The Student Room Group

Considering leaving my masters degree if a good job offer comes up.

null and void
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DuckDodgers
Hi there,

Out of interest, has anybody left their degree to pursue full-time work?

I'm not desperate to leave myself but I'm considering my options. I have a decent amount of experience for the type work I want and while I thought a masters degree would open up even more choice, I'm starting to suspect the latter point isn't true at all.

It's the second term now and I've started to think whether I should apply for jobs in order to see what happens. I figure if get a good option then I'll leave. Why not if it's the type of career I'd look to get into after graduating anyway?

I'm aware of the financial implications. I'm also aware I'd have to find somebody to take my privately rented studio flat. I don't believe either would be any issue.

If it's not in a career you're going to go into then if you're comfortable dealing with any financial implications you've no reason to stay on the course.
Original post by claireestelle
If it's not in a career you're going to go into then if you're comfortable dealing with any financial implications you've no reason to stay on the course.

Apart from the wasted money there’s pride, a sense of achievement, a gap on the cv, losing a potential back-up plan, wondering ‘what if’ forever...

But seriously OP, you’ve got, what, another 6 months or so to go, and how long would it take to find a job you want and get through the application process? I’d recommend seeing it through. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending