The Student Room Group

Boy, aged 16 to study Maths at Harvard University!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
Harvard gets about 40,000 applicants in total. That's a little more than Oxbridge combined (you can't apply to both Cambridge and Oxford).

But there's a lot more students in the US and you can apply to as many as your cheque book will allow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That, and the no minimum requirement either
Original post by Black Water
What kind of a school is this lol, sounds amazing! I feel you’d fit right in with a school like this.

The stuff that you’ve done in Maths and FM will really help for Physics and Chemistry because It’ll be easy Maths for you and the concepts will be easier as well. Things like SUVAT, Momentum and Vectors will be hands on really easy for you. Yeah the grade boundaries are really low for Physics it’s like 50% for an A but the questions are solid and challenging.

If I were honestly going to compare them to you they’re stupid and they even say that themselves. None of them excel in maths as in I think they’re both doing foundation. My sister is good at sciences but struggles with maths and pretty much hates it.

Haha, I used to watch Suits but then stopped for some reason. I didn’t exactly use Netflix or anything like that to watch it. I used websites (you know what I mean :tongue:).

Brothers are always to much to handle for any mother lol. Your brother is a surgeon?! Do you mind me asking what medical school he went to? Your parents must be so proud of him. Is he currently working? :smile:

Yeah I'm hoping I do xD It does look pretty good!

That's true I suppose - I encountered most of these topics in Maths and done SUVAT and variable acceleration (calculus stuff). The grade boundaries are a saver thou xD

Do they know mathswatch and other stuff like that - it helps a lot.

Yeah I used to watch Suits too but I stopped as I think I stopped liking them (it got a little bit repetitive) xD Yeah I get what you mean

Yeah but he studied abroad in Ukraine. Yeah he's currently working :smile:
Reply 142
Original post by thekidwhogames
Yeah I'm hoping I do xD It does look pretty good!

That's true I suppose - I encountered most of these topics in Maths and done SUVAT and variable acceleration (calculus stuff). The grade boundaries are a saver thou xD

Do they know mathswatch and other stuff like that - it helps a lot.

Yeah I used to watch Suits too but I stopped as I think I stopped liking them (it got a little bit repetitive) xD Yeah I get what you mean

Yeah but he studied abroad in Ukraine. Yeah he's currently working :smile:

Yeah then Physics should be a breeze for you, lucky. Aren’t the FP1 grade boundaries like really high?

They have quite a few resources yet they don’t bother and they’re not really interested in it I guess.

That’s exactly the reason why I stopped watching it! It just got boring for that reason. Do you know anymore websites that you could PM me because the ones that I know don’t work anymore which sucks.

Your brother is so lucky, he got out of this country. Abroad studying sounds amazing as well! Does he work here or Ukraine?
Original post by Kyber Ninja
SAT is GCSE Level content.

If you score 1500, you're on the top 1%.

ACT is closer to A Level. ACT Maths will have A Level type content in it for example. Still below stuff like C4 though

There's also SAT tests for Chemistry, Biology, physics etc that are laughably easy.

I'm sure if you do it on your first go you'd get a high score. it's really a pathetic test.

America's SAT and GPA system is why unis there look at ECs. It's hard for a student to differentiate themselves because their curriculum is styled in terms of BTECs. Ie no end of year exams and ****. Just lots of coursework. It really goes against able students.

I thought ACT and SAT were generally supposed to be equivalent?
http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/undergraduate/educationusa-advice/applying/admissions-exams/which-exam-to-take

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah then Physics should be a breeze for you, lucky. Aren’t the FP1 grade boundaries like really high?

They have quite a few resources yet they don’t bother and they’re not really interested in it I guess.

That’s exactly the reason why I stopped watching it! It just got boring for that reason. Do you know anymore websites that you could PM me because the ones that I know don’t work anymore which sucks.

Your brother is so lucky, he got out of this country. Abroad studying sounds amazing as well! Does he work here or Ukraine?

Yeah, they're generally like very high but it's fine I suppose.

Ah, that's fair game. They like other things?

Yeah! And I watched it on Netflix so sorry, don't know any other links. You watch Daredevil and other MCU stuff?

Yeah, he works there but not a lot of money is given to doctors there.

in terms of favour, yeah.

however, if you look at this paper, the verbal side seems a bit more long winded, and the maths is definitely a higher level up than the SAT

(Maths is again towards the end)

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/360031/ACT-2015-16.pdf?t=1518746121945
in terms of favour, yeah.

however, if you look at this paper, the verbal side seems a bit more long winded, and the maths is definitely a higher level up than the SAT

(Maths is again towards the end)

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/360031/ACT-2015-16.pdf?t=1518746121945

But doesn't that just get adjusted in the bell curve. The exams are being taken by the same cohorts (primarily 17 year old US-based university undergraduate applicants). So you might find the SAT is easier but you have to get a higher raw mark...?
Original post by Doonesbury
But doesn't that just get adjusted in the bell curve. The exams are being taken by the same cohorts (primarily 17 year old US-based university undergraduate applicants). So you might find the SAT is easier but you have to get a higher raw mark...?

Yeah, if you're good at harder tests then the ACT could be good for you.

I think AP knowledge of Maths (AS Level) is clearly assumed, so I can't imagine it being too popular of a test, given the higher prep it needs.

Pointless IMO if you're not applying for competitive unis - the SAT is quite easy in that making a mistake in the maths section usually drops you down to 790, which can affect your chances at high end places. Naturally someone who is strong in maths but makes silly mistakes would fare better on the ACT. But since non-competitive unis don't need a high SAT score, silly mistakes are fine (so long as they're not too many).
Reply 148
Yeah, they're generally like very high but it's fine I suppose.

Ah, that's fair game. They like other things?

Yeah! And I watched it on Netflix so sorry, don't know any other links. You watch Daredevil and other MCU stuff?

Yeah, he works there but not a lot of money is given to doctors there.

People are just shook because of the crazy boundaries.

Brother likes nothing he’s like one of those f-boys. Sister likes Bio and Chem.

I need to watch Daredevil, Luke Cage and other shows like these. :biggrin: I watch Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash and Arrow.

Oh right fair enough. Has he considered moving to another country? :smile:
Depends on what you think makes a good student.

People say Oxbridge academics don't want to break you, honestly they do. Ironically my Imperial interview was harder - it was a whole session on NMR of weird ass molecules with weirder names. Ones in America care more about what the person brings outside of academia. I think they care more about the person (which also includes grades), rather than subject ability alone which is what Oxbridge prioritise.

Oh yeah I had the same experience in that my Manchester interview was harder than my Cambridge one, at least in terms of the questions involved. The focus on academics over here seems a lot more fair than how they treat applicants in America.
People are just shook because of the crazy boundaries.

Brother likes nothing he’s like one of those f-boys. Sister likes Bio and Chem.

I need to watch Daredevil, Luke Cage and other shows like these. :biggrin: I watch Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash and Arrow.

Oh right fair enough. Has he considered moving to another country? :smile:

Yeah, hoping they lower.

They're pretty good shows but the MCU ones are waaay better. Check them out! Black lightning is also fun.

Yeah, hopefully he'll come to the UK and practice medicine.
Reply 151
Yeah, hoping they lower.

They're pretty good shows but the MCU ones are waaay better. Check them out! Black lightning is also fun.

Yeah, hopefully he'll come to the UK and practice medicine.

Thanks, I’ll check them out. :smile: yeah he should come here, despite the gruelling hours the pay is decent.
Thanks, I’ll check them out. :smile: yeah he should come here, despite the gruelling hours the pay is decent.

No problem and yeah I hope he does - London isn't as bad as people make it.
Reply 153
No problem and yeah I hope he does - London isn't as bad as people make it.

Yeah that’s true. London does have its perks.
Yeah that’s true. London does have its perks.

Yeah. I'm probably off to bed so good night! :smile:
Reply 155

Good night! :smile:

Good night! :smile:

We've derailed this thread so badly lol
Reply 157