The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The RAR
The waves of crimes including cyber bullying and terrorism just doesn't stop, while we can find the perpetrators they are simply let off too easily for example recently in the Amanda Todd case the blackmailer wrote a letter saying he was "innocent" which made me very angry at how he doesn't have any remorse for Amanda's death and was only sentenced for 11 years in prison this year like is this a joke? The blackmailer deserves the death penalty because people like him just don't change.
If we bring back the death penalty crimes both physical and online will drop.
So what do you guys think?

I’m not pro death penalty as is - But cyber bullying hardly warrants execution.
If we bring back capital punishment, what method would we use?

Hanging?
Lethal injection?
Electric chair?
Gas Chamber?
Firing squad?

Also will it be for the whole of the UK or just England and Wales?
Original post by ScottishBrexitor
If we bring back capital punishment, what method would we use?

Hanging?
Lethal injection?
Electric chair?
Gas Chamber?
Firing squad?

Also will it be for the whole of the UK or just England and Wales?

Whichever is the most efficient and humane. Most likely the injection.
Original post by Dot.Cotton
YES. Why on Earth should the taxpayer have to pay through the nose to keep them locked up in prison? Much more convenient just to dispatch of them immediately.

For people like serial killers, terrorists etc that have been put in prison for a large number of years, then yes i agree.
Prisons also need to be harsher in general than they already are. People wont be so keen on committing crime and going to prison then if they know what its like.
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
Whichever is the most efficient and humane. Most likely the injection.

When someone has done something serious enough to have to be given the death penalty, who cares how humane it is. I do agree with the most efficient way though.
Original post by Emma:-)
When someone has done something serious enough to have to be given the death penalty, who cares how humane it is. I do agree with the most efficient way though.

What's the point in uneccasary violence? Even if releasing dogs or torturing someone was somehow more efficient, I would never support killing some brutally. There is absolutely no need for it in a civilized society.
I have a better idea everyone.
Please hear me out.

What if we got criminals to run on a hamster wheel that would also generate electricity. Instead of giving sentences in years we give them in Kilowatts. Those who have committed extremely heinous crimes can run for the rest of their life. Simples.
What do you guys think?😁😁😁
We get free energy and the criminals get punished.
Reply 88
Original post by Ihatelife2
I have a better idea everyone.
Please hear me out.

What if we got criminals to run on a hamster wheel that would also generate electricity. Instead of giving sentences in years we give them in Kilowatts. Those who have committed extremely heinous crimes can run for the rest of their life. Simples.
What do you guys think?😁😁😁
We get free energy and the criminals get punished.

That actually sounds pretty sensible!
I believe that these criminals should be made to live (in jail) with what they’ve done. Some people might argue that the death penalty would be the easy way out.
To give power to a judiciary (which ultimately means giving power to a government) over the lives of its people is wrong in too many levels to even discuss it.
It’s such a hard one to decide but personally I say that once they’re dead they’re dead. If they were to be named as not guilty later in life there’s no turning back and then everyone will be saying how it shouldn’t have existed. But the victims with the worst crimes should have to prove they’re fit before they can re enter society and if you take a life then you should stay in prison confined for life. They shouldn’t get the same treatment as people who are say doing a year or so. I personally believe that the death penalty is wrong unless that verdict are 100% certain the criminal is guilty and how can people possibly be executioners?! I mean killing people for a living, sounds like a hitman to me
Arguably the death penalty doesn’t fix anything but in my honest opinion it would help avoid murders from happening. Nowadays, especially in London kids get murdered like they mean nothing and murderers do it because they believe they can get away with it unpunished. That way before murdering everyone one will think twice before doing it because they know if they get caught they may end dead too. I haven’t been living in the UK for long nor do I know if the homicide rate trend is increasing or telling otherwise but if it’s the former then measures need to be conceived and adopted to put an end to this
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tremen222
To give power to a judiciary (which ultimately means giving power to a government) over the lives of its people is wrong in too many levels to even discuss it.

Thats too simplisitic. Also, we have a juries, you realise that right.
Thats too simplisitic. Also, we have a juries, you realise that right.

It is also true that parliament makes laws, not the jury, not the judge. Political systems are constantly evolving, and what we have right now is probably not what we will have in ten or a hundred years' time: that is why basic, positivist, "simplistic" values are necessary.
Original post by The RAR
That actually sounds pretty sensible!

Yup. All green and clean energy. No fossil fuels and stuff.
It is also true that parliament makes laws, not the jury, not the judge. Political systems are constantly evolving, and what we have right now is probably not what we will have in ten or a hundred years' time: that is why basic, positivist, "simplistic" values are necessary.

So your problem is that a democratically elected government can make laws?
So you're problem is that a democratically elected government can make laws?

No, my problem is that you just pulled a big fat straw man on me.

So people elect a hypothetically hugely majoritarian government, then the government, using its populist political capital seizes the judiciary (appointment of supreme court etc...), creates laws as it mays and threatens its opposition through wielding the power of surreptitiously used death-penalty. That's the problem.
The problem also lies when society makes arbitrary moral judgements and uses the death penalty to steal the life of an otherwise innocent individual (take death penalty upon gay sex as it happens in many religious-majority countries).

Don't say this kind of stuff doesn't happen, it has happened in South America and Africa too many times to count in recent history. I should also add that in many countries minor treason is punished with death penalty as well.
Of course the UK isn't Africa or America, but this kind of turn of events has happened in European countries in the very recent past.

This is why death penalty is wrong in principle, because it places the life of a human at the mercy of society. This then causes multiple metaphysical disparities: what is the point of "always protecting life" in medicine, if society decides which lives are worth keeping?.
No, my problem is that you just pulled a big fat straw man on me.

So people elect a hypothetically hugely majoritarian government, then the government, using its populist political capital seizes the judiciary (appointment of supreme court etc...), creates laws as it mays and threatens its opposition through wielding the power of surreptitiously used death-penalty. That's the problem.
The problem also lies when society makes arbitrary moral judgements and uses the death penalty to steal the life of an otherwise innocent individual (take death penalty upon gay sex as it happens in many religious-majority countries).

Don't say this kind of stuff doesn't happen, it has happened in South America and Africa too many times to count in recent history. I should also add that in many countries minor treason is punished with death penalty as well.
Of course the UK isn't Africa or America, but this kind of turn of events has happened in European countries in the very recent past.

This is why death penalty is wrong in principle, because it places the life of a human at the mercy of society. This then causes multiple metaphysical disparities: what is the point of "always protecting life" in medicine, if society decides which lives are worth keeping?.

It wasn't a malicious question, I was simply trying to understand your views better. No strawman intended.

The argument that innocent could be killed is weak at best. Given the insane superiority of our legal system, it's unimaginably hard to convict an innocent person, much more so high-profile crimes at that. We've only have 5 innocent people executed in the past century years. That's 5 more than I'd ideally like, but we've also come a long way since then.

I don't see why your comparing the UK to third world countries so I'm just going to ignore that part.

As for your 'places the life of an individual at the mercy of society' argument, I claimed we have juries which do just that. You didn't seemed to acknowledge that answer for whatever reason - something to do with government making the very laws the decision are based on, but still, the public is making the decision at the end of the day.

As for your medical argument, I personally support enthusia, so you can't really use that against me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 99
When people kill rape and beat others for their gain they give up their human rights and should be killed quick out the way,I don't care how it's done but shot in the head would be the cheapest and most efficient way.dont start going on about reforming them,if someone murdered or raped my daughter or anyone else's they want shooting quick,yes that's because I am emotionally envolved and that's a good enough reason for me and any father who disagrees with me is lying or unfit to be a father.

Latest

Trending

Trending