The Student Room Group

Boy, aged 16 to study Maths at Harvard University!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Black Water
Yeah the free guns part is still annoying. You could literally get some to sit the SAT’s for you and get into a good college. Many students have the SAT’s for other students to make a quick buck and get them into colleges the likes of Stanford, Harvard and Yale.

Yeah, honestly it's why I think MIT is king. They don't care about legacy students or money (as much, haha) like these places do.
Reply 81
Original post by thekidwhogames
I may apply to the US then lmao

I think in America there's a huge range. Either you're mathematically less able and therefore have to do these easy type of tests and stick with the syllabus or you're gifted and nurtured - I mean they do perform amazingly in IMO though not everyone is given this chance.

I have to agree with you on this. You’ll have to consider the fact that you’ll have to sit their entrance exams and you’ll need a lot of $$$.
Reply 82
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Yeah, honestly it's why I think MIT is king. They don't care about legacy students or money (as much, haha) like these places do.

Very true. This is why I think MIT is the best.
I may apply to the US then lmao

I think in America there's a huge range. Either you're mathematically less able and therefore have to do these easy type of tests and stick with the syllabus or you're gifted and nurtured - I mean they do perform amazingly in IMO though not everyone is given this chance.

Tbh, if you apply to every good college you'll probably get a few - unlimited applications bro and no minimum requirements - main reason why their acceptance rates are so low.

America? Really? I thought Asia ruled all Olympiads?
Reply 84
Tbh, if you apply to every good college you'll probably get a few - unlimited applications bro and no minimum requirements - main reason why their acceptance rates are so low.

They kind of do but American students do very well as well.

They do perform great in IMO - beating UK most times. But I've heard the USA team is mostly Asians xD
Wow maybe I should learn to play the violin and write some piece of music after seeing their admissions test.
Original post by Black Water
I have to agree with you on this. You’ll have to consider the fact that you’ll have to sit their entrance exams and you’ll need a lot of $$$.

Very true. What about scholarships?
They do perform great in IMO - beating UK most times. But I've heard the USA team is mostly Asians xD

So really, Asia is just donating opponents to give them a chance 😂

Have you noticed it's mainly Chinese and Singaporean? Japs and Koreans don't seem out of the ordinary compared to us

That's very competitive. Gonna have to be some next Olympiad champ to get in for free as an international haha
So really, Asia is just donating opponents to give them a chance 😂

Have you noticed it's mainly Chinese and Singaporean? Japs and Koreans don't seem out of the ordinary compared to us

Yeah xD

Yeah, the Chinese and Singaporean are exceptional - perhaps nurtured from an early age does contribute but their results are fantastic - some people getting 42/42 in every year whilst here, we'd be happy wit a gold (which is brilliant by any means).
Reply 91

You have to practically fight so hard to even get one. Many, hundreds of other students will also try to get scholarships which is why it’s such a big deal when you get one. You can try to get one which will make it easier.
That's very competitive. Gonna have to be some next Olympiad champ to get in for free as an international haha

Ah xD

Would BMO1/BMO2 good scores count or is IMO required? But IMO = top 5 in the country but I'm sure you don't need to be top 5 to get a scholarship?
How is he class of 2022?
I saw on an article that over 6000 people applied to Harvard alone for early entrance, I bet in the UK that number is a lot lower.
Also it says he is a high school senior so he must have moved up year groups, have you guys ever seen anyone moving up year groups because I never have?
Ah xD

Would BMO1/BMO2 good scores count or is IMO required? But IMO = top 5 in the country but I'm sure you don't need to be top 5 to get a scholarship?

I wasn't being literal, but yes, those would be great. Stuff like that, and charity, homeless shelters etc something that helps the community and helps you develop as a person.

Tbh, im not sure how much further study the IMO participants do. I did the RSC Chemistry Olympiad and got a silver with solely A Level knowledge, while the people that got gold were banging out uni level physics and chemistry books.

Is it the same with maths, do you have to self-study past further maths?
I wasn't being literal, but yes, those would be great. Stuff like that, and charity, homeless shelters etc something that helps the community and helps you develop as a person.

Tbh, im not sure how much further study the IMO participants do. I did the RSC Chemistry Olympiad and got a silver with solely A Level knowledge, while the people that got gold were banging out uni level physics and chemistry books.

My brother recently sat the Chemistry Olympiad. I think that the Chemistry and Physics Olympiads only require A level knowledge - the Chemistry one required Gibbs' energy, moles, organic chemistry (all stretched to great levels though) so it's very hard to get silver/gold.

But the Maths Olympiads are monsters xD

The Maths Olympiad require you to know university-level Maths and be able to apply it creatively - e.g. inequality theorems and proofs (AM-G-M and other stuff), modular arithmetic and Fermat's theorems, new Euclidean geometry theorems, number theory, etc. I think the reason why it's so much harder than other Olympiads is because a lot of people are mathematically gifted so they had to make it harder (and using GCSE/A level content wouldn't strech them).
Reply 96
My brother recently sat the Chemistry Olympiad. I think that the Chemistry and Physics Olympiads only require A level knowledge - the Chemistry one required Gibbs' energy, moles, organic chemistry (all stretched to great levels though) so it's very hard to get silver/gold.

The Maths Olympiad require you to know university-level Maths and be able to apply it creatively - e.g. inequality theorems and proofs (AM-G-M and other stuff), modular arithmetic and Fermat's theorems, new Euclidean geometry theorems, number theory, etc. I think the reason why it's so much harder than other Olympiads is because a lot of people are mathematically gifted so they had to make it harder (and using GCSE/A level content wouldn't strech them).

How many olympiads are you sitting lol. Is your brother doing A-Levels?

The people who get to the round 2 are often quite like that but with good a-level knowledge, you can get a gold after doing a few of the past papers as practice.

There's occasionally been organic synthesis routes and unit cells which you cover at uni level that made me suspicious. And some basic quantum mech

I still put it on my UCAS PS. Doubt it helped though, unis here don't care tbh

That's tough, no wonder so many people dodge it and go for the UK maths challenge thingy.
Reply 99
There's occasionally been organic synthesis routes and unit cells which you cover at uni level that made me suspicious. And some basic quantum mech

I still put it on my UCAS PS. Doubt it helped though, unis here don't care tbh

That's tough, no wonder so many people dodge it and go for the UK maths challenge thingy.

Can you literally apply to any universities over there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending