The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Halls confusion

Hi Just looking at what’s available at Reading and am slightly confused about Premium rooms. At Mackinder Premium En-Suite seems to include a 4 foot bed but is this also the case at Bridges in Premium Shared Bathroom or does the Premium part at Bridges mean something else?! I’d really like a bigger bed but don’t really need En-Suite. Also are all these room types available to Undergraduates? It looks like some are for Post Grads only. What about Townhouses? How do they differ? I wasn’t able to view these on my visit day. Apologies for all the questions! Thanks
Original post by Aroundincircles
Hi Just looking at what’s available at Reading and am slightly confused about Premium rooms. At Mackinder Premium En-Suite seems to include a 4 foot bed but is this also the case at Bridges in Premium Shared Bathroom or does the Premium part at Bridges mean something else?! I’d really like a bigger bed but don’t really need En-Suite. Also are all these room types available to Undergraduates? It looks like some are for Post Grads only. What about Townhouses? How do they differ? I wasn’t able to view these on my visit day. Apologies for all the questions! Thanks

Your best bet is really to ring the accommodation office at reading and speak to someone who will know and be able t quickly answer your questions and id what you are looking for.

+44 (0)118 378 4203
[email protected]
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Aroundincircles

Hello!

Thanks for your question, I understand that applying for accommodation can be quite confusing so let me try and help you!

So premium rooms all have a 4 foot bed, and also if they are an en-suite they have a built in shower (rather than a wet room). So the rooms are the same in Bridges and Mackinder, but Bridges just doesn't have an en-suite.

Both Mackinder and Bridges (shared bathroom) are available to undergraduates, the only rooms which are not available to undergraduates are the premium en-suite rooms in Bridges (which there is only one block of compared to 4 blocks of shared bathrooms).

So I lived in a Bridges Townhouse in first year, this is more like a house than a flat. You share with 12 people, the kitchen and living areas (including dining room table and 3 sofas) are on the ground floor with a toilet. Then on each of three floors you have two bathrooms and four rooms, so you are only sharing your bathroom one between two. So it's basically like a 4 storey house! The flats differ in that you have 10 bedrooms along a corridor along with 3 bathrooms with the kitchen/sofas at the end of the corridor. Each block of halls has three floors with three flats on each floor - the kitchen size is slightly smaller as you are sharing with 10 people not 12. Townhouses are available for both postgraduates, international students and undergraduate so it is not as common for undergraduates to be living in them. However, the accommodation office do try and put all of the undergraduates or postgraduates together so you won't be living with all postgraduates if you see what I mean!

Hope this helps you and please feel free to ask more questions!

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending