The Student Room Group

I got my first car is it any good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrSebWilkes
What do you want me to say?

Have a medal? It's ****?

As far as I'm concerned it's just another over-priced, over-hyped german mass production car that people buy to just seem cooler than they really ought to.

A car is a car these days; unless it does something exceptional, or has features that make it worth someone's time over just a mere runnabout it's a load of ****.

Get a classic car and then we'll talk

spot the green eyed monster...
Why is it surrounded by Bedouin tents
Original post by nevershear
What's the relevant correlation between being black and driving a range rover lol. If I see anyone who looks too young to be in an expensive car my immediate thought is (assuming) if they can afford to have access to that car, the chances are they can afford the insurance on it. Ethnics don't really come into it.

Half the time kids get pulled over driving in flashy cars is because they're driving like an idiot.

Well, the comment I quoted stated that “17 + BMW= frequent pulls” but I 100% disagree because (this is where the correlation comes in) black/IC3 males are always said to be harrased by the feds especially when driving flashy cars, but I haven’t. Ethnics are a very important factor when it comes to policing as they’ve admitted to racial profiling.
Original post by AtheClassicMan
Well, the comment I quoted stated that “17 + BMW= frequent pulls” but I 100% disagree because (this is where the correlation comes in) black/IC3 males are always said to be harrased by the feds especially when driving flashy cars, but I haven’t. Ethnics are a very important factor when it comes to policing as they’ve admitted to racial profiling.

I'm going to need you to back that up with sources. Never heard something so ridiculous in my life.
I'm going to need you to back that up with sources. Never heard something so ridiculous in my life.

The person stopped was on BBC news after posting this video on YouTube where a Met officer admitted what I said previously. You’re probably not from the South East if you’ve never heard of anything like this.

https://youtu.be/YpC2QsAIq08 skip to 4:00
The person stopped was on BBC news after posting this video on YouTube where a Met officer admitted what I said previously. You’re probably not from the South East if you’ve never heard of anything like this.

https://youtu.be/YpC2QsAIq08 skip to 4:00

London. Also one time stamp from a youtube video of a guy driving around like a pillock at night creating needless disturbance down residential roads is not "they're admitting it". I was hoping for something a bit more substantial but that may have been too much to ask.
Reply 66
Incorrect, I’ve been driving around for almost a year in a Range Rover and I’ve never been asked for my license or insurance details. Plus police barely paid any attention to a black guy cruising around in a black RR besides one time a couple bobbies were walking and they asked is that your car” and I simply replied “Yes”

I regularly drive across London, Herts and I’ve driven to Wales, so it’s definitely not a case where I don’t see police frequently. They really have no reason to stop you due to ANPR.

Where did I mention racial profiling? Young person in a flash car is reason enough to suspect stolen car or drugs and anyone fitting that profile is very likely to be pulled over. Doesn’t effing matter what colour they are!!!
London. Also one time stamp from a youtube video of a guy driving around like a pillock at night creating needless disturbance down residential roads is not "they're admitting it". I was hoping for something a bit more substantial but that may have been too much to ask.

Looool are you alright? Maybe if you actually watch the video instead of typing nonsense you would see that: he was driving around the Leicester Square/Piccadilly Circus area which is most definitely NOT a residential area, he wasn’t driving like a “pillock” or causing any disturbance by having a loud car/music and if you actually listen to the officer he said “So, naturally, if you see a car full of black guys, maybe dressed in gangsta-style clothing or whatever, when they’re driving down there, they’re getting stopped.”

The metropolitan police service has been said to be “institutionally racist” by a former chief, I know of at least 1 covert observation/documentary that proved racism in the force and there was a report that determined the met was racist after the Stephen Lawrence murder called ‘The Macpherson report’. The video alone was enough evidence but if you want more here you go
No... your car is not good because it's the first series.
Original post by nutz99
Where did I mention racial profiling? Young person in a flash car is reason enough to suspect stolen car or drugs and anyone fitting that profile is very likely to be pulled over. Doesn’t effing matter what colour they are!!!

I never said you mentioned racial profiling and I only included colour to prove that your point was incorrect as black people are known to be harassed more often by police. But if I’m driving a RR at 18 (I’m Black btw) then they definitely won’t care about a poxy 116.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jack210
It was a gift from my mum, and i realise the chances of crashing are high, but hopefully i'll drive it sensibly and safely and will be able to avoid a crash

Almost sounds like you're planning for a crash. And you won't hopefully anything. I believe the word you're looking for is I will drive sensibly and safely, otherwise you shouldn't be allowed on the road.
Wonder whether you’d even be able to drive it if they follow through with the graduates drivers licence plans...
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Wonder whether you’d even be able to drive it if they follow through with the graduates drivers licence plans...

It'd never pass legislation, we have so many u25s working in aviation it's not even funny; and almost all of them work night shifts. Then I think about hospitality staff, public services etc. Like that's a terrible idea, and it's just one less road condition they'll have experience with. If anything they should be pushing more learners to have night lessons and drive on motorways.

Looool are you alright? Maybe if you actually watch the video instead of typing nonsense you would see that: he was driving around the Leicester Square/Piccadilly Circus area which is most definitely NOT a residential area, he wasn’t driving like a “pillock” or causing any disturbance by having a loud car/music and if you actually listen to the officer he said “So, naturally, if you see a car full of black guys, maybe dressed in gangsta-style clothing or whatever, when they’re driving down there, they’re getting stopped.”

The metropolitan police service has been said to be “institutionally racist” by a former chief, I know of at least 1 covert observation/documentary that proved racism in the force and there was a report that determined the met was racist after the Stephen Lawrence murder called ‘The Macpherson report’. The video alone was enough evidence but if you want more here you go

No offence mate but talking to you is like arguing with one of those dopes who lay down on the road by T5 wearing a shirt that says #blacklivesmatter or the people who got up in arms because a little Afro kid wore a shirt that said monkey on it.
(edited 6 years ago)
@nevershear yeh there’s a lot of flaws in that idea, I for one wouldn’t be happy with having to rely on my mum to get to work again, honestly I’m just suprised more people aren’t talking about it.
It'd never pass legislation, we have so many u25s working in aviation it's not even funny; and almost all of them work night shifts. Then I think about hospitality staff, public services etc. Like that's a terrible idea, and it's just one less road condition they'll have experience with. If anything they should be pushing more learners to have night lessons and drive on motorways.

No offence mate but talking to you is like arguing with one of those dopes who lay down on the road by T5 wearing a shirt that says #blacklivesmatter or the people who got up in arms because a little Afro kid wore a shirt that said monkey on it.

“Dear nevershear, I regret to inform you that your licence to post in the Cars and motoring forum has been revoked, for being the idioting idiot you are.” I wholeheartedly agree with that statement and I saw that you’re Italian so you obviously won’t have a clue how the Met work and the racism within the force.
“Dear nevershear, I regret to inform you that your licence to post in the Cars and motoring forum has been revoked, for being the idioting idiot you are.” I wholeheartedly agree with that statement and I saw that you’re Italian so you obviously won’t have a clue how the Met work and the racism within the force.

That's an inside joke by the way. Also I'm British born, living in Britain (London to be exact) for 17 out of the last 24 years and I'm black. I hold an Italian passport through my mother as well as my British one, that's the only reason I am theoretically classed as Italian (since I am an Italian national - but I'm proud of my roots back in Italy and I wouldn't give up the citizenship for love nor money). In terms of the UK and where I've lived I'm probably far more well travelled than you as well, having lived in Cardiff, Steyning and Wem, two out of those three areas have miniscule to no black population whatsoever so if it's anywhere I'd expect to be prejudiced against - it'd be there; but I wasn't. But good try, at this point you're just embarrassing yourself, because the fact you had to dig a bit deeper and be personal because you're unable to back up your own arguments like every other clueless, angry anti-prejudice protester I come across spoiling for a fight that isn't there. You probably think Mark Duggan was a saint too.

So for good measure...

And this is me reacting to your post that I don't have a clue how the Met works bearing in mind, I've been stopped and searched before. But considering how few white people are actually left in West London, pretty much everyone they search is going to be black or asian. I also support Millwall so please, I have to deal with the Met directly almost every week as a definite.

What's next on your attack list? Apart from me needing a shave and a haircut, I'm aware of both of these.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 76

@RoyalSheepy THIS JUST IN - @nevershear looks nothing like I imagined he would look.

:facepalm2:

It was an inside joke... smh.

And this is me reacting to your post

Original post by Jack210
I'm 17 have recently got a 2016 BMW 116D M Sport for my first car, is it any good for a first car? The insurance quote that i have got on it with a black box is £1800. I have my driving test soon so hopefully i'll be able to drive soon.

I think it is totally unsuitable for a 17 year old.
Original post by Jack210
I'm 17 have recently got a 2016 BMW 116D M Sport for my first car, is it any good for a first car? The insurance quote that i have got on it with a black box is £1800. I have my driving test soon so hopefully i'll be able to drive soon.

c23bc47c-86c5-4d2f-a2d8-d4d72c0c2a4c.JPG
Attachment not found

I wouldnt have a bmw as a first car, id have something more normal.
But whatever floats your boat i suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest