The Student Room Group

Best at medium Uni or being worst at top Uni?

Is it better going to a medium ranked University and being the top student there or is it better going to a top Univesity but being an average student? I am unsure at about which type of university to pick.

Scroll to see replies

I would say a top uni as at the end people will look at where you got your degree and will not know whether you were top of the class or not
Original post by OwlOfFire
I would say a top uni as at the end people will look at where you got your degree and will not know whether you were top of the class or not

I dont think she was wondering about how others will see it, but more would it feel better to be the best at a medium uni / would she have a better experience.

But TBH I would just say apply to top and medium unis as long as you like them.
Original post by RZZR
Is it better going to a medium ranked University and being the top student there or is it better going to a top Univesity but being an average student? I am unsure at about which type of university to pick.

As someone who is literally living this atm (and lived the former), the second option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by RZZR

Pick the university with the best course for you.

Also, you will find excellent students at "medium" (and lower) ranked universities. Many students pick a local university or a university that might be "lower" ranking but with an excellent specific course, including A* students.
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
As someone who is literally living this atm (and lived the former), the second option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why though? Surely you will stand out more if your the top student at your university, and recieve more help from lecturers.
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
Pick the university with the best course for you.

Also, you will find excellent students at "medium" (and lower) ranked universities. Many students pick a local university or a university that might be "lower" ranking but with an excellent specific course, including A* students.

How do I know if the course is right for me?
Reply 7
Original post by RZZR
How do I know if the course is right for me?

Research the courses (e.g. the content will not be the same), visit the universities, talk to current students, etc, etc.

Which course are you considering?
(edited 6 years ago)
It depends which unis. Average is fine at a very good uni, but look at other things such as how happy you are and if you are enjoying the course. You may flourish without all the pressure and come away with a better degree. A small nimber of unis offer you big opportunities, so veing average is fine.
It is a good question.

At a middling uni, where you are excelling, you could be freed from the stresses you'd face at a good uni. And it can be very stressful at times if you're not getting the grades you feel you deserve and need, but you're not sure how to improve.

But at the same time you might find yourself hating the lack of challenge, perhaps you'll struggle to mix with people who don't share your ambitions or intellectual abilities. On the one hand, you might have more fun because of less stress but you might have less fun because you struggle to assimilate with the intellectual defective.

I would say that having a very good degree (80%+) from a less established uni is better than having a 65% from a good uni. But life is not as simple as this; can you guarantee you'd be an 80%+ student?

Consider that you will be around people less motivated and capable than you; will you have the energies to push yourself to get that tippy-top grade? It is not uncommon for very bright people to go to mediocre unis and bomb. It is also not uncommon for people to bomb A-Levels, but excel at university. You are not guaranteed good uni grades simply because you were good at A-Levels.
Original post by RZZR
Why though? Surely you will stand out more if your the top student at your university, and recieve more help from lecturers.

The opportunities a top university gives you far outweighs any negligible "support" from lectures. Plus, it's much more rewarding when you're challenged and everyone else is as smart/smarter than you versus the other way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RZZR

If you're worried about being "dumb" in a top uni, this was my worry before starting at my uni. You soon realise people are hella rich, but they were clearly spoon-fed. They ain't that smart.
I'd rather be a bad student at a top uni as long as I get a 2:1
Original post by RZZR

IMO while the content may be harder at a top University it would look pretty dismal for you to bomb given all the resources at your disposale. Most post grad programmes and grad jobs will require a 2.1 or above regardless of where you attend. An average student would be anywhere from a mid 2.2 to a low 2.1 if you were to get a 2.2 you'd be disqualified from all of the above opportunities. Saying that though if you were to get a 2.1 or a 1st you'd be in a stronger position in comparison to someone attending an average uni. With all of the above though it all comes down to individual merits i.e what can you offer. So in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant just make sure your application is as strong as possible giving them no reason to dismiss you. But given that the fee of Universities is the same everywhere you're ultimately paying for a brand i.e a shoe is a shoe but not all shoes are of the same standard the same can be said for Universities you may as well try to get the best brand possible.
Reply 14
Research the courses (e.g. the content will not be the same), visit the universities, talk to current students, etc, etc.

Which course are you considering?

Actuarial Science
Reply 15
Original post by Anagogic
IMO while the content may be harder at a top University it would look pretty dismal for you to bomb given all the resources at your disposale. Most post grad programmes and grad jobs will require a 2.1 or above regardless of where you attend. An average student would be anywhere from a mid 2.2 to a low 2.1 if you were to get a 2.2 you'd be disqualified from all of the above opportunities. Saying that though if you were to get a 2.1 or a 1st you'd be in a stronger position in comparison to someone attending an average uni. With all of the above though it all comes down to individual merits i.e what can you offer. So in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant just make sure your application is as strong as possible giving them no reason to dismiss you. But given that the fee of Universities is the same everywhere you're ultimately paying for a brand i.e a shoe is a shoe but not all shoes are of the same standard the same can be said for Universities you may as well try to get the best brand possible.

Is it easier to get a 1st at a medium uni than a top uni??
Reply 17

Yh ive read it but it still doesnt say whther i should go to a medium uni or a top uni. Is it easier to get a 1st at a medium uni
Reply 18
Original post by RZZR
Yh ive read it but it still doesnt say whther i should go to a medium uni or a top uni. Is it easier to get a 1st at a medium uni

Go to a university with a course you like.

I presume you are in Y12? You have plenty of time to research and visit universities and their courses.

What are you likely A-level grades?
Reply 19
Go to a university with a course you like.

I presume you are in Y12? You have plenty of time to research and visit universities and their courses.

What are you likely A-level grades?

Im in year 13 and im predicted triple A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending