The Student Room Group

I don’t no were else to ask but I don’t no when my glasses prescription numbers mean

Just has my eye tested and I need glasses. But don’t no if there just for distance because I eyes get sore after short periods of reading. It would be great if someone could help me understand what these number mean.

It shows as follows

SPH CYL AXIS
R. -0.50 +0.50 90.00
L. -1.00 +0.50 90.00

My problem is my eyes get sore reading for short periods my optician said it’s because my two eyes have different strengths, I don’t have the glasses yet but am worried because it says online that you should not use distance for reading up close or is this prescription for both nearsightedness and foresightedness?.

Any advise would be great
Reply 1
You have astigmatism, so your glasses are for focusing. Wear them when you feel you need them. If you have to read for a long period of time without taking a break or when you watch Tv wear them.
Your prescription is very low, yet noticeable.
A little advice:
Do what your optician tells you. If they say “don’t wear your glasses all the time” or “don’t wear your glasses to read” follow these instructions.

I have astigmatism and have had my glasses now for almost 8 years. When I got mine I was really excited and ignored what my optician said about just wearing them for distances. I started at:
R. -0.50
L. -0.25

And now my glasses are thick as hell and are:
R. -5.25
L. -5.00
Reply 3
Original post by RachelPantrey
A little advice:
Do what your optician tells you. If they say “don’t wear your glasses all the time” or “don’t wear your glasses to read” follow these instructions.

I have astigmatism and have had my glasses now for almost 8 years. When I got mine I was really excited and ignored what my optician said about just wearing them for distances. I started at:
R. -0.50
L. -0.25

And now my glasses are thick as hell and are:
R. -5.25
L. -5.00

Following this logic you can improve your vision by wearing no glasses or weaker glasses for reading and up close activities. Actually you may even find it much easier to do.

I doubt it is 100% accurate that wearing glasses cause further deterioration of your nearsightedness, however, I do believe it is.
I too started at a very low prescription (-0.75 and -0.50) at 13. Not wearing glasses much, by the age of 17 I had about -2.5 and astigmatism of about -1.5). I had to wear glasses for reading too, when I was reading without glasses I ended up holding the book 10-15 cm from my face.

I still think that sometimes it is not only wearing glasses that cause deterioration, but also strain from not wearing them can cause damage. Listening to your body and eyes will be the key here. With low prescription and low astigmatism it is important to keep track, sometimes the slightest change can be very noticeable and cause a lot of strain.
So can you get glasses just for astigmatism?
Original post by Kathy89
Following this logic you can improve your vision by wearing no glasses or weaker glasses for reading and up close activities. Actually you may even find it much easier to do.

I doubt it is 100% accurate that wearing glasses cause further deterioration of your nearsightedness, however, I do believe it is.
I too started at a very low prescription (-0.75 and -0.50) at 13. Not wearing glasses much, by the age of 17 I had about -2.5 and astigmatism of about -1.5). I had to wear glasses for reading too, when I was reading without glasses I ended up holding the book 10-15 cm from my face.

I still think that sometimes it is not only wearing glasses that cause deterioration, but also strain from not wearing them can cause damage. Listening to your body and eyes will be the key here. With low prescription and low astigmatism it is important to keep track, sometimes the slightest change can be very noticeable and cause a lot of strain.

So do you have astigmatism?

Do you know if I can get glasses just for astigmatism for reading. And distance ones for driving?
Reply 6
Original post by john1332123
So do you have astigmatism?

Do you know if I can get glasses just for astigmatism for reading. And distance ones for driving?

I have astigmatism of about 1.25 now .

you can get glasses with astigmatism only just for reading.
Original post by Kathy89
I have astigmatism of about 1.25 now .

you can get glasses with astigmatism only just for reading.

Do you have classes just for astigmatism?
Reply 8
Do you have classes just for astigmatism?

No. Although I am not wearing glasses most of the time, if I want to read fine print for a long period of time I do need some decent assistance. I wear -2.50 with -1.25 astigmatism for distance now and -1.25 with -1.25 astigmatism for up close now. Just astigmatism won't help that much, still better than nothing though.

Basically what I say, it is up to you when you feel you need them wear them.
Thank you for the help. So
It is illegal for me to drive without them?
Thank you for the help. So
It is illegal for me to drive without them?

Depends on your visual acuity. Anyways, it is better with them.

Quick Reply

Latest