The Student Room Group

Emetophobia (fear of vomit)

I've had emetophobia for as long as I can remember, I get really, really anxious and scared when someone near me is feeling really unwell, and when I have a bug myself I'm absolutely terrified to vomit.

I've got a little better through watching films and TV, because I can now bear it on screen in films, whereas that used to really shock me too.

I was wondering if anyone has overcome this phobia and if they have any tips? I'm worried that when I inevitably will vomit in my life that I won't be able to deal with it myself when living alone, or if I have a child with a bug that I won't be able to comfort him/her...

I know how this feels when I get that feelin I’m going to be sick I shake to death when I think of being sick
It’s not nice for me because it feels like you cannot breathe when you’re actually vomittjng and I get bad pressure under my Tounge.
But maybe try prevent being sick such as taking vitamins etc however just think after being sick how much better it makes u feel and it’s always better out then in as it’s getting all the bad out your system
I used to have a phobia of vomiting in public. Think it was more of a loss of dignity thing more than anything. I was sick in public once though and random people were so helpful and seemingly non-judgemental, and I realised everyone's probably done it at some point.
I'm the exact same have been for as long as I can remember. I once ran out of A and E because the lady behind me said she thought she was going to be sick - turned out I had broke 3 bones in my foot but I was not hanging about! I'm different if someone has simply drank too much but perhaps it's because I've had a few drinks as well it stops me going full blown panic attack. Yesterday on Twitter there was a video of a guy projectile vomiting in a car and I didn't expect to see it and honestly my chest got so tight and it put me on edge the whole day! It's the main reason I stay in private halls at uni so I can have my own ensuite and not get ill or hear other people! Hate it so much!
Original post by KW300417
I'm the exact same have been for as long as I can remember. I once ran out of A and E because the lady behind me said she thought she was going to be sick - turned out I had broke 3 bones in my foot but I was not hanging about! I'm different if someone has simply drank too much but perhaps it's because I've had a few drinks as well it stops me going full blown panic attack. Yesterday on Twitter there was a video of a guy projectile vomiting in a car and I didn't expect to see it and honestly my chest got so tight and it put me on edge the whole day! It's the main reason I stay in private halls at uni so I can have my own ensuite and not get ill or hear other people! Hate it so much!

I had a similar experience in A&E! I was terrified so I played music so loud it hurt my ears!

It's just something we have to deal with I guess!
Reply 5
I suffer from this too, it's my biggest phobia. Don't really have any tips for you since I deal with mine terribly but just want you to know that you're not alone :hugs:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rum Ham
I suffer from this too, it's my biggest phobia. Don't really have any tips for you since I deal with mine terribly but just want you to know that you're not alone :hugs:

Aww thank you! it's a good feeling to know that ❤️
I have this phobia too, so unfortunately no advice for you.

Every time someone mentions vomit (or even if Im in a situation where a person could vomit like a car with little kids in it) I freak out (I used to have frequent panic attacks with it).

Have been this way since I was 11 (im now 15).

You have my complete sympathy here.
Original post by independentx
I have this phobia too, so unfortunately no advice for you.

Every time someone mentions vomit (or even if Im in a situation where a person could vomit like a car with little kids in it) I freak out (I used to have frequent panic attacks with it).

Have been this way since I was 11 (im now 15).

You have my complete sympathy here.

ugh, being trapped in a car with someone who thinks they are going to vomit is the WORST!! terrifying!

Quick Reply

Latest