The Student Room Group

What is life?

I started the sixth form in September .got into a good group went out with them to a few parties. then Christmas came, one got into a relationship, another moved on to an apprenticeship, another changed completely. this pushed me out and I no longer seem to fit in.
why do I feel so down by this? why does this affect me as much as it does?
yes, I do suffer from anxiety. yes, I have tried to reintegrate with them but they have all changed. no other group even looks at me. I am the newest there. the outsider if you like. it is a high school sixth form where most of the students are from the high school.
what can I do to fit in? what do I need to change?
It's not about fitting in. It's about standing out.
Reply 2
and how would i even do that? i don't know where to start....
Original post by Anonymous
and how would i even do that? i don't know where to start....

If you're feeling down about losing a friendship group so soon, your issues are almost entirely to do with confidence. Nothing restores confidence more than getting out there and making new friends. How about getting a job where you have to talk to strangers face to face?
Reply 4
i have a job in a cafe but i still seem to struggle. any other ideas?
i have a job in a cafe but i still seem to struggle. any other ideas?

Sorry for the late reply. Find out if you can allocate any of your time to join a sports club or gym. If fitness isn't your thing, how about volunteering somewhere?
You need some hobbies
Reply 7
i already dance and work in a cafe. i also do zumba weekly. i just stuggle in social situations...
Relate-able, I feel as if many people feel like this, and that their are many struggling with sixth form, because of the whole internal and external students, and the fact that they don't know anyone from their secondary. Currently, know how you are feeling because I have been there. Can't wait to get out of sixth from.
Reply 9
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Relate-able, I feel as if many people feel like this, and that their are many struggling with sixth form, because of the whole internal and external students, and the fact that they don't know anyone from their secondary. Currently, know how you are feeling because I have been there. Can't wait to get out of sixth from.

thank you at least someone understands. its hard enough being the only one from your secondary school, but everyone already knowing everyone is even harder. i have tried many options and none have worked.
thank you at least someone understands. its hard enough being the only one from your secondary school, but everyone already knowing everyone is even harder. i have tried many options and none have worked.

Trust me, I feel like this everyday at school, and wished my secondary had a sixth form.
I’m in a similar position, i joined a new sixth form too this year and have drifted apart from my friendship group I had at the start. Could you try and meet other people on your year? It may look like no one is paying much attention to you but it’s probably because sixth form is such a busy time and everyone is concentrating on their own thing. Try to join clubs and make friends that way perhaps.
i already dance and work in a cafe. i also do zumba weekly. i just stuggle in social situations...

Hmm, you have any friends out of schooling? The having no one to hang around with at sixth form can suck but know that at uni, there'll be new opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest