The Student Room Group

Which 3 subjects are the best combo?

So my combinations are:

-English Lit, Spanish and Sociology.
-Spanish, Psychology and Biology
-Law, Criminology, Sociology

No clue what I want to do when I’m older, but which is the best combination?
Currently for GCSEs I’m taking English Lit/Lang, Maths, Combined Science, Sociology, Media and Childcare

Scroll to see replies

Best for what...?

The two most notable combinations would be the first and second - the first allowing you the option of studying English and/or Spanish at uni. The second may be adequate for a few bioscience courses, and a few Psychology courses prefer students to have some scientific background (although most have no preference). It's worth highlighting that if you aren't good in the sciences it's not worth taking one at A-level just for the sake of having a scientific subject - they are all a great deal of work, with Biology having a great deal of subject content to learn in particular.

I would be wary of subject content overlap in the last combination as this is something universities tend to dislike.
Bio, chem, maths

You dare take that challenge?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Best for what...?

The two most notable combinations would be the first and second - the first allowing you the option of studying English and/or Spanish at uni. The second may be adequate for a few bioscience courses, and a few Psychology courses prefer students to have some scientific background (although most have no preference). It's worth highlighting that if you aren't good in the sciences it's not worth taking one at A-level just for the sake of having a scientific subject - they are all a great deal of work, with Biology having a great deal of subject content to learn in particular.

I would be wary of subject content overlap in the last combination as this is something universities tend to dislike.

So if I chose Spanish psychology and biology would this be okay?? And I got a 6 in the moc which was the second highest in my class :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by james ionicbond
Bio, chem, maths

You dare take that challenge?

no way!! Have the worst maths teacher literally scraped a 4 (1 mark into the grade boundary) and I dislike chemistry!
Reply 5
Biology, Chemistry, Physics/Maths
or
Maths, Further Maths, Physics
Original post by Beth286
So if I chose Spanish psychology and biology would this be okay?? And I got a 6 in the moc which was the second highest in my class :smile:

Certainly, although if you wanted to keep the possibility of English open, you may want to consider swapping Psychology for English Lit. No Psychology degrees I know of require the subject at A-level, and English Lit develops the same transferable skills as Psychology at A-level (while Psychology would also entail some statistical skills, these are also developed equally in Biology, so you've covered yourself there as well).

If you aren't that interested in English Lit, but are considering Psychology, it's a reasonable choice to make though. If you aren't so sure, then to maximise your options it may be worth considering English at least.
Reply 7
Original post by aceplayyt
Biology, Chemistry, Physics/Maths
or
Maths, Further Maths, Physics

Sorry to offend you but they are my least favourite subjects:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Beth286
So my combinations are:

Currently for GCSEs I’m taking English Lit/Lang, Maths, Combined Science, Sociology, Media and Childcare

Do they have to be in those combinations?
Out of your subjects I'd say Spanish, Biology, English Lit/Law.

Chemistry can open a lot of doors as well so could be one to consider.

Certain subjects are required for certain degrees but for degrees like Psychology, Law, Sociology and Criminology, they don't require the A level in that subject plus some colleges don't even offer them.

Which are your three favourite subjects?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
Certainly, although if you wanted to keep the possibility of English open, you may want to consider swapping Psychology for English Lit. No Psychology degrees I know of require the subject at A-level, and English Lit develops the same transferable skills as Psychology at A-level (while Psychology would also entail some statistical skills, these are also developed equally in Biology, so you've covered yourself there as well).

If you aren't that interested in English Lit, but are considering Psychology, it's a reasonable choice to make though. If you aren't so sure, then to maximise your options it may be worth considering English at least.

My brother currently does English Lit and says he doesn’t have time for any of his other subjects as he is constantly reading for it or doing work, extra research etc, so it’s kind of put me off it. I have no future desire to do anything with English however I guess results day will lead me in which subjects to take
Don't you think it'll be hard doing Spanish A-Level without GCSE?
Reply 11
Original post by Beth286
Sorry to offend you but they are my least favourite subjects:smile:

aha you can basically do any degree with those combos.

But i'm guessing you want to do more of the Humanities subjects instead
Reply 12
Original post by blawan
Do they have to be in those combinations?
Out of your subjects I'd say Spanish, Biology, English Lit/Law.

Chemistry can open a lot of doors as well so could be one to consider.

Certain subjects are required for certain degrees but for degrees like Psychology, Law, Sociology and Criminology, they don't require the A level in that subject plus some colleges don't even offer them.

Which are your three favourite subjects?

The only subject I know I definitely want to do is psychology, not for degree purposes but just because I think I will enjoy it. Then have my two fascilitating subjects Spanish and Biology as these are my two favourite from the hard subjects.
Reply 13
Original post by mundosinfin
Don't you think it'll be hard doing Spanish A-Level without GCSE?

I do it at gcse sorry I forgot to mention that one haha that’s so bad
Reply 14
Original post by aceplayyt
aha you can basically do any degree with those combos.

But i'm guessing you want to do more of the Humanities subjects instead

Either humanity or science but the only science/ social science I want to take are psychology and Biology.
Original post by Beth286
My brother currently does English Lit and says he doesn’t have time for any of his other subjects as he is constantly reading for it or doing work, extra research etc, so it’s kind of put me off it. I have no future desire to do anything with English however I guess results day will lead me in which subjects to take

There is a great deal of reading in English Lit, although there is equally a fair bit of reading beyond lessons for Psychology (probably a bit less overall though).

If you don't want to continue with English and are interested in the social sciences (which I assume based on your proposed subjects), Psychology would be a good option and the suggested combination above would be a good choice :smile:
Original post by Beth286
So my combinations are:

Id pick the first option. Seeing as you arent sure what to do afterwards yet, it keeps your options open.
Reply 17
Original post by Emma:-)
Id pick the first option. Seeing as you arent sure what to do afterwards yet, it keeps your options open.

I think I’ve decided to go for Spanish Psychology and Biology. Surely this will keep my options open two are there are still two fascilitating subjects?? :smile:
Original post by Beth286
I think I’ve decided to go for Spanish Psychology and Biology. Surely this will keep my options open two are there are still two fascilitating subjects?? :smile:

Yeah, that does keep your options open. And those are decent subjects to pick.
The reason i chose the first one was because they also keep your options open and are decent subjects.
History
Art
English Literature

Quick Reply

Latest