The Student Room Group

As a rule of thumb, what grades do I need to enjoy my life later on?

I know this is controversial and extreme but if you had to base the future entirely on GCSE grades atm, what grades would u say are needed to get a good job(around 60k a year)? Yes I know that it depends on A levels and uni but that's not my question.

Scroll to see replies

It's not the answer you're perhaps looking for but GCSEs really have limited bearing on what you'll earn. Pass the important ones and you'll be fine. It's best to just strive to get the highest grades you as an individual are capable of getting :wink:
Reply 2
all grade 9's. anything else you'll be homeless
Just try not to get anything lower than Cs in anything, aim to average at A/B so like mostly 6/7s. Obviously if you can try and get a few 9s/8s but its not the end of the world.
Original post by xhyper22
I know this is controversial and extreme but if you had to base the future entirely on GCSE grades atm, what grades would u say are needed to get a good job(around 60k a year)? Yes I know that it depends on A levels and uni but that's not my question.

Hi there,

I think this a really good question as knowing how GCSE relates to future success isn't something that is always fully explained.

Employers will always look for a good level of Maths and English at GCSE. If you can achieve a grade 4/5 you should be okay.

If you are looking to progress onto A-levels focus on the core subjects the school ask you to do and aim for at least five grades 9-5 (some may accept 4).

You can sometimes negotiate your salary depending on experience, but generally speaking how much you earn depends on the career you've chosen to go into.

If you've got some career ideas in mind and you want to know what the average salaries are you might find out Job Profiles a good starting point -

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home

I hope this helps.

Sophie - National Careers Service
Reply 5
Really? I probably know nowhere near the amount u do but my school tells us that unless u get 9s, 8s and 7s( grammar school btw so probably explains it), employers will bin your CV.
Really? I probably know nowhere near the amount u do but my school tells us that unless u get 9s, 8s and 7s( grammar school btw so probably explains it), employers will bin your CV.
School tells you that because it's in your school's interest to get high grades, because they are judged on those grades as a school.:wink:

I would think that very few employers really have much of an idea about how the new GCSE grading system works...

A rule of thumb is that your GCSEs/equivalent have to be good enough to get you onto the next stage of your education or into a job. Aim for the best you can, though.
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
School tells you that because it's in your school's interest to get high grades, because they are judged on those grades as a school.:wink:

Right that will be it lol. It's funny how they said it so seriously though.
Right that will be it lol. It's funny how they said it so seriously though.
It's alarming because it stressed everybody out. They say it because a.) they're stressed. and b.) there are always pupils who don't put effort in, and this is an attempt to shock them into revision. It also terrifies pupils who do work hard but get stressy. Winds me up no end.:grumble:
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
I would think that very few employers really have much of an idea about how the new GCSE grading system works...

A rule of thumb is that your GCSEs/equivalent have to be good enough to get you onto the next stage of your education or into a job. Aim for the best you can, though.

To remain in 6th form, I just need 4 7s but employers still tend to look at your GCSEs due to no more AS level. If they see GCSEs more, they might reject someone who gets 8s(which are good grades) as opposed to the one who gets 9s. A levels would obviously be looked at but in this scenario lets say they have similar A levels. Correct me if I'm wrong(almost all the time).
GCSE means bugger all. Its about what you can bring to a company's table. Be it welding, bookkeeping skills or programming or whatever. Its all about work experience. You'll find a few graduates who went to top unis with AAA grades yet they struggle to get a job.
Reply 12
I'm a mature student, well into adulthood. Depending on what you want to do, the two MUST grades are AT LEAST a C in both Maths and English language (sorry literature wont count). That is it. Most employees expect those two as a given.

Now if you are heading into a specific career then maybe a science or the like would be added. This of course doesn't cover college/university entry and you would need to check the specific course and place.

For a £60K job you would probably need a Honnors Degree, with years of experience to back it up, it definitely isn't a starting wage -the average working amount is £24K. Nor is it a wage you would attain in your early career, but something on average you would get in your 50s etc., and only when you were at the top of your chosen career, a bit like Olympian. £60K is pretty unreachable for most, where as something like £35k would be realistic for a life career. It entirely depends on the degrees you have and job experience as well as the career you choose.

I would recommend getting the highest feasible grade you can in each of priority career driven subjects, don't worry to much about the others EXCEPT English Language and Maths.

We have roughly 13 weeks to go to the exams, so plenty time of time to get head down, start revising now, do extreme prep and you've got better chances of getting the grades you want

PS one thing that will make a difference is the University you go to - so if you get a chance to go to Oxford/Harvard or in the top 5 then go there.
(edited 6 years ago)
To remain in 6th form, I just need 4 7s but employers still tend to look at your GCSEs due to no more AS level. If they see GCSEs more, they might reject someone who gets 8s(which are good grades) as opposed to the one who gets 9s. A levels would obviously be looked at but in this scenario lets say they have similar A levels. Correct me if I'm wrong(almost all the time).

What kind of jobs are you considering? As says, very few are interested in GCSEs. This is often either because a) said jobs are not reliant on academic ability, for example typical part-time work in retail or something that someone in education might be doing to earn a bit of money to keep them afloat, or b) because GCSEs have been superseded by a degree or A-levels.

Hence, there is no rule of thumb other than that they must be good enough to get you to the next stage in your education or career journey, such as A-levels, apprenticeship, on the job training etc.

No one really cares about your GCSEs but try not to get many Cs or below. Getting good A-level grades in facilitating subjects and applying to good universities is paramount however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Purdy7
I'm a mature student, well into adulthood. Depending on what you want to do, the two MUST grades are AT LEAST a C in both Maths and English language (sorry literature wont count). That is it. Most employees expect those two as a given.

Now if you are heading into a specific career then maybe a science or the like would be added. This of course doesn't cover college/university entry and you would need to check the specific course and place.

For a £60K job you would probably need a Honnors Degree, with years of experience to back it up, it definitely isn't a starting wage -the average working amount is £24K. Nor is it a wage you would attain in your early career, but something on average you would get in your 50s etc., and only when you were at the top of your chosen career, a bit like Olympian. £60K is pretty unreachable for most, where as something like £35k would be realistic for a life career. It entirely depends on the degrees you have and job experience as well as the career you choose.

I would recommend getting the highest feasible grade you can in each of priority career driven subjects, don't worry to much about the others EXCEPT English Language and Maths.

We have roughly 13 weeks to go to the exams, so plenty time of time to get head down, start revising now, do extreme prep and you've got better chances of getting the grades you want

PS one thing that will make a difference is the University you go to - so if you get a chance to go to Oxford/Harvard or in the top 5 then go there.

£60k can be and is a starting wage for a number of jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that would be very unusual. Lots of employers require at least 5 A-C grades and - far more importantly - have required grades for maths and English (may be grade C may be grade B). For an absolutely top apprenticeship post A levels such as some IT jobs or in finance related fields impressive GCSE grades may matter.

For some university courses GCSE grades matter a lot. For others less so.

Edited to add: you should aim high on GCSEs as preparation for A levels and to have a proper choice of courses.
Original post by Princepieman
£60k can be and is a starting wage for a number of jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which country is that in? Very, very rare in the UK as a graduate starting salary.
Original post by ajj2000
Which country is that in? Very, very rare in the UK as a graduate starting salary.

Here in the UK It's"rare" but possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Here in the UK It's"rare" but possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where and of what background? Working for a family company? Sure. Previous work experience at a professional level - fine.

I doubt there are many cases of normal third party applicants gaining that sort of salary.

Quick Reply

Latest