You can't resolve a problem in Medicine perfectly but as a Medic, you'd always want to do the best you can.
Is it in your character to do so? If you like having a clear and concise answer then maybe Medicine isn't for you.
You can't get away with having no respect for professionals, individuals who may be your patients and you can't work in Medicine without empathy otherwise you'd have learnt nothing from the profession and the work experiences which you'd have taken.

Good luck with your applications!

Thank you so much! That’s a really helpful answer.
Reply 29
yeaaah this conversation might be good once you have done some exams :wink:

Yeah, very true! You’re welcome to do those exams for me if you like hahah
Original post by hania04
Yeah, very true! You’re welcome to do those exams for me if you like hahah

haha whilst that sounds like a tantalising offer, with so much for me to gain ... I fear I will have to deny myself the pleasure
Original post by hania04
Hi everyone! I’m Hania and I really want to do medicine. Basically, I’m super scared about applying. I was just wondering what are the best things about it? I know I want to do it but I’m scared I won’t get the grades and/or not get accepted. I know it’s tough but I just want to know why you all love it and wanted to do it. Is it worth it basically??

The best thing is to help people when they are ill. To help them to get better, maybe to save their lives. Is the feeling helped a human in an emergency successfully and being appreciate for that not the best what you can get?
Reply 32
haha whilst that sounds like a tantalising offer, with so much for me to gain ... I fear I will have to deny myself the pleasure

whatttt?! Who knew a medic student could be so selfish? :frown:((((
Reply 33
Original post by Kallisto
The best thing is to help people when they are ill. To help them to get better, maybe to save their lives. Is the feeling helped a human in an emergency successfully and being appreciate for that not the best what you can get?

You’re absolutely right! I suppose there’s no greater feeling.
Original post by hania04
I loved it and always have done. It’s incredibly interesting!!

What exactly did you love about it? Reflect upon your experience pro and cons.
Reply 35
Original post by Anonymous1502
What exactly did you love about it? Reflect upon your experience pro and cons.

Well, I mean you get to listen to the life stories of a bunch of patients which is actually quite interesting. Also, the passion which you can see in those doctors who have been in the NHS for the majority of their life is astounding. I don’t think you need much more convincing after talking to someone like that.
So your main problem is you're worried you won't get in?

Honestly, just give it your 100% - the worst that can happen is you won't get in for that academic year - you can then take a gap year to decide if you want to do another course or try again with medicine. You'll also have your actual A-level grades by then so the decision will be a lot easier to make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending