The Student Room Group

I have a constant fear that I'm going to go blind at any moment

Is this an irrational fear to have? How might I overcome it? Is it even possible to overcome a fear of this nature? I already suffer from short-sightedness as it is, which doesn't help matters.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Less(e/o)n
Is this an irrational fear to have? How might I overcome it? Is it even possible to overcome a fear of this nature? I already suffer from short-sightedness as it is, which doesn't help matters.

A good way to overcome fears is through therapy. You should be able to discuss that with your GP or find self referral/ paid options.
Better educating yourself also helps so it might help to have a chat with your optician about if it's actually much of a likelihood. I believe there'a a big gap between the sort of issues behind short sightedness and things like blindness.
Original post by Kindred
A good way to overcome fears is through therapy. You should be able to discuss that with your GP or find self referral/ paid options.
Better educating yourself also helps so it might help to have a chat with your optician about if it's actually much of a likelihood. I believe there's a big gap between the sort of issues behind short sightedness and things like blindness.

When I last discussed the issue of short-sightedness with an optometrist, she essentially told me that human visual health is always subject to natural change over time, and that short-sightedness is merely a symptom of this. As far as I know, however, I don't believe there are any serious, underlying health issues with my own visual health, although, saying that, it has been some time since I had my last eye exam.

With regard to the actual fear itself, can it rightly be considered as irrational? Blindness is something that can happen to anyone at any time, after all.
there are many therapies which deal with this type of irrational fear. hypnosis is often effective ?
Reply 4
After stirring your tea, take the spoon out.
what is it thats making you fear that. there are a million causes for blurred eyesight. I have it as well as having massive floaters and even see flashing lights in my left eye but my optometrist told me it was just an astigmatism and my mum has even heavier blurriness in her eyes and was seeing blue rings and dark patches everywhere and as she has really bad diabetes she was almost certain it was glaucoma but even hers turned out to be nothing. same with my gran, she was actually going blind but they've just started giving her injections in her eyes and its saved her sight. so don't always assume that its blindness, it usually feels like it might be but is probably nothing.
Reply 6
When I last discussed the issue of short-sightedness with an optometrist, she essentially told me that human visual health is always subject to natural change over time, and that short-sightedness is merely a symptom of this. As far as I know, however, I don't believe there are any serious, underlying health issues with my own visual health, although, saying that, it has been some time since I had my last eye exam.

With regard to the actual fear itself, can it rightly be considered as irrational? Blindness is something that can happen to anyone at any time, after all.

I would say so yes. There are so so many things that could happen, but a lot of them are so very unlikely or out of our control that you shouldn't fear them all the time cos there's just no point. It would be a bit like if you were always excited for when a super rich guy decided to give away all his money to you for no reason. Sure it isn't impossible, but it's not something you should expect.

Hope that makes sense

So whats your prescription?
I can relate. I have -4 eyes which is pretty bad and I swear they've gotten worse recently even though I'm in my 20s so they probably should have settled by now. My mum's side has glaucoma which concerns me and I worry that maybe my opticians have missed it or that I'll get it one day.
Also, when I hear news stories of people going blind from having their drinks laced with methanol it really worries me. I genuinely don't know what I'd do if I became blind.
Original post by Anonymous
I can relate. I have -4 eyes which is pretty bad and I swear they've gotten worse recently even though I'm in my 20s so they probably should have settled by now. My mum's side has glaucoma which concerns me and I worry that maybe my opticians have missed it or that I'll get it one day.
Also, when I hear news stories of people going blind from having their drinks laced with methanol it really worries me. I genuinely don't know what I'd do if I became blind.

I'm 16 and my prescription is around -8 lol.
Original post by Ihatelife2
So whats your prescription?

-2.75/-3.00
Relatable.

well, this is unusual..! though yesterday, both of my ageing parents
were diagnosed with early-stage cataracts!! so I can see where you're coming from. I also have short-sightedness and suffer anxiety :frown:
Being short sighted won't mean you'll go blind though.
Doesn't it drive you mad? The thought always manages to claw itself to the surface of my mind every single day.

It is quite an irrational fear. I find it helps to work out the cause of your anxiety and what may have triggered the fear. Once you work it out, you can almost teach your brain that the connection it's made is false and retrain your mind. Sounds ridiculous but it's worked for me a couple of times in the past. If it's not helping then you should see a professional.

It's quite interesting to me because I have gone blind many times in relation to my circulatory condition (pre-syncope). It usually lasts a few seconds but one time it came on unusually and lasted for minutes rather than seconds and I thought I would be blind forever, but I don't have the fear of going blind. It seems you've made a bad connection to something in your past and it's turned into a phobia.
Doesn't it drive you mad? The thought always manages to claw itself to the surface of my mind every single day.

Yes and no. I constantly practice doing things with my eyes closed etc. I know where my fear comes from and I have moments where my vision tends to go blurry (not due to crying or the like).
-2.75/-3.00

Mine is around -8. Your eyesight isn't that bad.
I had that fear too. You should work on it. It is not only a fear of loosing your eyesight, it is usually something a bit deeper.
I had a very strong episode of it when instead of a practice on court the basketball coach took us outside to run at at the beach, I didn't bring glasses with me and just couldn't see anything in the dark.
Maybe you had some sort of trauma related to your eyesight or someone in the family who went blind or something..... You should really talk to a professional if you feel it is more that 'not wanting to be blind' kind of fear, like if you feel it has a bigger impact on your daily life.
Original post by Kathy89
I had that fear too. You should work on it. It is not only a fear of loosing your eyesight, it is usually something a bit deeper. I had a very strong episode of it when instead of a practice on court the basketball coach took us outside to run at at the beach, I didn't bring glasses with me and just couldn't see anything in the dark.

My eyesight feels quite poor in the dark, as well. The joys of being short-sighted, of course.

Maybe you had some sort of trauma related to your eyesight or someone in the family who went blind or something.....

No, nothing like that.

You should really talk to a professional if you feel it is more that 'not wanting to be blind' kind of fear, like if you feel it has a bigger impact on your daily life.

I think it is that sort of fear, to be quite honest. I think it stems from the fact that there are so many great and interesting things to see on planet Earth, and it would be a terrible shame to lose the ability to experience those things.

I'm considering signing up for CBT, actually: would you agree that this would be a worthwhile thing to embark upon?

Quick Reply

Latest