The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Evidence suggests that the death penalty is not at all a deterrent.

There’s no justice in killing someone because they’ve killed someone. It would make you just as much of a murderer as them.
Would you punish a rapist by raping them?
Would you punish a cannibal by eating them?
If you punch someone, you're generally going to get punched back even harder. Most people have the mindset of "an eye for an eye" and want to seek revenge. The criminal justice system doesn't do that, but human instinct is to get revenge.

I'm against the death penalty by the way (before you ask).
Original post by snowman77
If you punch someone, you're generally going to get punched back even harder. Most people have the mindset of "an eye for an eye" and want to seek revenge. The criminal justice system doesn't do that, but human instinct is to get revenge.

I'm against the death penalty by the way (before you ask).

Yeah of course. But seeking revenge isn’t justice. Punching someone because they’ve punched you can be considered self defence. I’m not entirely against the death penalty, but I think it should be used very sparingly - reserved for the worst of offenders and not used for a teenage girl who had an abortion.
ing etc
This is the second time where you've said "not every woman this, not every woman that blah blah blah" and got offended because it doesn't apply to you personally. I'm saying most women are like this, of course not every single one. There are some exceptions of course, but they are few and far between. Think of all the women who've viewed this thread. It probably applies to them. And of course they will never say "yes I agree with you". However, you will get the one or two women who this doesn't apply to, being very vocal about it.

You're missing the point. Women are almost always the choosers, so they can screw over guys as much as they want. The guys you're referring to are the 5% of men who have plenty of options available due to their status/looks/money. The other 95% have to suffer from women playing stupid games and messing them around.

women are way too emotional to even attempt such a thing. It is men who are the masteminds of stringing women along,cheating etc. you do get some women are are just the same as these men
You can think all you like but there’s no evidence to suggest that the death penalty is effective.

Okay.
So now you’re in favour of murdering 15 year old girls. Just ridiculous.

I am not in favour of doing anything to 15 year olds. I am in favour justice for everyone.
Original post by Wired_1800
I am not in favour of doing anything to 15 year olds. I am in favour justice for everyone.

‘Justice’ for murder in the form of more murder. Gotcha
(edited 6 years ago)
‘Justice’ for murder in the form of more murder. Gotcha

That is what the brave men and women did and laid down their lives to make sure you were safe to write on TSR.

Until we begin to value the life of everyone, man, woman and child, we will never truly progress. When someone takes the life of one of us, whether born or unborn, we take theirs away.
Original post by Wired_1800
That is what the brave men and women did and laid down their lives to make sure you were safe to write on TSR.

Until we begin to value the life of everyone, man, woman and child, we will never truly progress. When someone takes the life of one of us, whether born or unborn, we take theirs away.

Nice speech
Nice speech

Thank you.
Original post by queen-bee
ing etc

women are way too emotional to even attempt such a thing. It is men who are the masteminds of stringing women along,cheating etc. you do get some women are are just the same as these men
It's precisely because they are so emotional that they mess men around all the time. Their emotions and sense of rationality is so all over the place that they don't have the common sense to tell a guy where he stands.
It's precisely because they are so emotional that they mess men around all the time. Their emotions and sense of rationality is so all over the place that they don't have the common sense to tell a guy where he stands.

How many women have you seriously talked to?
Original post by Tiger Rag
How many women have you seriously talked to?
Plenty. I've had women who showed me loads of interest one week, then the next didn't even acknowledge my existence.

Sometimes I have to feed my neighbour's pet cat while they are away on holiday. The cat is very friendly when I'm feeding it, but once the owner is back, it doesn't even acknowledge my existence.

Girls are the same - if you're providing them with money, good sex (emphasis on good), you are high status or very good looking, they will show you plenty of interest. Once they get bored or someone better comes along, you are no more important than a piece of dirt on their shoe. It's happened to me before and also to guys I know.

It goes from one extreme (really liking you) to the other extreme (not even caring that you exist).
Original post by JoeyA2000
Completely agree with everything you’ve said there. And when a man breaks up with a women, men are ********s etc etc. But when women break up with men it’s ‘you go girl atttiude’ you don’t need him he’s a looser etc etc. Women are very strange creatures.
- yes if female cheats on husband, "well she was never happy with him was she, poor thing"; other way round, "love rat". And outdoor and DIY chores are not shared, man does all. Who is responsible, generally, for blocking the drain, and who is expected to do the WORST of all jobs, to clear it ?
Evidence suggests that the death penalty is not at all a deterrent

- murder rates went up enormously upon its abolition, but really, does not common sense tell you that for premeditated murder, and for some spontaneous murders, it is obviously going to be a deterrent.
The Spice Girls have a lot to answer for.
Original post by JoeyA2000
Completely agree with everything you’ve said there. And when a man breaks up with a women, men are ********s etc etc. But when women break up with men it’s ‘you go girl atttiude’ you don’t need him he’s a looser etc etc. Women are very strange creatures.

Mate we’re not ‘strange creatures’, we are humans. It’s not that hard to understand. When women break up with partners that are being a-holes to them, of course we are going to cheer our friend on. Don’t forget that in relationships, Men are the perpetrators of violence 76% of the time. So when women dodge bullets, are you suggesting we shame them for it? (Like we do when they have big sex lifes or heaps of previous boyfriends 🐸☕️)
Okay okay, I know this is a super long reply of mine but pls read it all.

Let’s get started with the first point: “the gender pay gap is a myth.” ITS SRSLY NOT. In fact, it could not be more present now than it ever was. Half the reason why actresses wore black to the recent BAFTAS wasn’t JUST because of sexual assault, but many of them said it was to campaign against unfair pay. When Jennifer Lawrence was in Silver Linings, she told in an interview that she received significantly less than Bradley Cooper, even though they were the two main stars. Jessica Chastain had a similar story in an interview about crimson peak (search it up on YouTube). And this pay gap is even bigger when you take into account black, Latino or Asian women. Simply do some research on the ‘net, and you’ll find everything you’re looking for. Google is free btw.

Now on to dating. I personally believe that whoever INITIATES the date SHOULD PAY FOR IT. and in many cases this is the man, and I know you said that men are under some ‘pressure’ from society to be the initiators. But don’t forget that if women try to go up to a guy and ask him out, she’s labelled as ‘needy’ and ‘desperate’. Besides, none of us women are ACTUALLY pressuring you guys to ask us out, in fact usually it’s your male friends, who say things like “Go get her, buddy!”. I think both girls and boys should mutually talk about their feelings before ‘going out’.
Opening doors for women, giving up ur coats, etc, are all the stereotypical ways to be a ‘gentlemen’. They weren’t started by us women, they began a long time ago with the idea that women were fragile and weak, and that men had to be the ones to ‘provide for them’. I personally hold open doors for everyone, because it’s a POLITE thing to do.

Thirdly, men are NOT the ones who are pressured to please us the most in bed! There are soooo many other factors involved with this. Firstly, women find it MUCH MUCH harder to reach orgasm and tbh we usually don’t w/men (this is why lesbians have the best sex). Not only does this make it much more frustrating for us, but it also forces lots of women to fake it for the man and just pretend to have orgasmed. If putting your own desire to orgasm aside for the sake of boosting a man’s ego isn’t the ultimate expression of commitment, I don’t know what is!

But I do agree with how men are pressured to be tough and manly all the time. This is also the reason why guys have higher suicide rates I’m sure, and it’s rlly sad. It all comes under the idea of ‘toxic masculinity’, which enforces the idea that men are strong, and women are meek- which means that both sexes are affected by it. I agree with you that it sucks, and the new feminist movement is trying to battle gender stereotypes, and let both genders do whatever they want. Toxic masculinity needs to die, I’ll agree w/you there.

Finally (thnx for reading up to this point), I believe men and women should be able to do whatever the hell they want in terms of careers and statuses in life. I don’t believe a woman’s place is ONLY ‘in the kitchen’, I believe it’s wherever the hell she wants to be. I also believe that men should be free to become stay at home dads, and shouldn’t be pressured to become the breadwinners. I personally think that household chores SHOULD be shared because.......you’re living in the same house....simple as that. It isn’t/shouldn’t be JUST the woman’s ‘responsibility’, because basic household chores are skills everyone should know.

As a feminist, I believe that men and women should have equal opportunities and punishments, such as women not getting lighter prison sentences, or men being discouraged to raise children. But I also believe that it isn’t just as black and white as that, and sometimes you have to look further in to see the reasons why our society is like that. Thanks for reading
Original post by Becca G
Mate we’re not ‘strange creatures’, we are humans. It’s not that hard to understand. When women break up with partners that are being a-holes to them, of course we are going to cheer our friend on. Don’t forget that in relationships, Men are the perpetrators of violence 76% of the time. So when women dodge bullets, are you suggesting we shame them for it? (Like we do when they have big sex lifes or heaps of previous boyfriends 🐸☕️)

It's impossible to say men are the perpetrators of violence 76% of the time. Don't forget that there is a stigma attached to men being in the end of female violence so men are far less likely to have reported it than women.
She can also pay, can't she? Why does the man have to pay?

By your logic, if she's not paying then she doesn't care about the relationship.

It was fine 50-100 years ago, because even though the man paid, the woman made up for it in other ways. Gender roles were clearly defined. These days, women are so lazy (especially young women) that they still expect the man to do all the manly duties like ask her out and pay for a date, but at the same time shirk any of the typical female responsibilities.

I hear in cultures like Latino and Asian, gender roles are still widely prevalent. The man is expected to be a man, and the woman is expected to be a woman. There is no confusion. The issue has come in Western society, where women are acting more and more like men, not wanting the negative responsibilities associated with being a woman, but still complaining that there "aren't any real men" anymore. It's pathetic.

You literally just proved feminist’s points that in order to have a decent life in this western world, you have to act like a Male.
Women don’t want to be men, we’re happy in our own skins. We just wish that we would be payed the same amount as our male colleagues are when we do the EXACT same job and amount of work.
We wish we wouldn’t be shamed for enjoying good sex lifes.
We wish that we wouldn’t have to be expected to ‘be ready for sex’ so that you boss can give you a promotion or give you a role in a movie or whatever.We wish that we wouldn’t be judged constantly by what we wear or how we look. We wish we wouldn’t be called ‘hysterical feminazis’ simply for wanting the same opportunities as you. We wish that we wouldn’t have to work extra hard at a job just to get to the same place as you are.

But no, you’re crying over the fact that men USUALLY TAKE IT UPON THEMSELVES to pay for the first date.
Wtf do you know about what it’s like to be a woman? YOU are the only one that sounds pathetic.
Original post by EpicBrum
It's impossible to say men are the perpetrators of violence 76% of the time. Don't forget that there is a stigma attached to men being in the end of female violence so men are far less likely to have reported it than women.

Actually it’s not impossible to say that, because they are real statistics. I’m not applauding any type of violence, I think that both men and women have a responsibility to try and stop it. That’s all I’m saying.

But the cold hard facts are that nearly half of all murdered women in the past year were killed by a spouse or partner, whereas only 5-7% of men were killed by their spouses.

Here’s the link: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/07/homicides-women/534306/

Quick Reply

Latest