The Student Room Group

Boy, aged 16 to study Maths at Harvard University!!

Scroll to see replies

That was lovely to see, well done to him. I wish him well. A genuinely uplifting story.
Original post by FloralLuxe
#blackexcellence

#BlackExcellence :u:
Harvard do not offer maths courses.

Spoiler

Reply 23
Original post by Kyber Ninja
This is so true lol

Think they might finish further maths A Level by the end of the first year in their actual maths degree

Isn’t this the same with UK universities? Isn’t first year always basic?
Original post by Black Water

Take Harvard:

- A maximum of 40% of your degree must be your 'major' (which you only declare at the end of your second year)

- 30% must be 'electives' - i.e. other subjects than maths

- 30% must be General Education. and if you think this just means a core of english, maths and sciences you are wrong. it is the silliest, most wishy-washy type nonsense you could imagine, little more than studying modules like Interpretative Dance in Impoverished Vegan Cultures .
Reply 25
Original post by CollectiveSoul
Take Harvard:

- A maximum of 40% of your degree must be your 'major' (which you only declare at the end of your second year)

- 30% must be 'electives' - i.e. other subjects than maths

- 30% must be General Education. and if you think this just means a core of english, maths and sciences you are wrong. it is the silliest, most wishy-washy type nonsense you could imagine, little more than studying modules like Interpretative Dance in Impoverished Vegan Cultures .

Thanks for this. Doesn’t seem all good lol.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Congratulations to him!

In a sense he did "win" a place because to get into Harvard or any similar academic institution; an element of luck is always involved with many qualified applicants being denied a place.

Whether or not he applied through an widening access initiative or not, he would still be subjected to "Affirmative Action" type analyses by the admissions board of the university.

This is of course not to detract from his achievement and to come from adversity to get into Harvard at such a young age is an achievement in itself.

Also would implore you to search up who Ted "Unabomber" Kaczynski is... as he was mentioned in a previous post and it seems like you didn't search up who he was before you responded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kaczynski is incredibly intelligent though, and did go to Harvard at 16 as a mathematics prodigy. Unfortunately he used his intelligence to do terrible things. :mwuaha:
Original post by cat_mac
Kaczynski is incredibly intelligent though, and did go to Harvard at 16 as a mathematics prodigy. Unfortunately he used his intelligence to do terrible things. :mwuaha:

Ted in his shed
was out of his head
This is adorable omg. Hope he does well and puts it to good use 😄 Must be weird starting so young though.
(edited 6 years ago)
This is so true lol

Think they might finish further maths A Level by the end of the first year in their actual maths degree

Ye, someone i knew who went to study at princeton didn't have to do most of his first year because it was similar to A level maths and further maths lol
Original post by cat_mac

Definitely was very intelligent; just went slightly crazy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erratic_deus
The admission rate to Harvard is just over 5%.

One of the 5% happened to be Ayrton Little, who was surrounded by all of his classmates when he opened his acceptance email into Harvard!
[video="youtube;Bh37H08wa8s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh37H08wa8s[/video]

He was also offered a full scholarship and will be studying at Harvard by the time I (similar age) get my GCSE results!

Here are some articles that document his success;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5177521/Louisiana-boy-16-explodes-joy-Harvard-admission.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/harvard-university-video-teenager-win-place-ivy-league-college-high-school-louisiana-a8109936.html (This article I don't agree with - He didn't win a place. He earned it!)

http://time.com/5064523/ayrton-little-harvard-acceptance/

His friends (James Dennis) also got into Yale to study Maths at age 16 and his older brother will be studying Computer Science at Stanford!

Excellent family, excellent school and massive respect to the teachers.
Their story is extremely touching and motivating.

yet last week i wrote 2013 as the year
Original post by xnotapplicablex
yet last week i wrote 2013 as the year

Don't worry, couple of weeks ago someone was talking about their preparation for Valentine's Day and I was confused because I thought it was November.
We also had an English lesson last week period 1 Monday, and someone said they were tired, and my teacher said "don't worry, it's natural for a last period on Friday" :wink:

No, not particularly. There's remedial further maths lessons in the first term, but I'm pretty sure they go into definitive uni content in the second semester.

In the U.S, our boys are doing English, History and philosophy, or biology, psychology classes and similar things in the first year
Original post by Somtochi
Ye, someone i knew who went to study at princeton didn't have to do most of his first year because it was similar to A level maths and further maths lol

That's what I mean, someone from ours went to UChicago and did **** all for the first year, he didn't get financial aid either. So many $ for A Level tuition in humanities and maths lol
Reply 35
No, not particularly. There's remedial further maths lessons in the first term, but I'm pretty sure they go into definitive uni content in the second semester.

In the U.S, our boys are doing English, History and philosophy, or biology, psychology classes and similar things in the first year

Oh ok. They’re quite behind aren’t they.
What a soggy condom
Reply 37
That's what I mean, someone from ours went to UChicago and did **** all for the first year, he didn't get financial aid either. So many $ for A Level tuition in humanities and maths lol

Did he go to study Maths? Also what did he get for A-Levels?
Good for him for getting into Harvard.

But why do you continue to adversely connect everything to race and BME, stop trying to spread your political agenda believe what you believe but black people aren't treated like **** and there achievements are covered in the news but not identifying them as black because that is what radicals like you want.
Oh ok. They’re quite behind aren’t they.

It's why their degree is 4 years in length.

Not worth it imo, whole extra year of American tuition fees

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending