The Student Room Group

MA Social Work Uel

Hi!, has anyone got any hints about the interview process for getting into Uel for the Ma social work degree?Secondly, with regards to previous social work Experience, can one state voluntary care of family members/ family friend? Is this acceptable, without a certified reference letter? Thirdly, can one apply for bursary help without the student finance loan, does this give one advantage for a nomination of the bursary? I gather that the university nominates students for bursaries and it's a first come based service. Thanks all. By the way, I just got a request from UEL to produce my level 2 qualifications in Maths and English! I did them over 30 years ago in Africa!, although I have redone them at a local college 2 years ago, the Exams dept are claiming they can't find any trace that I took the tests! I took them as an initial diagnostic assessment via a computerised system, will this suffice as having passed the level 2 qualifications or will I have to go back to college and sit for the tests formally in 6 weeks as Learndirect are not permitting people to book tests alone anymore! They make you go back to a classroom for 4-6 weeks! I also have a Master's degree at law with a very high merit ( 67.8% gpa)... what do I do to get the tests done? City and Guilds and other providers require a long process too! Worried that this will delay my application to get on to the course!!!! :.(
Original post by Ambitious18

Looking after a relative doesn't count as formal experience unfortunately but you can mention it briefly on your PS. Your bursary will probably be assessed on merit and need along with any other criteria specified so check what they are. If you need level 2 qualifications you need them unfortunately. Check with the uni what they are willing to accept and work towards getting what they need.
Reply 2
Thanks @ alleycat.I did an access course in law 27 years ago in the UK. WILL THIS SUFFICE AS LEVEL 2 QUALIFICATIONS? It was accredited. I also am.thinking of tracing my certificate from the West African Certificate Exam Board whoch is equivalemt to the GCSE qualification. I am happy to resit the level 2 qualifications if it is an online based course. I can sit the exam.at the centre on the day.:,)...

Original post by alleycat393
Looking after a relative doesn't count as formal experience unfortunately but you can mention it briefly on your PS. Your bursary will probably be assessed on merit and need along with any other criteria specified so check what they are. If you need level 2 qualifications you need them unfortunately. Check with the uni what they are willing to accept and work towards getting what they need.
Original post by Ambitious18
Thanks @ alleycat.I did an access course in law 27 years ago in the UK. WILL THIS SUFFICE AS LEVEL 2 QUALIFICATIONS? It was accredited. I also am.thinking of tracing my certificate from the West African Certificate Exam Board whoch is equivalemt to the GCSE qualification. I am happy to resit the level 2 qualifications if it is an online based course. I can sit the exam.at the centre on the day.:,)...

Only the uni can tell you if your access course will be enough. I suspect not as they want maths and English and law is neither.
Reply 4

Original post by alleycat393
Reply 5
O dear...the access course was actually titled Access to Law with Business English. I think you're absolutely right about the specific requirements.

Hence, I'll stick to my alternative plan to trace this from the awarding Exam Board in Africa which is realistic than resitting the level 2 exam, which one may not pass any way, especially maths!!!

Forgotten algebra, etc! Hated maths even though I got a C in it at the time!

Thanks a mill, alleycat...

Quick Reply

Latest