The Student Room Group

My girlfriend has the flu but I need to see her

Basically my girlfriend is really upset (Because of things not related to her illness) and desperately wants me to go over to spend time with her, she has some kind of cold/flu and I really do not want to get sick but I also really want to see her. If I choose to go, are there things I can do to limit any chances of contracting her illness?

Scroll to see replies

im not an expert but its not an std so u should be good aslong as she doesnt spit
Don't kiss her / hug her, wash your hands regularly and make sure she does too. Don't touch and tissues or food/drink she's had.
take one of those 1000mg vitamin C tablets
go see her then
not difficult is it mate?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Basically my girlfriend is really upset (Because of things not related to her illness) and desperately wants me to go over to spend time with her, she has some kind of cold/flu and I really do not want to get sick but I also really want to see her. If I choose to go, are there things I can do to limit any chances of contracting her illness?

Don't smooch, drink from the same cup or share food, try to avoid touching things she has touched and wash your hands well before eating anything or touching your face and mouth, try to keep your faces at a bit of a distance and avoid touching her hands (or get her to clean them before you do).
Basically it's spread by saliva and that sort of stuff so avoid anything that could put you in contact with her saliva, snot etc.

I'm no infectious disease expert but the flu is VERY infectious and airborne; if you go meet her in person it is quite/very likely you will get ill. If a call won't do, then you will have to decide if it's worth it.
Reply 7
take one of those 1000mg vitamin C tablets

Take a few to be even better, you can't overdose on this Vitamin the body simply ignores what it won't use.
Take multivitamins as well.
Don't touch tissues and ensure she has enough that she doesn't sneeze into her bare hands or into the air.
Have antibac gel for her so she can cleanse her hands regularly and wash when possible.
No physical contact.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by james ionicbond
go see her then
not difficult is it mate?

He asked how he can limit his chances of contracting the flu, not for an opinion on whether he should see her and a condescending remark.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
He asked how he can limit his chances of contracting the flu, not for an opinion on wether he should see her and a condescending remark.

It's "whether" not wether
Reply 10
Original post by james ionicbond
It's "whether" not wether

I need to stop typing so fast.
Original post by Bio 7
I need to stop typing so fast.

That's a good one
Make her wear an astronaut helmet or something to protect you from her.
Original post by Bio 7
Take a few to be even better, you can't overdose on this Vitamin the body simply ignores what it won't use.
Take multivitamins as well.
Don't touch tissues and ensure she has enough that she doesn't sneeze into her bare hands or into the air.
Have antibac hel for her so she can cleanse her hands regularly and wash when possible.
No physical contact.

Vitamins don't help the immune system, that's a myth. And the flu is viral so antibacterial gel won't help. Might even increase risk of infection.
Reply 14
Original post by uzrnem
Vitamins don't help the immune system, that's a myth. And the flu is viral so antibacterial gel won't help. Might even increase risk of infection.

Still better precautions than nothing but a mask to cover the face is really the main one that would help.

But although vitamins don't help fight off infections really they are still important for general health which is the only reason I mentioned it.
Original post by Bio 7
Still better precautions than nothing but a mask to cover the face is really the main one that would help.

But although vitamins don't help fight off infections really they are still important for general health which is the only reason I mentioned it.

Fine, but that's not really relevant here then. As I see it, vitamin supplements are usually of no use unless you have a vitamin deficiency, in which case they are great.

A normal surgeon-style mask wouldn't be of much use, I think, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Basically, unless OP happens to be resistant against that particular stain, they will extremely likely be infected. As I said, that may or may not be worth it.

Yes, I am fun at parties.

Wear one of those mask things that doctors wear. Wear gloves.
Like this

F68BDE83-2E0C-4C37-A71E-E5D260779AB2.jpeg
Reply 18
alright, all these people told you what to do but do keep in mind that your girlfriend really needs you at the moment, so if you act/stay distant from her (which is understandable because she has flu) she will be VERY UPSET because it seems like a crucial time and she needs you; so before everything just tell her this-

Quick Reply

Latest