The Student Room Group

Failing A-levels tbh :((

So I took geog, psychology, bio, and chem ( + EPQ but that's going to end soon, THANK THE LORDS :yeah:)
The only subjects I'm not failing are geog and psychology, I've been failing my bio and chem tests even though I try and revise as much as I can!

I'm really worried because I want to aim for Medicine, but the grades I've been getting (B-U's mostly E's and D's) are not good, I'm really anxious because I feel like I might fail my mocks as well and not get the desired predicted grade???
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't worry, you're not the only one! How do revise for biology and chemistry?
Keep revising, and make sure you go over what you get wrong. It's the only way to improve.

Also, I'd suggest dropping Psychology or Geog so you have more time for Bio and Chem
Reply 3
Original post by Appazap
Don't worry, you're not the only one! How do revise for biology and chemistry?

I mostly use flashcards and go through exam papers but I feel like I just don't understand most of the things because my teacher doesn't really explain it well :frown: I've tried going over it on my own but without the basic understanding of things, I can't understand the other topics!

I wish I was still doing GCSE's right now tbh :colondollar:
Reply 4
How are you finding Geography? Out of Bio and Comp Sci I am finding Geography really challenging simply because of the lack of past papers, the spec has changed a lot
Reply 5
Yeah, I'm not giving up so easily but it's a little disheartening to see the bad grades I get even though I put in the effort in revising for them.

I don't really want to drop it, partially due to the fact that I didn't take Maths or Physics but I am considering it now tbh.
Reply 6
Original post by S a i n t
I mostly use flashcards and go through exam papers but I feel like I just don't understand most of the things because my teacher doesn't really explain it well :frown: I've tried going over it on my own but without the basic understanding of things, I can't understand the other topics!

I wish I was still doing GCSE's right now tbh :colondollar:

Well imo, there's no point in making flash cards and doing exam papers if you do not understand the content. Have you tried youtube videos? When i struggled with chemistry, videos helped a lot because they teach it to you.

Overall, i think you need to start from all the stuff you did in Year 12 and go through it all till you understand it. I think the way A2 works is that AS is the building blocks, so if you have bad foundation you will not be able to understand A2.

Most of all, continue working hard and lets all pray our hard work pays off in the end.
Reply 7
Original post by The RAR
How are you finding Geography? Out of Bio and Comp Sci I am finding Geography really challenging simply because of the lack of past papers, the spec has changed a lot

What exam board are you doing for Geog? :smile:
I feel like it's okay but very case-study and content heavy, there's a lot of info to remember but I feel like I'm doing okay.
Yeah, I'm not giving up so easily but it's a little disheartening to see the bad grades I get even though I put in the effort in revising for them.

I don't really want to drop it, partially due to the fact that I didn't take Maths or Physics but I am considering it now tbh.

Speak to a teacher if necessary, put some more hours, in, and again just make sure you're going over what you're getting wrong. I'm not gonna sugar coat it but if you're getting an E then you're either completely not understanding the content at all, in which case you should ask a teacher for more help, or aren't revising mate.
Reply 9
What exam board are you doing for Geog? :smile:
I feel like it's okay but very case-study and content heavy, there's a lot of info to remember but I feel like I'm doing okay.

Edexcel and the book the teacher gave us isn't working
Original post by Appazap
Well imo, there's no point in making flash cards and doing exam papers if you do not understand the content. Have you tried youtube videos? When i struggled with chemistry, videos helped a lot because they teach it to you.

Overall, i think you need to start from all the stuff you did in Year 12 and go through it all till you understand it. I think the way A2 works is that AS is the building blocks, so if you have bad foundation you will not be able to understand A2.

Most of all, continue working hard and lets all pray our hard work pays off in the end.

Oh gosh, I'm in Year 12, not Year 13 :redface:
Oh gosh, I'm in Year 12, not Year 13 :redface:

that's even better!!!! like others have said, i would suggest dropping one of your subjects. And you still have time to turn things around so don't worry :u:
Yeahhhh that's the problem I don't understand the content, I've asked the teacher for help but they don't really explain it very well. I've tried learning most of it on my own but it's not really making much sense ngl.
Original post by Appazap
that's even better!!!! like others have said, I would suggest dropping one of your subjects. And you still have time to turn things around so don't worry :u:

I'm just worried about my mocks I think, it's important mostly because the teachers are gonna decide what predicted grade they should give me that's why I'm stressing out :redface:
Reply 14
So I took geog, psychology, bio, and chem.
The only subjects I'm not failing are geog and psychology, I've been failing my bio and chem tests even though I try and revise as much as I can!

I'm really worried because I want to aim for Medicine, but the grades I've been getting (B-U's mostly E's and D's) are not good, I'm really anxious because I feel like I might fail my mocks as well and not get the desired predicted grade???

I’m failing too
I’m considering dropping out and self teaching the courses myself
Yeahhhh that's the problem I don't understand the content, I've asked the teacher for help but they don't really explain it very well. I've tried learning most of it on my own but it's not really making much sense ngl.

There's E Rintoul and dachemguy and others for Chemistry, and Biology is just memory really so you gotta chunk it down.

Also ask your friends for help since they can explain it on a level that's more familiar to you

I’d do some research into which ones but you can get into Med school with chem and psychology as your second science - if psychology and geog are your strongest then I wouldn’t advise to drop one of them!
Original post by IDOZ
I’m failing too
I’m considering dropping out and self teaching the courses myself

I mean it's your choice but don't drop out and keep on trying! You'll probably end up doing well so don't worry :smile:
Reply 18
I mean it's your choice but don't drop out and keep on trying! You'll probably end up doing well so don't worry :smile:

I’m taking it to the end of the year, as that’s the time they kick people out of the school
Thanks for the advice, I'll see if my friends will consider helping me out :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest