The Student Room Group

What can I do with these a levels? Should I change them?

Spanish, Psychology and Biology. No clue what I want to do after sixth form maybe a degree apprenticeship but not clue what in.
Original post by Beth286
Spanish, Psychology and Biology. No clue what I want to do after sixth form maybe a degree apprenticeship but not clue what in.

I'd say if you enjoy the subjects, then that's the main thing. There will be many who don't know where their paths will take them, so I'd say do the subjects you enjoy.

Maybe you could take a look at some available degree apprenticeships and see what they require. If you take a look at different industries you may even find some that you'd like to pursue.

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword
I'd say if you enjoy the subjects, then that's the main thing. There will be many who don't know where their paths will take them, so I'd say do the subjects you enjoy.

Maybe you could take a look at some available degree apprenticeships and see what they require. If you take a look at different industries you may even find some that you'd like to pursue.

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to help :smile:

Thankyou! I’ve tried to look on the find apprenticeships link someone put on here but nothing has came up apart from engineering which I am not interested in :/
Original post by Beth286
Thankyou! I’ve tried to look on the find apprenticeships link someone put on here but nothing has came up apart from engineering which I am not interested in :/

Hmm... do you have any sort of industry that you are any bit interested in, even if it's just for curiosity's sake? Would you like to pursue something related to your A-levels, or do you feel that one is of particular interest to you that you'd like to apply it in every day/real life situations?

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by Beth286

I would advise getting a rough idea of what you may like to go into. Although, most degrees do not require any pre-requisite a-levels some may and it might be worth getting an idea of the fields you might be interested.

If you find yourself struggling, maybe have a chat with the careers team at your school and see if they have any possible suggestions. If those are the three subjects you enjoy the most and think you will do the best in, then that is the most important factor, personally.
Reply 5
Hmm... do you have any sort of industry that you are any bit interested in, even if it's just for curiosity's sake? Would you like to pursue something related to your A-levels, or do you feel that one is of particular interest to you that you'd like to apply it in every day/real life situations?

Spoiler

I either want to work in an airport which is why I think Spanish would be a good a Level also I enjoy it. Another option is working in a kids club abroad in a hotel as I’m currently doing gcse child development and think that would help me. Or biology and psychology could lead to me doing immunology at uni but I’m more interested in the airport/abroad working.
Reply 6
Original post by JYP
I would advise getting a rough idea of what you may like to go into. Although, most degrees do not require any pre-requisite a-levels some may and it might be worth getting an idea of the fields you might be interested.

If you find yourself struggling, maybe have a chat with the careers team at your school and see if they have any possible suggestions. If those are the three subjects you enjoy the most and think you will do the best in, then that is the most important factor, personally.

I’ve got an interview on Tuesday about my a level options so I could mention it then :smile:
Original post by Beth286
I either want to work in an airport which is why I think Spanish would be a good a Level also I enjoy it. Another option is working in a kids club abroad in a hotel as I’m currently doing gcse child development and think that would help me. Or biology and psychology could lead to me doing immunology at uni but I’m more interested in the airport/abroad working.

All of these sound interesting!

What about something related to Travel and Tourism, or perhaps Health and Social Care? Even if it's not the job you want to commit to for the rest of your life, if you went for an apprenticeship and got a qualification and transferable skills that relate to these areas it should help you get there :smile:

Have you done any work experience anywhere, that might give you a flavour of what an industry has to offer? If not, this might be your best bet, seen as your still at GCSE level and have time to work everything out. If you can dip your toes in and see what's out there then it might be worth grabbing lots of opportunities whilst it doesn't commit you to anything long term and then you can make your mind up :smile:
Reply 8
All of these sound interesting!

What about something related to Travel and Tourism, or perhaps Health and Social Care? Even if it's not the job you want to commit to for the rest of your life, if you went for an apprenticeship and got a qualification and transferable skills that relate to these areas it should help you get there :smile:

Have you done any work experience anywhere, that might give you a flavour of what an industry has to offer? If not, this might be your best bet, seen as your still at GCSE level and have time to work everything out. If you can dip your toes in and see what's out there then it might be worth grabbing lots of opportunities whilst it doesn't commit you to anything long term and then you can make your mind up :smile:

Yeah I guess I could do an apprenticeship but maybe after a levels instead, but I would love to do it in travel and tourism or even be a flight attendant. Sadly I didn’t do any work experience in year 10 as I never really thought about it and deeply regret it now as I don’t really have any time. Everyone says they start in February half term to revise for GCSEs so I’m starting on Monday so I’ve not really got much time free as from Monday. What would an apprenticeship degree in travel and tourism do- is it even a thing?
Original post by Beth286
Yeah I guess I could do an apprenticeship but maybe after a levels instead, but I would love to do it in travel and tourism or even be a flight attendant. Sadly I didn’t do any work experience in year 10 as I never really thought about it and deeply regret it now as I don’t really have any time. Everyone says they start in February half term to revise for GCSEs so I’m starting on Monday so I’ve not really got much time free as from Monday. What would an apprenticeship degree in travel and tourism do- is it even a thing?

Nowadays there are apprenticeships in pretty much everything so it would be worth a look. I only did work experience in Year 11 and it was after my GCSEs and after I'd left school so there is still time if you wanted to do it. Plus, you won't be able to confirm any places on anything until after you've got your results so you have about 2-3 months.

Colleges also push for you to do more work experience so if you went to do A-levels and then took every work experience opportunity it'd help you in deciding between uni and an apprenticeship :smile:
Reply 10
Nowadays there are apprenticeships in pretty much everything so it would be worth a look. I only did work experience in Year 11 and it was after my GCSEs and after I'd left school so there is still time if you wanted to do it. Plus, you won't be able to confirm any places on anything until after you've got your results so you have about 2-3 months.

Colleges also push for you to do more work experience so if you went to do A-levels and then took every work experience opportunity it'd help you in deciding between uni and an apprenticeship :smile:

With taking the subjects Spanish Psychology and Biology for a levels (hopefully) what sort of work experience do you recommend? I either want to work for an airport or Spanish translator or work in a hospital and do immunology. That being said, what sort of work experience could I do??

Quick Reply

Latest