The Student Room Group

Background noise when studying - what works for you?

So this afternoon I'm working on an assignment resubmission. I have another 10 days to get it submitted but aiming to basically get it done today so I have a bit of time to get it proof read and make sure I'm completely happy with it.

I've got the Winter Olympics on the TV as a bit of background noise, but have got myself distracted a few times already... yes Lizzy Yarnold and Laura Deas!!!.... (sorry for lack of spoiler alert!)... so I'm wondering what your choice of background noise is.

Do you have music on with lyrics? Instrumental music? Something else....?
Try music with lyrics, so you can mouth the words and helps you to focus at the same time or you could try instrumental music- peaceful, helps you to focus also
Original post by jmackfall
So this afternoon I'm working on an assignment resubmission. I have another 10 days to get it submitted but aiming to basically get it done today so I have a bit of time to get it proof read and make sure I'm completely happy with it.

I've got the Winter Olympics on the TV as a bit of background noise, but have got myself distracted a few times already... yes Lizzy Yarnold and Laura Deas!!!.... (sorry for lack of spoiler alert!)... so I'm wondering what your choice of background noise is.

A documentary or Radio 4.
Reply 3
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Try music with lyrics, so you can mouth the words and helps you to focus at the same time or you could try instrumental music- peaceful, helps you to focus also

I've done this before. I was trying to think of the way I wanted to word a sentence, and ended up typing a couple of words from Ed Sheeran before I realised what I'd done...!
I've done this before. I was trying to think of the way I wanted to word a sentence, and ended up typing a couple of words from Ed Sheeran before I realised what I'd done...!

Lol:biggrin: Try music without no lyrics then
Back when I used to study I used to listen to acoustic versions of pop songs. I found that listening to the originals were too full on - but the acoustics were a little slower and calmer with less going on. Really helped me concentrate
Reply 6
I normally listen to contemporary jazz. However I will admit I sometimes get caught up in the music, but hey, that's not always a bad thing. Also a bit of cheeky choral music if I'm in the mood
(edited 6 years ago)
A friend told me to listen to a type of instrumental music called 'The river flows in you' and its beautiful, like it really does help. When you type that song in, type in 1 hour loop next to it x
Reply 8
Original post by jordon1703
Back when I used to study I used to listen to acoustic versions of pop songs. I found that listening to the originals were too full on - but the acoustics were a little slower and calmer with less going on. Really helped me concentrate

I found a spotify playlist of piano versions of pop songs, which was quite nice because I knew the song but like you say it was calmer. :smile:
I found a spotify playlist of piano versions of pop songs, which was quite nice because I knew the song but like you say it was calmer. :smile:

Exactly; I found that if I listened to songs I didn't know, and I really liked them - I'd hype myself up over a good song I'd just discovered. So my playlist worked well for me lol

I prefer piano covers of songs I like, but I can equally work just as well with songs that I've heard lots of times (i.e. unlike the radio where I might of 'ooh what's this song' and try to pay more attention to it). :smile:

Spoiler

I am +1 with the talk radio people as its a compromise and lets me study for longer if not quite at the same depth as total silence.
Personally, I usually just find a playlist with songs from a genre that I like but haven't listened to and put them on in the background, I don't find that this distracts me, in fact I barely notice if when I'm concentrating. Although relaxing songs and songs without lyrics can be good to use.

Quick Reply