The Student Room Group

How long do you revise for your A levels?

Hey guys! I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and an EPQ at sixth form. This is a rough indicator of what i should get in my GCSE (didnt revise lit or any quotes and not enough for biology, because there was too much content so i stopped).

English Language: 9
English Literature: 6
Maths: 8
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 8
Geography: 9
French: 9
Art: 9
The grades I'm aiming for:
All 9's in STEM subjects, Geography and 8's in the others (Already got 9 in Art)

Does anyone take any of these subjects and whch would you say is the hardest? I have done all the possible research on each subject and i know what's in the syllabus, but haven't looked at how hard it is. I plan on revising 3-5 hours a night from the first day of sixth form (don't need comments saying i won't, because i can and have before). During this revision, I plan on coming home, looking over what i learnt that day for the subject, writing notes on the subject and then at the weekends revising those notes. In terms of homework, i plan on doing that in free periods and the rest at home too. Does anyone take 4 subjects and an EPQ, i want to get all A* and go to cambridge to study medicine. I also plan on learning the whole of C1 and C2 in the summer holidays to put myself at an advantage; as well as look over the first module/unit of the other 3 topics and do at least half to all of my EPQ. If i do this will i definitely achieve the grades i wish as long as it's productive revision? Does anyone here take the subjects i want to do and can i get some precise advice? How long do you revise daily? Am i doing too much or not enough to be in the best position to smash A levels? How would you go about A levels if you could start again, to put you in the best postion?

Please give me some advice and maybe how it went for you, what you did and what grades you came out with or are predicted now, please? Thank You.

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I'm in the same boat as you - starting GCSE revision and wondering how hard A-levels really are. I'm thinking about taking Chem, Bio, Psych and Maths, and probably EPQ too if you're interested. :smile:
There is no such thing as c1 and c2 anymore - new spec
I take Biology at A-Level and there is a tonne of detail you have to learn.

The problem with A-Levels is that you have to get specific terms in especially in biology, you have to be able to first of all actually decode what the questions asking you since AQA are idiots and like putting the questions in some sort of caesar cipher to decode, then you have to be able to apply your knowledge and actually realise what the questions asking for, In some cases it's stating the obvious, so obvious that you don't think to right it then you can loase about 2 marks.

I can't say much for the other subjects but biology is definitely a difficult subject at A-Level, much more so than at GCSE anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by aeonLizzi
I'm in the same boat as you - starting GCSE revision and wondering how hard A-levels really are. I'm thinking about taking Chem, Bio, Psych and Maths, and probably EPQ too if you're interested. :smile:

Nice to see i'm not alone man ahah. PM me if you have any questions because i've done a lot of research on it lol. What you thinking of studying at uni?
Reply 6
Original post by Hanky2222
There is no such thing as c1 and c2 anymore - new spec

I have never been told that! What are the modules now then, because i'm pretty sure it is still taught to students as c1-4 etc
you're gonna burn out quick mate

the first few months of a level are pretty chill, it's a smooth transition and there's no real need to do that much work that early. Just stay on top of your work and you'll be fine, there's not need for 3-5 hours a day
(edited 6 years ago)
Ngl if you think Biology GCSE has a lot of content, you'll be in for a shock at A Level.
I do Bio, Chem, Maths and FM A2 and probably struggle with Biology the most haha
Original post by TheConfusedMedic
Ngl if you think Biology GCSE has a lot of content, you'll be in for a shock at A Level.
I do Bio, Chem, Maths and FM A2 and probably struggle with Biology the most haha

biology is the bane of my existence
Original post by Deliciate
biology is the bane of my existence

fully never thought it would be this hard smh why is it considered an 'easy science'
Reply 11

Read carefully please. I said it was too much content to cover in the time i gave myself. I left biology to the last minute and attempted to go through the whole syllabus in a night, so i believe i did okay, for my efforts. Biology A level isn't hard conceptually compared to Physics and Chemistry, it's just a lot of content to implant in your hippocampus, so that's why people find it difficult i presume. I plan on starting early with all my subject, especially biology, so i shouldn't have any concerns. What do you think?
Reply 12
fully never thought it would be this hard smh why is it considered an 'easy science'

Mistake 1 was not being prepared lol. I've read through the specification and looked at a few notes on physics and maths tutor for all my subject so i know what to expect, or so i believe lol. What subjects do you take? I presume it's and easy subject for those who take physics, chemistry and FM, which are a lot more challenging conceptually.
Original post by Somtochi
I have never been told that! What are the modules now then, because i'm pretty sure it is still taught to students as c1-4 etc

I do edexcel. At the end of year two there are 3 papers. Pure 1, pure 2 and statistics and mechanics. It is slightly different for other exam boards.
Reply 14
I do edexcel. At the end of year two there are 3 papers. Pure 1, pure 2 and statistics and mechanics. It is slightly different for other exam boards.

Yes...so isn't pure 1 and 2 just everything you learn in the pures(c1-4) in two exams and then s1 and m1 in the statistics and mechanics paper!?
Yes...so isn't pure 1 and 2 just everything you learn in the pures(c1-4) in two exams and then s1 and m1 in the statistics and mechanics paper!?

There are things that have been added.
Reply 16
There are things that have been added.

Yeh, so if i buy the c1 new spec book it will have everything i need, including stuff that have been added..?
Read carefully please. I said it was too much content to cover in the time i gave myself. I left biology to the last minute and attempted to go through the whole syllabus in a night, so i believe i did okay, for my efforts. Biology A level isn't hard conceptually compared to Physics and Chemistry, it's just a lot of content to implant in your hippocampus, so that's why people find it difficult i presume. I plan on starting early with all my subject, especially biology, so i shouldn't have any concerns. What do you think?

Mistake 1 was not being prepared lol. I've read through the specification and looked at a few notes on physics and maths tutor for all my subject so i know what to expect, or so i believe lol. What subjects do you take? I presume it's and easy subject for those who take physics, chemistry and FM, which are a lot more challenging conceptually.

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. Biology is still not easy, despite taking 3 other subjects which are considered 'conceptually challenging'. It's not just a case of memorising a sheer amount of content (some concepts are quite difficult to get your head around too), but also being able to apply this knowledge to cases, as it is much more application-heavy in the new spec. In addition, the mark scheme is so specific that you can write exactly what's in the textbook but still not get any marks because its not phrased in the way the exam board have specified this time in the mark scheme.
I’m doing bio, chem, politics, and an EPQ. Getting most of your EPQ done over the summer would definitely put you ahead but you need to make sure you’re doing what you’re expected to. I did my EPQ as it was given to me and I still had to re-do a lot of it since teachers don’t tend to give much guidance on it. Just getting a solid question down will give you a head start.

Not gonna lie, if you gave up on gcse biology for the content then you’re not going to have a fun time at a level. It is extremely content heavy with a lot of complex processes to learn (some 20+ steps long) and vocab is a huge part of it. However, the good thing about biology (and what makes it the easiest science imo) is that the exams are mostly application based rather than straight knowledge, so you can kind of get away with knowing slightly less detail.

Chemistry is the hardest for me without a doubt. There is a lot of detail, all of which you have to know since the exams are almost 100% straight knowledge-based questions rather than application, so you if you don’t know something then you have no way of getting the marks. Depending on how you work this could be a good thing though. It is also a lot more abstract so can be difficult to get your head around. You essentially get told everything you learned at gcse was wrong (or massively over simplified) and you have to re-learn huge amounts of theory so you have to build a new foundation too. All in all it’s pretty intense.

If you do put in the hours you’ve said you will, you will most likely do well. However, it will be hard to maintain, and sixth form is much more social than lower school, especially once everyone starts turning 18 so it could get difficult. Good luck with sixth form!
Reply 19

How did AS Maths and FM go for you?

Quick Reply

Latest