The Student Room Group

How much money do you manage to save each month?

Are you a student, working, or not? Are you saving money or going into debt? I know each month is different but how much do you tend to save, if any?

With rent, bills, food, travel and general leisure I save anything from nothing to about £400 a month, but want to think of ways to be more consistent in my saving. How do you manage to save money?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£400 a month also
I dont and the money I saved up last year got used for rent
rent takes up pretty much all my money
then again Im a student living in an expensive city

have to get a summer job just to get money to live on for the next year :redface:

but I have a standing order of £120 into my savings account every month :smile:
On average i save £750-£800 a month
I work full time
Original post by Ezisola
£400 a month also

That’s great, do you work full time? :smile:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I dont and the money I saved up last year got used for rent
rent takes up pretty much all my money
then again Im a student living in an expensive city

have to get a summer job just to get money to live on for the next year :redface:

but I have a standing order of £120 into my savings account every month :smile:

Rent is such a drainer of money! About half or my salary or more is on that and bills. Are you in halls or a house?

That’s really good :smile:
Original post by Emma:-)
On average i save £750-£800 a month
I work full time

Wow that’s so good, are you living at home/sharing a place? :smile:
I think I save roughly £200 a month and mr claireestelle saves about the same (we're about to own a house which we'll need to do a fair few things to over time so need to save a fair bit) . We have a spreadsheet budget for the whole year so know what our spending goals are and know exactly where to look at if we're going wrong somewhere. Food and mostly clothes is somewhere where we manage to save a fair bit of money, and i bought about six months worth of toiletries in bulk when there were offers on so don't need to spending anything on those for a while.
If I get a large chunk of money for whatever reason and I don't really need it, it goes into savings. After that, I put whatever I have left at the end of each term before I get my next loan payment into savings. I do want to work out a budgeting spreadsheet though so I can put savings away more regularly
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Rent is such a drainer of money! About half or my salary or more is on that and bills. Are you in halls or a house?

That’s really good :smile:

In halls this year but next year my accomodation will cost pretty much all my student finance ! so true soo expensive then in your case add in Council tax :cry2:
Wow that’s so good, are you living at home/sharing a place? :smile:

Yeah, i live at home.
I suppose it helps that im a massive tight wad.
Ive got a lot im saving up for though. My next thing being a house and then a classic mini.
Yeah, i live at home.
I suppose it helps that im a massive tight wad.
Ive got a lot im saving up for though. My next thing being a house and then a classic mini.

Do you pay for stuff since you live at home I.e. board or contribute to bills? Just curious as I live at home too :smile:
I’m an apprentice and manage to save 55% of my wage regularly. This recent payday I think I put the whole lot in, but that was to use my ISA limit up :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Do you pay for stuff since you live at home I.e. board or contribute to bills? Just curious as I live at home too :smile:

Yeah, i pay board, always have done.
Yeah, i pay board, always have done.

Me too. I think it’s very impressive that you can put such a large amount into savings :smile:
I'm a student, I work part time but I basically end up with -£50 per month

Sadly my accommodation costs more than my loan and with all my other outgoings I don't quite break even after the year rip
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by brainzistheword
Me too. I think it’s very impressive that you can put such a large amount into savings :smile:

I think it helps that im a proper tight wad. Im the sort of sad individual who watches extreme couponing etc.
Ive always been charged board though, i had no choice in that matter. And i dont go having stuff (e.g. a car) on finance either. If i cant afford it, i dont have it.
Are you a student, working, or not? Are you saving money or going into debt? I know each month is different but how much do you tend to save, if any?

With rent, bills, food, travel and general leisure I save anything from nothing to about £400 a month, but want to think of ways to be more consistent in my saving. How do you manage to save money?

I work full-time and on average I save round £1800 a month. However, I do live with my parents. I pay a small proportion of my salary towards rent, but I still manage to save 90%. My parents are kind enough to let me stay and save as much as possible in the next few years, until I save enough for a house deposit.
Depends on how much I make.
This is unrelated to anything but on the self checkout machines i tipped in all the 1p change i had and managed to buy a whole pack of bananas with it. Im so impressed with myself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending