The Student Room Group

My mum can be really emotionally nasty

Sooo my mum suffers from multiple sclerosis and a bunch of other things. One of the things which I deal with from being around her is some of comments. Her illness has a habit of effecting the way she thinks so she never words things quite right. She can say some really hurtful things and can really upset me but she can never apologise because she thinks it’s okay because of the disease she has. It’s complicated. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?
Reply 1
Original post by greycorns
Same situation!! My mum has had chronic labyrinthitis for half a year now, and it means she's always in pain and takes it really badly out on us. Then when we confront her about it she accuses us of having no sympathy and gets furious lmao, I've literally cried because of how loud she shouts and the horrible way she acts, but I know it's because her illness makes her feel so bad so it's hard to know how to feel about it. So ye I understand completely. What I do is literally just try and keep her happy (not easy lol) but yknow, if she gets angry try and diffuse it asap, and when she's not angry just like make her a cuppa and say she's pretty or whatever - the happier she is the less likely she's say hurtful things I guess. It's really not ideal but you'll probably grow emotionally from this, it's how I think of it. However she acts, just remember it's really out of your control and you didn't do anything to deserve it. Also make sure she manages her illness, takes appropriate medication if it helps her feel less pain and hence be less emotionally nasty towards you. Good luck, and talk to me if ya need to x

omg I’ve never read anything which I can relate to so much!! It’s so tough, right? I try and do the same, i try not to take it to heart but like sometimes it’s damn hard not to. I always feel selfish about it because I know she’s suffering so badly but you know, it does take a toll after a while. Thank you! Good luck to you too and same goes for you!! Always here x
Original post by greycorns
Same situation!! My mum has had chronic labyrinthitis for half a year now, and it means she's always in pain and takes it really badly out on us. Then when we confront her about it she accuses us of having no sympathy and gets furious lmao, I've literally cried because of how loud she shouts and the horrible way she acts, but I know it's because her illness makes her feel so bad so it's hard to know how to feel about it. So ye I understand completely. What I do is literally just try and keep her happy (not easy lol) but yknow, if she gets angry try and diffuse it asap, and when she's not angry just like make her a cuppa and say she's pretty or whatever - the happier she is the less likely she's say hurtful things I guess. It's really not ideal but you'll probably grow emotionally from this, it's how I think of it. However she acts, just remember it's really out of your control and you didn't do anything to deserve it. Also make sure she manages her illness, takes appropriate medication if it helps her feel less pain and hence be less emotionally nasty towards you. Good luck, and talk to me if ya need to x

I didnt read this but dude I cannot take you seriously with that profile pic 😂😂😂
It's too jokes 🤣🤣🤣

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending